Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wish I could go back to the 90s.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I've been playing games for over two decades now and these arguments and attitudes have always existed. I remember the Commodore 64 v Spectrum rows, the Megadrive v SNES battles, Amiga v Atari ST skirmishes, Playstation v Saturn wars and so on.

Gamers, especially young gamers, have always argued that their system/game of choice was the best and everything else was ****e, it's just more visible now on forums and twitter.

I never got caught up in the whole, "my computer is better than yours" thing....mainly cause I had an Amstrad 464,so I'd only be fighting a loosing battle. How my eyesight is still intact from that ****ing green screen is a miracle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fanboy wars are never going to go away, it's just human nature. It's been proven that if someone has to take a stance on something they'll choose one side or the other immediately without even thinking about it then defend that position with all their passion and reason without taking into account any arguments against it.

It explains MK fanboys really well. [/Troll.]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fanboy wars are never going to go away, it's just human nature. It's been proven that if someone has to take a stance on something they'll choose one side or the other immediately without even thinking about it then defend that position with all their passion and reason without taking into account any arguments against it.

It explains MK fanboys really well. [/Troll.]

I don't know man it sounds like a personality thing more than anything else.

I like the Tomb Raider series but I know it has flaws. If someone wanted to tell me that they think the Uncharted games are better I'd certainly listen to them and I wouldn't feel the need to tell them that they're wrong and the game I like is better.

Closed minded people aren't worth your time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well it's something I learned from college lectures, thought it was interesting when applied to fanboys.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sacrilege! Ass-kicking Mortal Kombat over Super Mega Ultra Street Fighter Turbo Ex + Alpha any day!

OP you'd do much better to just either couch co-op or just game with friends/people you've met online/boardsies and stick with them. That way you don't have to deal with the foul-mouthed brats again :)

He very specifically said MK vs SF2, and in that case, the originals, only an eejit would think MK is the superior game!
    Syferus wrote: »
    I've played dozens of fighters and not once has one had anything that even remotely approaching a good story. The closest to enjoyable would be Tekken's CGIs, and that's because Tekken has always had a very intentional air of parody about it. Even then it's pretty much entirely forgettable.

If you're playing fighters because you like the 'storylines' (I put it in inverted commas because every single fighter's premise is completely arbitrary), even in part, you're playing the wrong sorts of games.

Play Blaz Blue or MK9 and come back to me on that.

Some FGs focus on being hyper competitive tournament games, some spend more time on having storylines and tutorials for casual players.

• Advertisement

Well it's something I learned from college lectures, thought it was interesting when applied to fanboys.

Fanboyism is a different kettle of fish alright.

I'd love to see a David Attenborough style mockumentary on the subject of fanboys... think of the potential.

Fanboyism is a different kettle of fish alright.

I'd love to see a David Attenborough style mockumentary on the subject of fanboys... think of the potential.

That'd be amazing.

"Here's the CoD fanboy in his natural habitat... hear the distinctive "newfag" call he makes when clashing with another young male"

“During a ‘multiplayer session’ the fanboy issues violent, real-world threads to his competitors knowing full well that he has neither the means nor the physical capability to carry them out.”

"The fanboy stops. Genuine fear can be seen in his eyes. There's a familiar glow in his room. It's red. He stares down at the machine, and sees the rings. It can only signify one thing. Death."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right, anyone who thinks that 80-90s game were better should take off those rosé tinted glasses and snap the **** out of it.

There were good games and bad games back then. And guess what! There are good games and bad games these days!
    People should just play what they like.

As for our little off topic:
    Fighting games fans ( specially street fighter fans ) makes me always laugh. For me fighting games were only games to have fun with a company. Even these days I play fighting games only when having few drinks with friends. I play MK, tekken ( don't know even witch one, just on Xbox 360 and I always use some Asian fella in suit and hat :D ), MVC etc. Never really liked street fighter games, just nobody around played those and I did not liked its characters as they are as generics as ****.
    And then you meet a "professional" fighting gamer, who LOVES street fighter and all other fighting games are pure shiet and should not exist. Whatever dude, I don't care I just like that slut in some blue ninja suit with daggers. She has great boobs! She makes awesome sounds when I kick my buddies face in, while he tries to get a sip from his can of Budweiser ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The only thing that's changed since the 90s is more people are playing. I've been playing games since the BBC micro and this fanboy thing has always been there. The realism thing was even bigger back then though, there was always something new coming out. Back then it was the amount of colours it used or even the first time 3d or actual video was used in a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I don't agree that nothing, or at least not much, has changed. The OP is mistaken in that these 'fanboy wars' are not a novel development, and were very much a feature of the 1990s, but the industry has obviously changed massively. As has the types of games that are being made

The quality of games has certainly gone up with buggy messes now the exception rather than the rule - one benefit to consolisation and the increasing professionalism of the industry - but I'd argue that the variety and invention of the 1990s has largely been lost; another, less positive, by-product of the aforementioned trends. The stupefying march of franchises and increasing reliance on rules-led design has really, IMO, led to a sharp drop in creativity within the industry. It's increasingly rare to see a genuinely innovative (in terms of setting or mechanics) AAA title these days

