Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tight-fisted parents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

You know I've volunteered with a Christmas donation drive before (outside of Ireland). We'd ask women who were struggling to buy Christmas gifts for her kids to call in, give us the gender/ages of her children. We'd then get sponsors and allow them to sponsor a woman and her children, pass on all the ages, etc.

One year, we had a woman call in and we were asking her questions about what her kids would like so we could pass suggestions onto her sponsor.

Dvds were out because the kids had no tv or dvd player. No video games because they obviously didn't have any game consoles. No cds because they didn't have a stereo.

Finally, the mother did speak up, and said, there was something her daughters really wanted, but she knew it was pretty expensive.

It was a hanging mirror for the back of their bedroom door. About 12 euros.

Broke our hearts.

Amazing the level of poverty some kids live in.

Not about tight-fisted parents. Just an eye-opener.

You obviously have a good heart OP. I wouldn't begrudge my daughter a second DVD either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

Damn right they let the child pick one dvd to start their collection, wasn't it better than none?
    Presumably they worked for the money to buy those other box sets, regardless if they were xmas presents or not.

My OH's younger brother is 12+ years younger than his next sibling and he's a spoilt little brat. Latest games console, bike etc and not a thanks would you hear out of him.

Kids need discipline and to be taught that presents must be earned not given. Nobody owes you a living and the earlier that lessons learned, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My father used to give me £2.00 pocket money every week which I would buy a seven inch single with. It would it have two songs which I would play non stop for hours. I think I enjoyed this more than I would have enjoyed getting whatever the hell I wanted. Children that get too much just get bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im surprised no one thought the title said fisted tight parents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    I hate when i'm in a store and there's either a couple or one parent with their child, the greed on display is incredible. This one day i was in HMV, these two people were in buying a whole load of television box sets for themselves, the guy himself had 3 box sets between both arms and the woman had another 2. This little girl with them stands there looking through kids' DVDs and finds 2 that she likes, both €5 each and she goes to the man "Daddy, i can't pick, i have €5, which one daddy?" and he actually stands there and says to her "Well, how about this one (Donald Duck)? This looks like a great one to start off your DVD collection, you have €5 in your pocket, i think you'd like this!". That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they couldn't spring to another €5 for a second DVD for their child? And not only that, but her first DVD??? Disgusting. And that's just one example i've seen. I can understand if her parents are poor, but these obviously weren't. Why are people like that? They've a stack of cash in their pocket, treat themselves senseless, and do practically nothing for their kids who are standing right there with them? Don't parents know that one day these kids will be the ones with the money and the decision-making? Teaching kids to be mean is not good for them and it will only backfire.

OP, how do you know a lot of that stuff they were buying wasn't for the children themselves??
    That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they

You sound a bit childish yourself, should just mind your own business OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Blocked.

Flattered. Deeply flattered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That dad sounds like a great father to me- the little one was given the freedom to have her own money and pick her own DVD herself; for me that would have been a treat enough (being treated like a grown up!).
    He's a much better example of parenting than the morons who let their little darlings have a full on melt down in every shop when they can't get everything they want. I worked in retail and saw this on a daily basis. Or kids whose parents let them trash the place and smile benignly throughout...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

OP, for all you know they could have just spent an absolute fortune on the kid in another shop and dropped the bags back to the car..

You shouldn't make such snap judgments on other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I hate when i'm in a store and there's either a couple or one parent with their child, the greed on display is incredible. This one day i was in HMV, these two people were in buying a whole load of television box sets for themselves, the guy himself had 3 box sets between both arms and the woman had another 2. This little girl with them stands there looking through kids' DVDs and finds 2 that she likes, both €5 each and she goes to the man "Daddy, i can't pick, i have €5, which one daddy?" and he actually stands there and says to her "Well, how about this one (Donald Duck)? This looks like a great one to start off your DVD collection, you have €5 in your pocket, i think you'd like this!". That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they couldn't spring to another €5 for a second DVD for their child? And not only that, but her first DVD??? Disgusting. And that's just one example i've seen. I can understand if her parents are poor, but these obviously weren't. Why are people like that? They've a stack of cash in their pocket, treat themselves senseless, and do practically nothing for their kids who are standing right there with them? Don't parents know that one day these kids will be the ones with the money and the decision-making? Teaching kids to be mean is not good for them and it will only backfire.

simple, adults gets more pocket money than kids
    kids have to be taught to live within their means.
    the kid got a fiver pocket money - she gets a DVD for a fiver.

nobody wants spoilt brats for kids who demand everything.

fair play to the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

DVD's are so 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Oh, i totally agree with that, i don't think kids should be spoiled. But seeing people drag a kid around while they buy half a store and yet buy a girl her first DVD, that just angers me. A really good friend of mine has 2 little boys, one is about 2 or 3 years old and he's got more DVDs than i do.

well, a 2 or 3 year old should not be stuck in front of a TV watching a ton of DVD's in my opinion. A bit of fresh air would do them the world of good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I buy kids VHS tapes and tell them it's the future :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Some people really do get offended over nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Well, if i'd a child, i wouldn't have them with me in HMV while i lash out hundreds on whoever will get those sets while my little girl struggles to choose between two cheapo Disney DVDs for a fiver each. But maybe that's just me. I've seen parents bring their children into stores to buy something for themselves and slap their kid across the face because he asked for
    a €1 Power Ranger-type cheap toy.

