Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV and Surround Sound system

• 21-11-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

hi there
    I just bought a new smart TV, Panasonic TX-L42ET5B.
    When I hook this up to my 10 year old Sony surround system (DAVS500), I have issues. (It's connected using a fibre optic cable.)

The issue is the surround sound is out of sync with the TV. Seems the TV is half a second faster. Very annoying. I've tried everything, well i thin I have.

Any ideas?
    thanks in advance,
    Chris

Sony system manual: http://www.sony.ie/support/en/product/DAV-S500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some systems take care of lip sync but only if the same machine is handling both audio and video. It looks to me like you're feeding the satellite or cable box straight into the TV via HDMI and you're then running the audio out of the TV and into the old Sony system.

Because the Sony system isn't handling the video signal, it can't do lip sync for you. While the Video2 panel on the Sony can take analog as well as digital audio, there doesn't appear to be any analog audio output ports on the Panasonic so there's no simple solution.

One thing you could try is to use the AV1 SCART output on the TV. For this you'd need to buy a SCART to phono kit, this has a SCART socket at one end and at least six phono plugs at the other for left/right/video in and out (picture below). You would then connect the 'audio left out' and 'audio right out' phono plugs into the Video2 analog ports on the Sony and disconnect the optical cable. This should remove the digital to analog conversion delay and it may fix the problem.

No guarantee it will work but that's the only solution I can think of, neither the Sony or the Panasonic have A/V sync menu options.

scart-phono.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭cb102

Many thanks for the detailed reply. I'll give it a go.
    Chris

Advertisement