Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which iPad?

• 21-11-2012 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

I am going to get an IPad for Xmas. Not sure which one to get. I think the iPad 2 will be sufficient as its mainly for a larger screen I am looking for. The only worry I have is that I am hoping for it to last may 2/3 years. Will there still be updates or support available for it then? Or is there anything that is on the 3 or 4 that is must have? Thanks guys!

Comments

If possible, spend the extra €80, and get a third gen.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5087444/Trail/searchtext%3EIPAD.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

If possible, spend the extra €80, and get a third gen.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5087444/Trail/searchtext%3EIPAD.htm

There is a 4th gen now...

gzoladz wrote: »
    There is a 4th gen now...
    Yeah, I know, but as OP says they just want a bigger screen, and ipad 3 will get updates longer than ipad 2, and is more powerful, which is why I said go with that.

If OP has the extra €109, then yeah go for 4th gen, I just don't see a point considering the main point of the fourth gen was to push the lightning connector (I know it has a superior CPU).

Stick with ipad 3 and get best of both worlds.Quick and has thousands of accessories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,895 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Absolutely no point getting the a second gen, especially if you want it to still be in some relevant in a couple of years.

Get something with retina, even if it's only a 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The problem with the 3rd gen is that the processor isn't really good enough for the retina screen.

Still a way better option than the iPad 2 though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The problem with the 3rd gen is that the processor isn't really good enough for the retina screen.

Would love to hear what your iPad 3 has problems displaying Zapp. Haven't had any problems with mine.

OP, if the budget stretches to it I would definitely go for the iPad 3. Maybe even consider a 2nd hand one from adverts. I'm sure there are people that just couldn't resist replacing their iPad 3 with the 4th generation model. Alternatively keep an eye on the Apple refurb store, products are indistinguishable from new ones and come with the same warranty as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Thanks for the replies the budget is an issue as I need to get 2. I might hold off getting mine till next year and just get one for the Mrs for now. What is the lightning connector?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Antibac wrote: »
    What is the lightning connector?
    Just the name for the smaller connection port on the bottom of the device. Not a deal breaker in my book.

Getting an iPad with the retina screen (a 3rd or 4th gen) absolutely is, however. Go second hand if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Thanks Guys! Anyone have any ideas on the mini? Would it be to small of a screen? It doesn't seem to have a retina screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭brennarr

Good deals to be got at the Apple refurb. store. I got myself and iPad 3 there for €389 which I am delighted with but they seem out of stock at the moment. iPad 2 going for €319 at the moment.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Antibac wrote: »
    Thanks Guys! Anyone have any ideas on the mini? Would it be to small of a screen? It doesn't seem to have a retina screen?

It doesn't have a retina display but the smaller form factor is fantastic, my iPad 3rd Gen has hardly been looked at since I got the mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Graham wrote: »
    Would love to hear what your iPad 3 has problems displaying Zapp. Haven't had any problems with mine.

OP, if the budget stretches to it I would definitely go for the iPad 3. Maybe even consider a 2nd hand one from adverts. I'm sure there are people that just couldn't resist replacing their iPad 3 with the 4th generation model. Alternatively keep an eye on the Apple refurb store, products are indistinguishable from new ones and come with the same warranty as new.

When I compare it side by side to an iPad 2 it really isn't much faster. Whereas compare an iPad 2 to a 4th gen and the difference is clear. (To me at least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'd recommend the 3rd Gen refurb. It's €389 so it's cheaper than the iPad 2 new and not only do you get the Retina screen, faster processor, better cameras etc but you get some of the iOS features not available on the iPad 2 like Flyover & Siri. Not major things to some people but they're nice to have.

I'm waiting on one to pop up myself on the refrub store. Ordering for a family member. It's the better deal between the two and the refurbs are like new.

Advertisement