Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much training A4-A3 November 2012

Options
  • 22-11-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hello

I am kinda wondering what kind of training are fellow bordsies are doing

ill start by saying im A4 and am cycling 3 times a week

40-50km twice a week and 100km at the weekend

turbo once a week and il would run 6km /do flexability once a week if the weather is bad/ instead of cycling

Im hoping to start doing 1h gym work three times a week.

keep spinning

Laz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

From my limited experience, I would say that's more than enough to be competitive at A4.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

colm_gti wrote: »
    From my limited experience, I would say that's more than enough to be competitive at A4.
    At this time of year, absolutely, but it's how you build on it in the New Year that will determine how competitive a rider will be (except for buffalo who can be competitive with virtually no winter training!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Beasty wrote: »
    At this time of year, absolutely, but it's how you build on it in the New Year that will determine how competitive a rider will be (except for buffalo who can be competitive with virtually no winter training!)

<3

I'm doing training this winter for a comparative study, it'll be hilarious* if I do worse than last season. :p

Laz, that sounds like plenty.

*it won't be hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,757 ✭✭✭C3PO

colm_gti wrote: »

I train at least that much and I'm not competitive ..... what am I doing wrong?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

OP - yea that sounds like a decent amount. I find the gym helps me, doesn't work for everyone though. But I reckon there's no harm in some strength training and core work. Use to the hour to do some bodyweight exercises, plank, and plenty of stretching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hello

I am kinda wondering what kind of training are fellow bordsies are doing

ill start by saying im A4 and am cycling 3 times a week

40-50km twice a week and 100km at the weekend

turbo once a week and il would run 6km /do flexability once a week if the weather is bad/ instead of cycling

Im hoping to start doing 1h gym work three times a week.

keep spinning

Laz

very topical subject :

Reference the winter world championships entry here of Nov 10.

It may answer ur questions.

http://www.thequenchdiaries.blogspot.ie/

also

http://www.waterfordracingclub.com/?p=2163

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Obviously sprinting for imaginary finishes is a bit fecking silly this time of year, but in my opinion if you want to succeed then you have to put the work in. The second article puts it best:
    Pick the date you want to have your best form and work back from that, hire a coach or talk to the more experienced riders in your group on a Sunday instead of tearing the legs off them. Enjoy your cycling at this time of year don’t fall into the trap of becoming the local Winter World Champion
    For a lot of racers, the first peak will be Easter weekend - last weekend in March. The likes of Joe Friel would have a 5 month buildup - Base, Build, Peak, and Race. So during this time of year - following a training plan with a goal in mind is not the same thing as being a winter world champion. Just wanted to make that distinction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

michael196 wrote: »
    very topical subject :

Reference the winter world championships entry here of Nov 10.

It may answer ur questions.

http://www.thequenchdiaries.blogspot.ie/

also

http://www.waterfordracingclub.com/?p=2163

Yet another guy there complaining that A4 racing isn't hard enough.
    I can't figure out why they don't make it hard enough if they think its too easy?
    All these guys who want to upgrade to Cat 3 for harder racing - why weren't they trying to blow A4 races apart - i.e. producing 'harder racing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yet another guy there complaining that A4 racing isn't hard enough

Not sure if serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Hi OP. Sounds like you are doing about 8 hours per week on the bike? Everyone is different and it depends on what sort of fitness one is at, but that apppears to be in and around the 'recommended' level. As beasty says above the period between New Year and Race Season migth prove to be crucial too. As a fellow A4 comeptitor i would hate to see lads lose motivation in January and February!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

I am actually training flat out of the christmas hamper race

Seriously tho I am not always doing that amount of training, if I do all of that I would be nearer to WW champ. I try to most of that and all of the cycling is high cadence stuff. I dont always manage it but I need to do that much, because Ill be a3 in jig time ive 6 points already.........

thanks for the heads up bty:)

Advertisement