Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics strategy

• 21-11-2012 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Is it possible to only focus on certain parts of the course and still get an A1 or near?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No I wouldn't think so, you'll have to do all of the chapters and one of the options

Cumpulsory:
    1. Optics / Waves
    2. Mechanics
    3. Heat
    4. Electricity
    5. Electricity and Magnetism
    6. Atomic Physics

Options:
    1. Particle Physics
    2. Applied Electricity

You have to answer 3 questions from 4 in Section A
    And 5 from 8 in Section B, you're really testing your luck if you leave out sections from the syllabus. The only real choice you have is your options question, if you want an A1 that is

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Rokeefe

dtfo wrote: »
    Is it possible to only focus on certain parts of the course and still get an A1 or near?
    Got an A1 last year and no u don't have to do all the chapters to get an A1. The most important section in physics is the mechanics section, ull get an experiment, some short qs, q6 and a part of q12 out of it. Theres no need to do an option question, there's plenty of choice on the paper anyway nd I found the material alot more challenging and I'd class myself as being reasonably competent. I wouldn't spend too much time on the first few electricity chapters if I was in ur position. Just a tip about what I was goin into the exam thinking: q1,2 and 3 out of the exp and 5,6,11,12 are normally the easiest qs on the paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭JackTheGrinder

Rokeefe wrote: »
    Got an A1 last year and no u don't have to do all the chapters to get an A1. The most important section in physics is the mechanics section, ull get an experiment, some short qs, q6 and a part of q12 out of it. Theres no need to do an option question, there's plenty of choice on the paper anyway nd I found the material alot more challenging and I'd class myself as being reasonably competent. I wouldn't spend too much time on the first few electricity chapters if I was in ur position. Just a tip about what I was goin into the exam thinking: q1,2 and 3 out of the exp and 5,6,11,12 are normally the easiest qs on the paper

Howya, have to say I like your thinking, I am doing physics for the lc this year, been a b1 or so average so far so hopin to push for the A1, I just wondered what is your best advice on what to study the least? i hate electricity and magnetism but like most everything else... would you be willing to share your notes btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

My physics teacher showed me these two links in class. The first one is a podcast about exam strategy for LC physics - http://thatsmadthatis.podomatic.com/entry/2009-05-13T06_01_48-07_00

The second links is a podcast of all the definitions for the course, its just a guy reading and his voice isn't overly exciting but if you want to listen to them on a school bus or in the evenings you can just put it on in the background

http://thatsmadthatis.podomatic.com/player/web/2009-03-16T08_39_11-07_00

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ella.cole

I find the electricity and magnetism chapters very hard! Are they necessary?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

dtfo wrote: »

Well, my friend last year left out whole topics (not sure which ones) and he got an A1. He is really smart and got 625 though so I'm not sure how one would go about leaving out topics...

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

I'm definitely leaving out magnetism . . its the most boring piece of crap I've ever had to sit through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

U can leave things out if you know other things REALLY WELL.

I got an A1. But never learned mechanics(Q6)

BUT I made sure I knew every single experiment(plus did all the experiment questions from exam papers)

Then I did every single Q 5

Left out mechanics q6 but knew everything else. I always taught there was to much mechanics to learn for just a question. Maybe 2 questions.

But I repeat. If your leavening bits out. Make sure you study the other stuff REALLY WELL

Advertisement