Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying for the impossible

• 21-11-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

My father is in his late forties, very few interests, going to GAA matches, he builds stuff, fixes stuff like cars but I'm not sure that he likes that. I have bought him DVD box sets but he just won't sit down and watch them, even though if they were on TV then I know he would, music DVDs, CDs etc. the only things he uses that I have bought him are the practical things, aftershave, razors and razor blades, socks, I would like to get him something that he could enjoy but I honestly am clueless. I was thinking of getting him a season GAA ticket but they are €85 and the most I can afford is €40.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Some tools? Go into his tool box and see which is on its last legs and get him a new set or something. He prob keeps forgetting to get new ones and it would be a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

What about tickets to some show? I don't know if your dad is into Irish country music or anything but I've bought my dad tickets to Big Tom and Daniel O'Donnell before and he was delighted with them! Not everyone's cup of tea I know but its his tastes!

Maybe a Comedy gig? Brendan Grace, Conal Gallan usually go down well with that age group!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭skippy15

Tickets always great solution for awkward people,

Failing that good tool box, picked nice ones up today for about €20 with lots of pieces included in McQuirks

Or clothes always good option, or GAA gersey. I recently ordered my nephew a half wexford half dublin GAA gersey for Christmas...not sure how loyalties lie but would make great present for divided GAA fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

I feel your pain....Me and my brothers and sisters i'd say at this stage have bought everything for my dad!! For the last 2 years i have just bought him the 20 euro National lottery ticket....There is also an advent calenders(from the national lottery) that you can get for 10euros with the chance of winning a couple of times....It could be nice as part of a present.....

If he likes making things(i know you said build) and is interested in beer, you could get him a home-brewing kit??

In the past we've also got my dad a cd player(as he only had a tape player) for his van....could be useful if he likes fixing old cars.....I know there dear enough but if you got him a voucher for a local car parts store or went in on it with another sibling....

Or a cheap mp3 player with all of his favourite music preloaded onto it?? There are some fairly cheap one's about the place now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 irishsam

Hi Skippy

Where is McQuirks ?? I have one of the guys in work for kris kindle and the tool set sounds ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭skippy15

Sorry for delay,
    There is a big one in Blanchardstown Centre in Westend retail park, it actually cost €15 and he loved it. Might be few other options closer to you but good set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

He sounds like my dad! I got mine a set of Pat Shortt tickets as he is doing a tour in the Spring. Would have got Mrs. Browns Boys only that's not on til next Dec! He'll have forgotten about it or lost the tickets by then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    He sounds like my dad! I got mine a set of Pat Shortt tickets as he is doing a tour in the Spring. Would have got Mrs. Browns Boys only that's not on til next Dec! He'll have forgotten about it or lost the tickets by then!

+1 my dad is the exact same as your dad and the OP's dad!:D They must be long lost brothers!!

I haven't a clue what to get him - probably a petrol voucher - AGAIN! He loves GAA too but doesn't go to any of the GAA matches except his own club/local matches and he doesn't read books or watch DVD's so what the hell do you get him!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If he's handy he might enjoy an introductory course to some new craft.

My girlfriend got a day's blacksmithing course for her dad which he loved. He got to make something of his own at the end of it as well. Even if it's not a practical long-term hobby at least he'll have a handmade piece of iron to show off for years.

I think this was the one: http://www.goldenmoments.ie/blacksmithing-course.html.

I recently got vouchers for a cookery class which was also great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Froggy123 wrote: »
    I feel your pain....Me and my brothers and sisters i'd say at this stage have bought everything for my dad!! For the last 2 years i have just bought him the 20 euro National lottery ticket....There is also an advent calenders(from the national lottery) that you can get for 10euros with the chance of winning a couple of times....It could be nice as part of a present.....

If he likes making things(i know you said build) and is interested in beer, you could get him a home-brewing kit??

In the past we've also got my dad a cd player(as he only had a tape player) for his van....could be useful if he likes fixing old cars.....I know there dear enough but if you got him a voucher for a local car parts store or went in on it with another sibling....

Or a cheap mp3 player with all of his favourite music preloaded onto it?? There are some fairly cheap one's about the place now!!

Hi can you buy the national lottery advent calendars from a normal shop or do I have to go somewhere special?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Any shop that sells the lotto should have them. They're usually kept away to the side because they don't fit in the scratch card display thingie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Froggy123

They're selling them in Tesco's...Just picked up mine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Chronic Button

Some great suggestions here. What about a voucher for a restaurant that you know he likes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

May I suggest some motivational music to help the OP along..with regards the "impossible"...;):)

Song is called "The Impossible Dream" (the quest) from the film "The Man of La Mancha",sung by Andy Williams and also by famous actor Peter O'Toole.

Advertisement