Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IVF

Options
  • 22-11-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a genetic condition (which one I do not want to disclose). I want more than anything to have biological children of my own, but there is a 50:50 chance of passing on my genetic condition. I have a very mild form of it, but it can manifest itself in a very bad way in my offspring, therefore I would prefer to do some sort of genetic monitoring beforehand.

I do not want to use donor sperm, I want to use my own.

Is it possible to fertilise one of my wife's / girlfriend's eggs via I.V.F. and see if it has the genetic condition, then terminate the foetus. If not, continue with the pregnancy.
    I am very distraught with this, I am in a relationship where I love my girlfriend to bits, and she is aware of my genetic condition and my issue with having children of my own. I am relatively young and unmarried, 21 to be exact, and I am considering saving some of my sperm in a bank or wherever it is saved ... << Is this possible ?? And when I want children, use I.V.F..

Is I.V.F. possible in this scenario? Can they monitor for the genetic condition in the sperm before the sperm is inserted in the egg? If not, can they monitor a foetus (in it's very early stages) for my condition?

many thanks for your input everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you been for genetic counselling yet?

None of us can tell you if your specific condition can be screened for, as some can, and some cannot. A genetic counsellor will have much better information on your options.

You will need a referral from your GP, and there is a pretty long waiting list. You can go private as well, to cut the waiting time.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm pretty hazy on the fine details but a couple I know are going to a clinic abroad to conceive because of the high risk of passing on a severe genetic problem - my understanding is that this service is not offered in Ireland hence them going abroad, but I stand to be corrected on that.

I would agree that your best strategy is firstly Genetic counselling to discover your options, and find out what may be involved for you. That way, you are prepared - if you cant get treatment in this country there may be another that have different regulations in place.

It really depends on the condition as to whether the embryo can be tested for it prior to implantation. Similarly, it also depends on the condition whether it can be monitored for during early pregnancy or not. And again, if in Ireland, we do not have termination available here. Its a trip to the UK in that case. Assuming of course that your partner wants to terminate.

Incidentally, you would not be strictly speaking, getting IVF for your case. It would likely be ISCI. (IVF is where sperm and eggs are mixed and fertilised embryos are implanted. ISCI is where a single sperm is injected into an egg and fertilised that way.)

Firstly, start with genetic counselling. They will tell you whether freezing your sperm is an option or not - take it from there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Beacon Fertility is licensed for genetic screening so I would talk to them. I don't know it your condition is on the list but it's worth a chat.

Advertisement