Compare to the incredibly fluid years of the 1990s (when barely a year or two went by without a genre rising or dying) and I really think we've lost something. To put this in perspective: the ten years between Wolfenstein (1992) and Medal of Honour (2002) saw the FPS be born, rapidly evolve through Doom and Quake, practically invent multiplayer and be reinvented in Half-Life and, ultimately, MoH. In the decade since MoH the genre has barely advanced, with the largest titles being churned out according to a barely changing template. Outside of the indie sphere there's less variety, less ambition and less scope

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

Reekwind wrote: »
    Compare to the incredibly fluid years of the 1990s (when barely a year or two went by without a genre rising or dying) and I really think we've lost something. To put this in perspective: the ten years between Wolfenstein (1992) and Medal of Honour (2002) saw the FPS be born, rapidly evolve through Doom and Quake, practically invent multiplayer and be reinvented in Half-Life and, ultimately, MoH. In the decade since MoH the genre has barely advanced, with the largest titles being churned out according to a barely changing template. Outside of the indie sphere there's less variety, less ambition and less scope

Well Half Life 2 came out in 2004(jesus nearly 10 years) and I think it set a new standard for FPS's that has yet to be surpassed. Particularly the gravity gun which was just incredible at the time, never having the opportunity to mess around with the physics of the game.

But I agree since then there has been a dearth of innovation, with all the big name series like COD and Halo playing it relatively safe.

I blame the obsession with online multiplayer, its really killing campaign innovation and when most of these games ending up a ghost town online within a few months, you wonder why they put it in at all? :confused:

There's always been a dearth of innovation within the industry. The last time there was any kind of innovation was during the 80's home computer era when there was a lot of bedroom coding. Make no mistake, shovelware and generic games were selling well in the early 90's as well. There were very few innovative games, at most they were iterating on previous ideas. Also anything that was innovative like Homeworld, or System Shock 2 etc. hardly set the charts on fire. People look back on those days with fondness because they can see 10-15 years worth of game development. New ideas and games weren't coming out every month in the 90's either.

Gaming has always been a big business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Reekwind wrote: »
    The quality of games has certainly gone up with buggy messes now the exception rather than the rule -
    I don't remember getting buggy games back then. You had no internet for patches so they had to get it right straight off the bat. Needing to install patches is a regular event now. The amount of games I've installed only to be told I'd have to install a patch before playing is becoming all to regular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It's like listening Retro's podcast with all the MK bashing, FFS :rolleyes: I didn't know Dan and the other cardboard characters needed defending. :pac:

The OP was looked down upon for not valuing realism, graphics etc but isn't it hypocritical valuing game-play and dismissing everything else? Hit-boxes over set-pieces? YOU'RE ENJOYING IT WRONG STOP IT!

Seriously though, I really think rivalry extended from having one console and constantly justifying your purchase. I'd imagine a lot of people have more than 1 console but that hasn't slowed down the internet constantly creating rivalries. Even if there's isn't two or three options, it seems to be just pro- and anti- whatever's popular. Wherever you're seeing these aggravating comments, just stay off those sites!

As for our little off topic:
    Fighting games fans ( specially street fighter fans ) makes me always laugh. For me fighting games were only games to have fun with a company. Even these days I play fighting games only when having few drinks with friends. I play MK, tekken ( don't know even witch one, just on Xbox 360 and I always use some Asian fella in suit and hat :D ), MVC etc. Never really liked street fighter games, just nobody around played those and I did not liked its characters as they are as generics as ****.
    And then you meet a "professional" fighting gamer, who LOVES street fighter and all other fighting games are pure shiet and should not exist. Whatever dude, I don't care I just like that slut in some blue ninja suit with daggers. She has great boobs! She makes awesome sounds when I kick my buddies face in, while he tries to get a sip from his can of Budweiser ! :D

Oh hai, I would be a competitive Street Fighter player.

Would you like to check out my youtube channel, perhaps take a look at the Mortal Kombat videos, the Marvel ones, or perhaps the King of Fighters ones?

I don't really enjoy pixellated women though, sorry, liking real ones must be a hardcore gaming thing or something.

Wait
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's like listening Retro's podcast with all the MK bashing, FFS :rolleyes: I didn't know Dan and the other cardboard characters needed defending. :pac:

The OP was looked down upon for not valuing realism, graphics etc but isn't it hypocritical valuing game-play and dismissing everything else? Hit-boxes over set-pieces? YOU'RE ENJOYING IT WRONG STOP IT!

That was me. The original MK was a terrible game, but significant. Thus it was mentioned. Objectively, it's inferior to SF2, it's basically a glitchy mess with a load of palette swapped characters with only 1-2 moves to differentiate them. Its combo system is simple to the point of plain-ness. I still maintain what I said about it is 100% correct. Also, it was a fighting game podcast- was I NOT supposed to discuss MK?!

That said, MK 2 is a lot more fun, and MK9 is a legit contender among modern FGs.

Oh hai, I would be a competitive Street Fighter player.

Would you like to check out my youtube channel, perhaps take a look at the Mortal Kombat videos, the Marvel ones, or perhaps the King of Fighters ones?