I doubt the child cared what her parents were buying.
    Its teaching kids about money. My younger sister for example gets 5euro a week pocket money.my dad isn't gonna just give her an extra 5er for the dvd,she will have to wait till next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Its teaching kids about money. My younger sister for example gets 5euro a week pocket money.my dad isn't gonna just give her an extra 5er for the dvd,she will have to wait till next week

And that's the way it should be! That's the way it was back in my day. If you wanted something you saved for it. Thought me the value of money. Plus you don't end up with spoilt kids!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

seb65 wrote: »
    Dvds were out because the kids had no tv or dvd player. No video games because they obviously didn't have any game consoles. No cds because they didn't have a stereo.

Finally, the mother did speak up, and said, there was something her daughters really wanted, but she knew it was pretty expensive.

It was a hanging mirror for the back of their bedroom door. About 12 euros.

Broke our hearts.

Amazing the level of poverty some kids live in.
    You obviously have a good heart OP. I wouldn't begrudge my daughter a second DVD either.
    A good heart? Petty and judgmental and presumptuous more like. That story is indeed heartbreaking but not remotely comparable to the subject of this thread. I think it's rather obnoxious of the OP to think so badly of two parents without knowing anything about them - I'd even suspect he's on a wind-up because it's such a weird thing to get enraged about. He says he's seen "parents" get loads of stuff for themselves (he assumes) and slap their kid for asking for a cheap toy - I'd happily bet he's seen that once. And the issue there is the assault, not the refusal to buy the toy.
    A precedent should not be set that a kid can get every toy they ask for whenever they want, just because they ask for it. And that simply adds to the magic and novelty of christmas and birthdays.

Anyway, this little girl's parents have no doubt bought her a load of stuff from Santa - what is the issue here really? Small kids get a kick out of paying for stuff with their own money too - makes them feel grown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Well, if i'd a child, .......
    Well that's where I lost interest in the points you made in the original post

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

Madam_X wrote: »
    A good heart? Petty and judgmental and presumptuous more like. That story is indeed heartbreaking but not remotely comparable to the subject of this thread. I think it's rather obnoxious of the OP to think so badly of two parents without knowing anything about them - I'd even suspect he's on a wind-up because it's such a weird thing to get enraged about. He says he's seen "parents" get loads of stuff for themselves (he assumes) and slap their kid for asking for a cheap toy - I'd happily bet he's seen that once. And the issue there is the assault, not the refusal to buy the toy.
    A precedent should not be set that a kid can get every toy they ask for whenever they want, just because they ask for it. And that simply adds to the magic and novelty of christmas and birthdays.

Anyway, this little girl's parents have no doubt bought her a load of stuff from Santa - what is the issue here really? Small kids get a kick out of paying for stuff with their own money too - makes them feel grown up.

Aren't you presuming yourself when you say the parents have probably bought loads of stuff from santa?

Anyways, I was merely pointing out that his soft heart went out to a little child who he thinks didn't have a single children's dvd. My heart would go out to her as well because it's just a second dvd, it's not a pony for chrissakes. I wasn't making a judgment call on the parents at all. I was just saying the OP perceived a situation and based on his perception, he obviously has a good heart to feel badly for the little girl. I wasn't speaking to whether his perception was correct.

Calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Really think that you need to mature a little bit before posting stupid observations and stories. You make a lot of assumptions and criticise the patents for teaching their child s valuables life lesson.

How do you know the box sets were for them, perhaps they were buying gifts. And please tell me what is wrong with parents teaching their child that you can't get everything you want. There's far too many parents who are spoiling their kids rotten and turning them into spoilt little monsters who think they can have whatever they want whenever they want.

Hmmm, what kind of Christmas Days did you have as a kid? And don't call other people's 'observations' stupid just because you don't agree with them, that's one of the many reasons your parents should have bought you a random gift here and there. Learn to show a little love and/ or respect once in a while.

Madam_X wrote: »

Oh yes, 'cause we all know that little girl went out to her office job and earned €5 for a week's work. This is the problem i have with these kind of people. My mother has always loved me and has always spoiled me as much as she could, and as a 28 year old man, she still spoils me rotten. Wanna know why? Because she loves me! My mother wouldn't have had me standing in a store trying to decide between 2 cheap toys or whatever as a kid, she'd have simply said "Paulie, you can have them both because you've been so well behaved with me in town today and helped me carry my shopping.". No decent parent would drag their kid into a place like HMV, spend an absolute fortune on themselves or whoever and then have the spiteful heart to make their child pick between 2 crappy €5 movies when they obviously have the money to get her both. And not only a DVD, but her first too. To me, that's a bad parent. Anyone who doesn't agree and would do the same thing with their kid will be viewed the same way by me. You don't wanna treat your kids? Either don't have them or don't bring them everywhere with you while you treat yourself!

