Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wish I could go back to the 90s.

• 21-11-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

I forgot to add this to the title: RANT

Just to experience the gaming community from back then. I absolutely despise the community in this day and age. All I've seen these days now are people gettin' slagged for playing a certain game over another. To some degree it's okay because it's console wars, comes with the experience. But I've actually seen people refuse, literally not even LOOK at a certain game in contrast to it's alleged rival.

eg: Someone who is all about Call of Duty but will never, ever lay a finger on Halo or Battlefield.
    Then there's that one who prefers Battlefield over Call of Duty due to it being "more realistic".

I'm sorry, but is realism what solely drives someone to playing a game? In my childhood and early teens it was just game-play and how COOL a game played that drove people from my generation into the game. The poison today that is now next-gen, HD, sometimes even 3D, sound effects has really messed up the minds of gamers today.

Another great example is that I get slagged rotten for being a massive fan of the Dynasty Warriors series, because they're "too repetitive, the graphics are shít, the voice-acting is horrible"......... Last time I checked, I like Dynasty Warriors because I love the style of game-play....I know the graphics aren't great, I know the voice-acting is horrible, in-fact, I laugh at some of the dialogue! And I couldn't care any less about them being repetitive. People tell me "why are you playing Dynasty Warriors, they're so repetitive" ... Nooooo I was playing it all those years I was never aware. :rolleyes:

Game-play seems to be a secondary preference to the people I've seen in the Xbox forums and other game-forums elsewhere.

Why is that though? Is it because it's possibly the same people from my generation (i'm 23) that has gone past all of that "cool gameplay" experience that it's all boiled down to just graphics and how a game "feels" ?

People from the generation of the Megadrive/SNES and to some extent, the PS1, hardly mentioned how realistic a game was surely? I certainly don't recall hearing anyone saying Sonic the Hedgehog had better graphics than Super Mario......... I don't remember having arguments with anyone on how realistic MGS was in comparison to Syphon Filter (I don't know, name a shooter to compare MGS1 to).

I miss chatting about how cool a game was to play. Now it's all arguing if someone doesn't like what someone else thinks of a game.

The community of gamers these days makes me sad as a gamer myself to see the sheer aggressive comments aimed towards rival games/consoles/fans.

I saw someone saying Halo was only for "geeky little f*ggots"... and he also stated that Call of Duty and Battlefield were for "real gamers" to let the "geeks have their Halo". Like..... jesus christ it's only a video game.

Maybe it's the fact I'm so open-minded when it comes to games. I'll literally play anything, I always have. I can play FIFA and go on Battlefield after that, then switch over to Call of Duty and fit a bit of Halo into it after I play that. Then when I'm done on Halo sure why not play a bit of Forza after. Done with the Xbox so I'll turn on the PC and play a bit of World of Warcraft. Then I'll shtick on some Command and Conquer when I'm done on that. AH SURE, I'll play Pro Evo 2013 for a bit get some progress done on Master League.

I went a bit into too much detail but that is almost exactly what I'm like. I play anything and everything. I love games in general it's my favourite passtime it always has been. Away ta f*ck with the gamers of today and revive the 4th Gen consoles. They were more friendly :D

MAASSIVE apologies for the close-to-pointless rant but I had a lot to say. So I said it. :)

All disputes and contradictions to what I said are welcome. I tend to talk nonsense a lot. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bring back Monkey Island and SWOS.

I agree but I just want controllers with fewer buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Clearly the OP is a Quake 3 n00b. UT 4eva

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I've been playing games for over two decades now and these arguments and attitudes have always existed. I remember the Commodore 64 v Spectrum rows, the Megadrive v SNES battles, Amiga v Atari ST skirmishes, Playstation v Saturn wars and so on.

Gamers, especially young gamers, have always argued that their system/game of choice was the best and everything else was ****e, it's just more visible now on forums and twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Can we at least agree that anyone who prefers Mortal Kombat over Street Fighter II is a grade-A numpty?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I've been playing games for over two decades now and these arguments and attitudes have always existed. I remember the Commodore 64 v Spectrum rows, the Megadrive v SNES battles, Amiga v Atari ST skirmishes, Playstation v Saturn wars and so on.

Gamers, especially young gamers, have always argued that their system/game of choice was the best and everything else was ****e, it's just more visible now on forums and twitter.