I don't really enjoy pixellated women though, sorry, liking real ones must be a hardcore gaming thing or something.

Wait

That was me. The original MK was a terrible game, but significant. Thus it was mentioned. Objectively, it's inferior to SF2, it's basically a glitchy mess with a load of palette swapped characters with only 1-2 moves to differentiate them. Its combo system is simple to the point of plain-ness. I still maintain what I said about it is 100% correct. Also, it was a fighting game podcast- was I NOT supposed to discuss MK?!

That said, MK 2 is a lot more fun, and MK9 is a legit contender among modern FGs.

You make fun of me for messing around with friends in MK while having few drinks by calling me a hardcore gamer and you got a whole YouTube channel dedicated to street fighter? Okay, lol.
    That's what ment, fighting game fans take it waaaaaaaaaay to serious, and then they get offended if someone else just plays/likes/prefers fighting games for **** and giggles and like some "lighter" and less complex franchises.

For me MK is 100 times more fun as its silly and has some stupid moves, fatalities and other fun crap. It's just silly fun. I don't care that you can't pull off 5 million combo super mega awesome titsballs move in street fighter, some of us mortals like to play for fun? Shocking, I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

You make fun of me for messing around with friends in MK while having few drinks

Have you tried playing it sober?

I keed, I keed. Mostly.

You make fun of me for messing around with friends in MK while having few drinks by calling me a hardcore gamer and you got a whole YouTube channel dedicated to street fighter? Okay, lol.
    That's what ment, fighting game fans take it waaaaaaaaaay to serious, and then they get offended if someone else just plays/likes/prefers fighting games for **** and giggles and like some "lighter" and less complex franchises.

No, I was pointing out that I'm the type of person you've insulted, yet basically made a load of crap up about.

The only difference between a competitive gamer and a non competitive gamer is they have one or two games they play to a greater extreme. That's all. I don't get offended at anyone enjoying any game any way they like: However, you're attacking competitive gamers. You're ironically exhibiting the behaviour you accuse me of.

Also, I went to great lengths to point out it isn't just a street fighter channel. After which you moved your attack to all fighting game fans.

This is called shifting the goalposts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've completely lost track of what's going on here now. Also, I'd like to state the irony of this thread once again...

deathrider wrote: »
    I've completely lost track of what's going on here now. Also, I'd like to state the irony of this thread once again...

Lets put it this way:

I happen to know you're a competitive MK player. ShadowHearth seems to think we look down on people who play any game except the one we happen to play. I know (and you I assume) know this simply isn't the truth. As evinced by the fact we should hate each other. :)

All in all though, it seems to point back to what the OP was saying about gamers having a bad taste in the mouths when it comes to games they don't play. The "MK sucks" part of the thread, and now the "Competitive fighters take it too seriously" part; it all proves the OP's point really.

Disclaimer: I have no beef with Street Fighter or it's players by the way, because I'm a big fan of the series and always have been.

deathrider wrote: »
    All in all though, it seems to point back to what the OP was saying about gamers having a bad taste in the mouths when it comes to games they don't play. The "MK sucks" part of the thread, and now the "Competitive fighters take it too seriously" part; it all proves the OP's point really.

Disclaimer: I have no beef with Street Fighter or it's players by the way, because I'm a big fan of the series and always have been.

I've got no problem with MK, I think MK1 was a bad game: always have. I also think SFxT is a bad game, Street Fighter the movie, and Alpha was weak.

You can think a game is bad without it being some kind of bias!

not liking games is part of being a gamer. :)

And yes MK > Street fighter bananza alpha duper smash yoke 3000!

Now come at me bro! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

not liking games is part of being a gamer. :)

And yes MK > Street fighter bananza alpha duper smash yoke 3000!

Now come at me bro! :D

Killer Instinct FTW. :D

Or maybe Body Blows. :p

Not like I'm backing Primal Rage or Rise of the Robots.

"Gamesmastah!"

A killer instinct fan. How quaint :p

Primal rage is where its at.

I've got no problem with MK, I think MK1 was a bad game: always have. I also think SFxT is a bad game, Street Fighter the movie, and Alpha was weak.

You can think a game is bad without it being some kind of bias!

I'm not saying you in particular, Doom. Not aiming this at you at all. You've just been caught in the mix here. And most franchises have had their weak points *cough cough* Mortal Kombat Annihilation *cough cough*.

I simply mean that this thread proves the OP's point fairly blatantly. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, sure, but the gaming community as a whole often tends to spit a lot of venom at those who enjoy said dislikes. I'm guilty of it myself, and have often slagged off the Fifa community on the podcasts. I'll more than likely continue to do it too.

I reckon things seem a lot more vicious now than they were back in the day due to internet access and fake usernames. It makes it easy to unload a barrel of hate when you know you can get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

A killer instinct fan. How quaint :p

Hey! B. Orchid was hotter than Chun Li, at least in KI2. (Not to mention her finishing move involved flashing her opponent) :)

Nah I played MK, KI and SF2. Even played SF2 on Spectrum, believe it or not. Though only played it once or twice since you had to go through the many tapes looking for the level as well as each of the characters

Advertisement