Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve in Cork City - what's on?

Options
  • 21-11-2012 11:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Really quick one - is there any events worth booking/looking into in Cork City or the surrounding area this year for a couple in their mid 20s??

Thaaaaanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

any preference for type of event and where do you plan on staying? there are a couple of (expensive) hotel style balls.. city center pubs are a bit of a joke on new yr's eve tbh.. better off finding a country pub and settling in early :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

corkcomp wrote: »
    any preference for type of event and where do you plan on staying? there are a couple of (expensive) hotel style balls.. city center pubs are a bit of a joke on new yr's eve tbh.. better off finding a country pub and settling in early :D

Or,better again..

Stay at home and watch Jools Holland...No waiting or paying out for cabs,,no ques for the toilets,providing you beat the kids to it.:D . No having to get dressed up,and no €4-€5.00 for a drink I can have at home for €1.50/€2.00.
    ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

corkcomp wrote: »

Staying in the Clarion Lapps Quay on the 29th and 30th, had originally planned to go down to The Trident in Kinsale for their New Years Ball but it's OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Like insultingly so. May stay the extra night in cork city!

As for preferences, not really - open to all suggestions. Even "unusual" ones.

New Years in Dublin is always a disappointment so not looking for anything ground breaking, just getting away from home and work for a few days over xmas :)
    MrFrisp wrote: »
    Or,better again..

Stay at home and watch Jools Holland...No waiting or paying out for cabs,,no ques for the toilets,providing you beat the kids to it.:D . No having to get dressed up,and no €4-€5.00 for a drink I can have at home for €1.50/€2.00.
    ;)

Yah, fair point really. Getting away for a block of days in a row is exceptionally unusual for me because I'm busy running my own biz, so legging it away from Dublin at the first opportunity is something I'll always take!

That's the main reason behind heading down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Pub crawl! There's not much excitement around cork for New Years anymore as far as I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hanley wrote: »
    Staying in the Clarion Lapps Quay on the 29th and 30th, had originally planned to go down to The Trident in Kinsale for their New Years Ball but it's OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. Like insultingly so. May stay the extra night in cork city!

Price?

I find New Year's is always a disappointment. Last year, myself and my better half stayed in, ate a fabulous meal, drank loads of wine, watched Jools Holland and stayed up half the night enjoying each others company. It was the best NYE I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Faith wrote: »
    Price?

I find New Year's is always a disappointment. Last year, myself and my better half stayed in, ate a fabulous meal, drank loads of wine, watched Jools Holland and stayed up half the night enjoying each others company. It was the best NYE I've ever had.

Exactly My point above.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

you could try the Freakscene masquerade ball,

other than that pick your bar settle in and stay there for the night, i wouldn't try moving about after 9 or 10pm...

Hanley wrote: »

As for preferences, not really - open to all suggestions. Even "unusual" ones.

New Years in Dublin is always a disappointment so not looking for anything ground breaking, just getting away from home and work for a few days over xmas :)

Yah, fair point really. Getting away for a block of days in a row is exceptionally unusual for me because I'm busy running my own biz, so legging it away from Dublin at the first opportunity is something I'll always take!

That's the main reason behind heading down!

well, if you're already spending two nights in the Clarion that's more than enough time to see some of the Cork Xmas nightlife.. checkout electric on south mall and Bierhalle ( http://www.thebierhallecork.com/ ) is worth a visit too! some of the City hotel balls would make the Trident prices look good:P this looks alright thou? http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Years-Eve-2012/456430041073758

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I NEVER go out on NYE any more. Not in London, and certainly not here. We're too old to be paying silly money to get into pub dives that normally have one man and his dog, fighting to get a taxi after 12 and paying at least double, and paying over the odds for watered down drinks!

Now - I get some nice finger food from M & S (might be Aldi this year due to budget constraints!!), cook a nice dinner with wine, and me & hubby settle down to Jools. At midnight, we text and call family & friends. At least it ain't too far to stagger if we get a bit elephants...:D

OP - If you're staying at the Clarion, I bet they have a special NYE menu. Why don't you have dinner there and a few drinks? They'll probably have a bit of entertainment there too.

everyone saying to stay in on new years eve might have a point generally speaking but as the OP will be away from home, at the other end of the country it's not really relevant:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Mark C

been some good alternative nye gigs in Cork in recent years. everything thats been said above is true to every town, Il post any I hear of

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Well brax from home and away will be in the woolshed and it's only.......wait for it........18 euro to get in :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

New Years Eve is always shyte for a night out. Packed pubs and nightclubs, and everybody expected to be in a "happy" mood. There's nowhere in Cork I'd recommend for it. Get a few drinks in and stay in your hotel room.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,025 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Last year The Marlboro Bar did a limited number ticketed event. Entry got you in, some nibbles and free drink (presumably restricted choice) for the night.
    Think it was around €50.

Don't know if they're doing it again or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Last year The Marlboro Bar did a limited number ticketed event. Entry got you in, some nibbles and free drink (presumably restricted choice) for the night.
    Think it was around €50.

Don't know if they're doing it again or not.

That place seems to be doing a fair amount of interesting things. I've never been in there at night, but I've gone in for after work drinks a few times and it's a nice place. Also good beer selection for a not-craft-beer bar.

Advertisement