I'm prepared to accept that I suppose. Maybe it's the crowd of people I was hanging around with or knew. I was going from what I saw from my own perspective and how it's evolved for me. I never took into account that it was a different standpoint from other people. I just assumed it would've been the same for everyone else because it was the same for everyone I knew but you've got a good point.

It's incredible though, the amount of holy-war that goes on over a game or system, some that goes beyond just argument-sake and defending the system/game franchise you love. (Gamer 1, wishing death upon a relative of Gamer 2, because Gamer 2 likes Call of Duty and Gamer 1 hates it) I d'know.

Maybe, like I said in my original post, it's probably the fact I'm just so laid back on what games I enjoy playing. If anything I'd probably argue that video gaming rules and board-rpg-gaming sucks arse, it's the only argument I'd have in that particular category of arguments :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Sega does what nintendont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Limericks wrote: »
    Sega does what nintendont.

Go out of business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Go out of business?

First time hearing Sega has gone out of business. But I guess nintendo is what genesisn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Limericks wrote: »
    First time hearing Sega has gone out of business.

As a console manufacturer, yeah, I think we can say they went out of business. Shame too. Loved the Megadrive. Bought one a few years back out of pure nostalgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Pretty much covers it.. my cousin used to argue how his megadrive was better than my snes.... he was obviously just jelly of SMW and Zelda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sacrilege! Ass-kicking Mortal Kombat over Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter Turbo Ex + Alpha any day!

OP you'd do much better to just either couch co-op or just game with friends/people you've met online/boardsies and stick with them. That way you don't have to deal with the foul-mouthed brats again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Man, I started my PC gaming career in 1996 , you are right, it was a golden age.

But show those games to people today for the lolz...

Back then- 0.00000001 per cent of people really played

Now every fekker does.

I wish they'd all bugger orf

edit, I actually started on a 48k , but thats another thread. Jet Set Willy FTW

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you don't like realistic games or football games then don't play them. There's plenty on the handhelds, iOS, Android and PC indie scene to fulfill your needs. However if you are one of those people that thinks something like Valkyria Chronicles or Mario Galaxy is too 'kiddie' then you only have yourself to blame and I've no sympathy for you.

Gaming isn't as good as it was in the ninties but it's also not worse than the 90's. The interesting stuff is just isn't on the big home console platforms or is less exposed than the big AAA games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sacrilege! Ass-kicking Mortal Kombat over Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter Turbo Ex + Alpha any day!

Oh you delusional Mortal Kombat fans. You crack me up every time. Go back to playing your barely playable janky beat'em ups, I'll be busy enjoying King of Fighters and enjoying it because it's fun not because I'm impressed by gore (disclaimer: Mortal Kombat 9 is the exception, it was far better than it had any right to be coming from such an awful series).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Sentences that contain have "Go back to..." is pretty dismissive, I don't like it. Might we MK fans prefer it because it's simply a lot of fun? :) It's Oasis vs Blur all over again....Anyway, MK9 was absolutely sublime, I loved how they re-told the first 3 games, a perfect mix of nostalgia and making the whole series feel fresh and invigorated again. Street Fighter could definitely learn something from that; a nice 8-9 hour campaign going through SF history/storylines could be great.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sentences that contain have "Go back to..." is pretty dismissive, I don't like it. Might we MK fans prefer it because it's simply a lot of fun? :) It's Oasis vs Blur all over again....

Dismissive? Yeah that was what I was going for. As for Oasis vs. Blur, it's more like the Pixies vs. Boyzone to be honest. The MK games weren't good games, you thought they were fun because your impressionable teenage mind was impressed by the blood. Also I'm not being dismissive here, I was one of them as well. Going back to playing them now and they are pretty naff, no depth to them what so ever, not Rise of the Robots bad (although the first game comes close), there just wasn't an awful lot to them.

Street Fighter might benefit from a better single player experience, however playing fighting games so you can out cheese cheesey AI is missing the point. MK9 wasn't great because it had a good single player mode, that was a bonus. It was the first MK game to have a decent combat system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

*kombat system

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dismissive? Yeah that was what I was going for. As for Oasis vs. Blur, it's more like the Pixies vs. Boyzone to be honest. The MK games weren't good games, you thought they were fun because your impressionable teenage mind was impressed by the blood. Also I'm not being dismissive here, I was one of them as well. Going back to playing them now and they are pretty naff, no depth to them what so ever, not Rise of the Robots bad (although the first game comes close), there just wasn't an awful lot to them.

