Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Greystones Questions

Options
  • 21-11-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Folks, I've lived in Greystones for close to 40 years.

I remember quite a bit from my early days but I was wondering;

1: when was the mill road straightened out?
    2: going back much further when was the mill last working?

I remember playing in the fields below the mill where Burnaby lawns and the tennis club now are.

It was fantastic as a kid, so many water races, tunnels, lakes/swamps, streams etc. in the winter the water would freeze over and we'd walk out on the ice. Quite daft really but the ice never gave way. We'd collect frog spawn and I caught a stickleback once. I brought it home and kept it with the goldfish I had.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

FirstIn wrote: »
    Folks, I've lived in Greystones for close to 40 years.

I remember quite a bit from my early days but I was wondering;

1: when was the mill road straightened out?
    2: going back much further when was the mill last working?

I remember playing in the fields below the mill where Burnaby lawns and the tennis club now are.

It was fantastic as a kid, so many water races, tunnels, lakes/swamps, streams etc. in the winter the water would freeze over and we'd walk out on the ice. Quite daft really but the ice never gave way. We'd collect frog spawn and I caught a stickleback once. I brought it home and kept it with the goldfish I had.

I think the Mill Road was changed approximately 45 years ago.
    I cannot say when the Mill last worked though.

Advertisement