Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Heating not turning on

• 22-11-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I get a red light up on my lamborghini xilo t gas boiler and the pressure is down. When I restore pressure like my gas man showed me and then turn it on, the pressure shoots right up and the system shuts off. I called my gas man and he told me to pick up an expansion vessel for it. He said it would be almost impossible to replace the one that's built into the boiler without taking the whole unit off the wall. Instead, he would cut one into a pipe down in the hotpress. I presume I'm going to the hardware tomorrow to get something like this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

This sounds like the pressure vessel inside the boiler has a leaking or failed diaphragm. That would create exactly the symptoms you state, and the vessel you pictured is the answer. However, if it is installed in a hot press, remember that you will need a mains water supply nearby to recharge it occasionally. It isn't just a case of sticking it into an existing pipe!

I get a red light up on my lamborghini xilo t gas boiler and the pressure is down. When I restore pressure like my gas man showed me and then turn it on, the pressure shoots right up and the system shuts off. I called my gas man and he told me to pick up an expansion vessel for it. He said it would be almost impossible to replace the one that's built into the boiler without taking the whole unit off the wall. Instead, he would cut one into a pipe down in the hotpress. I presume I'm going to the hardware tomorrow to get something like this

The time taken should indicate if its the vessel or not, usually if its a vessel you can see the needle rise as the system gets hotter, if its a lack of movement and your pumps gone or there's a blockage of some sort then it will boil pretty much Instantly generating s lot of noise then blowing off, Gary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭boiler break downs

gary71 wrote: »

The time taken should indicate if its the vessel or not, usually if its a vessel you can see the needle rise as the system gets hotter, if its a lack of movement and your pumps gone or there's a blockage of some sort then it will boil pretty much Instantly generating s lot of noise then blowing off, Gary.
    did the guy call out and see it.it may not be burst but may just need to have more pressure put in bladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

If the vessel is burst or needs recharging the system pressure will rise over a period of time not fairly instant.I would agree with Gary bad or no circulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

He didn't call out today. There was a more pressing job out the road. So tomorrow at lunchtime (I think) he's due out. It's quite an instant rise in the pressure. I've only tried it a couple of times after the system had been working so maybe it was going to rise fast anyway? I haven't tried the heating end of it - just the hot water.

OK. Just tried it on heating there now. It turned on, and took eight seconds for the pressure dial to reach it's max before the unit shut off.

• Advertisement

He didn't call out today. There was a more pressing job out the road. So tomorrow at lunchtime (I think) he's due out. It's quite an instant rise in the pressure. I've only tried it a couple of times after the system had been working so maybe it was going to rise fast anyway? I haven't tried the heating end of it - just the hot water.

OK. Just tried it on heating there now. It turned on, and took eight seconds for the pressure dial to reach it's max before the unit shut off.
    As we said blocked heat exchanger or dodgy circulating pump def not expansion vessel

The heat vessel has just been replaced, same problem. Is there anywhere we could get a new pump? for this boiler? I think the plumber wants to go for a new boiler (€200 + )

The heat vessel has just been replaced, same problem. Is there anywhere we could get a new pump? for this boiler? I think the plumber wants to go for a new boiler (€200 + )
    Get a second opinion this man doesn't seem to know.A couple of guys said it wasn't the vessel just be sure on what you do next what does your man say? Because if you fit a pump next and it's still not right then a heat exchanger your goin to be out a lot of money

We have heating! He started looking at the pump and checked it with a meter, then removed one of the capacitors and replaced it with a temporary one and the system started up. He said that the pressure vessel had failed as a result of the motor not working. He replaced the capacitor with one taken from another motor and I've just started the system now....

Advertisement