Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tamarind Closed Down [Reopening]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Its a pity, iv been in that place a few times and always got good food. Always seemed like there was a few people in there aswell, never looked like it was struggling.

I thought the vouchers they gave were set up in a good way so that it wouldnt cost them too much. The voucher cost 15 and got you €30 credit. A 2 course dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine (which is what I bought when I was in there) cost significantly more that 30. So the voucher got you a bit of a discount but the restaurant was still making money on the meal. It wasnt like some of those vouchers where a business makes a loss on every one sold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The people who owned Tamarind also own Olives in Salthill, so if you have a voucher and want to ask them to refund or honour it, contact the owners/management of Olives.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

antoobrien wrote: »
    The rates are decided in Dublin not by the local council, so they don't have much of a say in the matter.

They are not decided in Dublin;
    What is the Annual Rate on Valuation & how is it calculated?
    Following the consideration of the Annual Budget each year, the City Councillors determine the Annual Rate on Valuation for the following year. The Annual Rate on Valuation is the product obtained when the total shortfall in Council income is divided by the cumulative total of all valuations of rateable premises in the city. The shortfall between the cost of providing all services and the income from Government funding is recouped through the collection of Rates

More information here;
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/Finance/AccountsReceivable/CommercialRates/

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

mufan wrote: »
    i and my family have bought those groupon vouchers and im so angry that we are going to be out that money iv sent an email to living social but im sure like everything else it will take them an age to reply and they will deny liability. Sure to god that the owners knew back in October that business was in trouble, yet they were allowed to advertise with groupon and take customers money knowing that they would probably be not in business in the forseable future.

I have sent the email too looking for a refund - lets see what heppens

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Seaneh wrote: »
    The people who owned Tamarind also own Olives in Salthill, so if you have a voucher and want to ask them to refund or honour it, contact the owners/management of Olives.

Are you sure?
    I doubt that very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

don't think this is right and even if it is there is no way one restaurant will redeem a voucher for another. even the two lasalsa in town won't redeem vouchers for the other

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

100% not true. Can guarantee they were different owners. was looking on trip advisor also and people the last month was giving faitly bad review about how cold the restaurant was so chances are they knocked of the heat is well to save money so looks like they saw it coming

don't think this is right and even if it is there is no way one restaurant will redeem a voucher for another. even the two lasalsa in town won't redeem vouchers for the other

Them la salsa are different owners is well. Same family but different owners different delivery services, different prices ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Owldshtok

Just a wild card comment here,I have no insights into this at all.If business was still reasonably good for Tamarind the owner could have decided to close for any number of possible reasons other than difficult trading conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

It wasnt rent or rates.

Go on....

• Advertisement

100% not true. Can guarantee they were different owners. was looking on trip advisor also and people the last month was giving faitly bad review about how cold the restaurant was so chances are they knocked of the heat is well to save money so looks like they saw it coming

Well my ex used to work in Pan Thai in Oranmore, was her who told me that the owners of Pan Thai owned Tamarind and Olives.

If I'm wrong, then I retract my previous post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

mufan wrote: »
    i and my family have bought those groupon vouchers and im so angry that we are going to be out that money iv sent an email to living social but im sure like everything else it will take them an age to reply and they will deny liability. Sure to god that the owners knew back in October that business was in trouble, yet they were allowed to advertise with groupon and take customers money knowing that they would probably be not in business in the forseable future.

hopefuly you'll get the credit amount to use on another LS deal .I bought a photobook voucher from one of the deal companies. had problems with the company meant to print thte book. the deal site credited my account by the amount.

e-mail, tweet LS, check if there's a phone number.

I really liked the place, lovely food.
    it's a hard one about a company still taking money when 'they know they're going out of business'. I'd imagine there's always a chance they mightn't but if they stop taking money in it's going to increase the chance of them closing. they have to keep trading in the hope they stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

It wasnt rent or rates.

;)

Owner/s of tamarind don't own the place mentioned in salthill

heard of someone else but its only hear say that it was owned by a married couple that had a bad break up but that doesnt explain the liquidation. just the restaurant used to be wedged every weekend, very hard to get a table if u just walk in, and it sat about 160 people and weekdays seemed busy enough is well, they would of had a good summer especially with volvo ocean race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Ate in Tarmarind a few months back and the food wasn't great. Orders were mixed up too. I swore never to return. Was a pity but we had guests and thought Tanaribd was a sure thing but turned out to be such a let-down. Nonetheless it's sad to see another business go under.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

There shouldn't be a problem for anyone getting money back from any of the voucher deal sites (e.g. Living Social) due to a business closing down. I know someone who had a voucher via one of these discount voucher sites for a restaurant which subsequently closed (the lease was up and they decided not to renew). My friends rang the voucher company and they were offered to either get their money back, or an equivalent voucher for a restaurant connected to the one which had shut down. They went with getting their money back.

Very sad to see this restaurant shut down as I really liked it. I ate their quite recently (on a voucher as it happens).

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

As regard these groupon or ls vouchers, I had one for a hotel in Clare that expired months ago simply because they were booked up all of the weekends that I wanted during the summer. However, they are still honouring it and we are going next weekend even though they legally don't have to. I spoke to them nice, though, and explained the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too bad they've gone, I've eaten there over 50 times and never had a bad meal.

biko wrote: »
    Too bad they've gone, I've eaten there over 50 times and never had a bad meal.

Yeah, there was a time where for about 2 years I ate there every other sunday with a group of friends for lunch, and even though I got bored of their menu at times, I never had a meal I wasn't happy with!

I especially liked their Tom Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

There's an article in this week's sentinel (reading the online version, no link) with some numbers regarding what they owed.

Has assets of 434,000 with debts of 470,000. The directors of the company are among the biggest creditors - owed 172,000 in 2011, with trade creditors being owed about 40k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Maggiecrowley

I purchased a gift voucher from Tamarind 3 weeks ago! I imagine they had an inkling that they were about to close so it was really bad form to carry on selling vouchers if they knew the possibility was there that people would not be able to redeem them! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

I purchased a gift voucher from Tamarind 3 weeks ago! I imagine they had an inkling that they were about to close so it was really bad form to carry on selling vouchers if they knew the possibility was there that people would not be able to redeem them! :mad:

Did you happen to pay by credit card?

You could reclaim it from the card company if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Atticusfinch

Just seen tamarind have closed down, they have a notice on there door saying they have ceased trading. Anyone know why, always thought it was the busiest restaurant in Galway

Just heard this is reopening. Any idea where?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Opening in Salthill.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Beside da roberta in salthill I think. One of the doors there that lead upstairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 magicc

They are above Da Roberta - Salthill. I got message that they open from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Maybe thread title should be changed?

Advertisement