Street Fighter might benefit from a better single player experience, however playing fighting games so you can out cheese cheesey AI is missing the point. MK9 wasn't great because it had a good single player mode, that was a bonus. It was the first MK game to have a decent combat system.

The thing about Mk that people who don't like MK don't seem to get is that it's not all about buckets of blood. Mk fans like MK because they are fun games. No, they're not as in-depth as Street Fighter, but that doesn't mean they are not fun. I'm a huge fan of the series (and also a huge SF fan), and have been since back in the day. Going back to play the older ones now, I can safely say the original MK ain't great (I can say the same for the original SF), but MK2 and MK3 are still great fun. They've still got the same charm now as they had then.

Well there's no accounting for taste. For me the MK games at best were amusing distractions rather than something I'd actually put a significant amount of time into. They just aren't rewarding unlike better fighters.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well there's no accounting for taste. For me the MK games at best were amusing distractions rather than something I'd actually put a significant amount of time into. They just aren't rewarding unlike better fighters.

Always enjoyed them myself. Mk is, without a shadow of a doubt, my favourite gaming series. I won't deny that it lost it's way on more than one occasion though. It doesn't live up to Street Fighter in the gameplay department, but it's definitely more interesting. Great characters, storylines, and a phenomenal little universe. Also a ton of nice little secrets scattered thoughout the series.

S...s...storyline...?

"Go on, beat the ****e out of that lad/demon/fella in a paddy hat!"

Syferus wrote: »
    S...s...storyline...?

Yes, storyline. Back stories for the characters, where the ending left them, rivalries them, reasons for holding the tournament, yadda, yadda, yadda- Storyline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

it was always like this; just nowadays any idiot can get to play online (you dont need a pc).

Really must stick on my Sega Saturn. Shining Force 3 is calling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

personally I prefer street fighter ex plus alpha 2 hovis wholemeal edition.

Also, we're banging on about SF Vs MK in a thread about how people are overy defensive abou their favourite games... Oh, the ironing! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Ahh the old days were the best , what a load of cack , ive been playing games also for 25 years and they are much better now than the early stuff.
    i can remember spending 4 hours typing in a game from a magazine for the zx81 that then crashed on launch and you had to wait for next weeks edition for the "sorry for typo on line 526 ".
    Do i miss that , or playing 1 game for 2 months solid ..
    No ..really games have evolved over the last 1/4 century , and for the most part are much better.

Compare RTE in the 80's to 100+ channel sky now , different world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep there has never been a better time to be into videogames than right now. Even if you don't like what's coming out at the moment, there's still 30 years of great games there for you to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Syferus wrote: »
    S...s...storyline...?

Yes, story, something which is missing from every SF game if memory serves me correctly. If they did have stories, then they must not have been good at all, because i can't remember anything other than M Bison being the bad guy, Vega from Spain and Ryu gave Sagat a scar.

MK has a rich history, from the creation of Noob, the rivalry between Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Mileena and Kitana, Shang Tsung, Shao Kahn, Shinnock, Quan Chi, the history between Lui Kang and Kung Lao, the Elder Gods, the different plains. I don't think the great SF had any spin-off single player games (a la Mythologies and Shaolin Monks).

Boon and Tobias always had stories, reasons for fighting, even if they weren't great. Plus, the first MK film was way better than any live-action SF. :P

On topic, the rivalry was always there, but as others have pointed out the internet has made stoopid people more vocal. Bring brought up in the country in the 80's & 90's meant that the only internet i had was 56k dial-up and was strictly used for slow loading a picture of a naked burd for fapping, and having the fap finished just after the breasts load. So i wasn't introduced to online gaming until the mid 00's. And, as such, i wasn't aware of online gaming communities, so i couldn't get involved in any flame war and get some wrong opinion of one thing being better than the other for no good reason.

I like a bit of rivalry banter, but i won't play games just because they're on a different format, made by a certain company or because the thousands of fools out there tell me not to. I won't play games if i don't like them (i'm looking at you, Halo).

• Advertisement

I've played dozens of fighters and not once has one had anything that even remotely approaching a good story. The closest to enjoyable would be Tekken's CGIs, and that's because Tekken has always had a very intentional air of parody about it. Even then it's pretty much entirely forgettable.

If you're playing fighters because you like the 'storylines' (I put it in inverted commas because every single fighter's premise is completely arbitrary), even in part, you're playing the wrong sorts of games.

Advertisement