• Advertisement

True. But the girl gets to her parent's age, she'll care then and do the same with her own child. Pocket money is all well and good, but parents don't bring the kid into a shop, flash a fortune in their face and say "Na na, you ain't gettin' any of THIS! This is mmmmmmmiiiiiiiinnnnneeeeeeeeeee!" (Example, before anyone gets desperate enough to talk to me that they quote that!).

seb65 wrote: »
    Aren't you presuming yourself when you say the parents have probably bought loads of stuff from santa?

Anyways, I was merely pointing out that his soft heart went out to a little child who he thinks didn't have a single children's dvd. My heart would go out to her as well because it's just a second dvd, it's not a pony for chrissakes. I wasn't making a judgment call on the parents at all. I was just saying the OP perceived a situation and based on his perception, he obviously has a good heart to feel badly for the little girl. I wasn't speaking to whether his perception was correct.

Calm down.

Thank you :)

I hate parents that don't treat their kids.
    If I have kids I will treat them right. Make their childhood fun and happy!!!!!! There is a difference between spoling a child and treating them right.

God bless my mother. She is sadly no longer with us :(
    Just a working class family growing up in the 80s but me and my brothers got the best of toys and games consoles .... atari 2600, commadore 64, nes, snes, mega drive + a ton of games to boot.... A-team toys, M.A.S.K. toys, ghostbuster toys, He-Man toys (I could go on)

Really wish I could just say "thanks for being a great mother" :(

Your mother did all that for you, and look how you turned out. Pleasant, respectful, good manners and intelligent. Hence my original point, parents should do what they can, there's time enough for lessons, but as a kid, make them feel like they're the most important person in the world. By all means don't buy them a mansion in Beverly Hills, but on the odd time, treat them to a game or a toy, or a cheapo DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Oh yes, 'cause we all know that little girl went out to her office job and earned €5 for a week's work. This is the problem i have with these kind of people. My mother has always loved me and has always spoiled me as much as she could, and as a 28 year old man, she still spoils me rotten. Wanna know why? Because she loves me! My mother wouldn't have had me standing in a store trying to decide between 2 cheap toys or whatever as a kid, she'd have simply said "Paulie, you can have them both because you've been so well behaved with me in town today and helped me carry my shopping.". No decent parent would drag their kid into a place like HMV, spend an absolute fortune on themselves or whoever and then have the spiteful heart to make their child pick between 2 crappy €5 movies when they obviously have the money to get her both. And not only a DVD, but her first too. To me, that's a bad parent. Anyone who doesn't agree and would do the same thing with their kid will be viewed the same way by me. You don't wanna treat your kids? Either don't have them or don't bring them everywhere with you while you treat yourself!

Good parenting does not involve spoiling a child [your term not mine], no parent should be spoiling rotten their adult child either. Of course parents should help where needed, but adults should be standing on their own two feet, unless there is a problem that the parents are helping to address, even then you should ask why the adult is not addressing this themselves.

Spoiling a child has nothing to do with love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I remember being made to pick my favourite [insert item] as a child when I couldn't decide which I wanted.

My parents dont love me?! Oh no, I spent the past 29 years believing they do....

Hmmm, what kind of Christmas Days did you have as a kid? And don't call other people's 'observations' stupid just because you don't agree with them, that's one of the many reasons your parents should have bought you a random gift here and there. Learn to show a little love and/ or respect once in a while.

I had great Christmas mornings, always a big pile of presents under the tree for me. And I can call your observations stupid all I want. They are amongst the most retarded I have heard in a long time. You half hear a conversation and jump to ridiculous conclusions. I also got a lot of gifts from my parents and still do. Hell I'm 26 and my parents will often give me a little something as they know that money is tight for me ATM. They do it because they love me but unlike you they don't think buying gifts is how you show love.

I bet you're the type of kid who either got everything he wanted as a child or were the kid who would scream and cry when his patents said know. You seem to think that patents show love through material things which means that you must have a really sad up bringing.

If you knew anything about kids you would know that every shop they go into they want something from and any parent who would indulge their every whim is a bad parent. Children need to learn the concept of appreciating what they get aswell as the value of things. Responsible parenting is what the parents in your op did and you the audacity to come onto a public forum board and question them while implying that they are bad parents. You remind me a lot often girlfriends cousin. He's 22 and has no concept of money, he was spoilt rotten as a child and his patents continue to do so. He has never worked and when he is out with people expects others to pay his way. He invited himself to the cinema with me and my gf one night and expected me to pay for his ticket. When I refused he asked my gf to get it, when she refused he begrudgingly bought his own. Inside the theater my gf went out and got me a beer, his first question when she gave it to me was "where's mine?" That's the result of bad parenting and dapoiling kids which you seem to think is the way all kids should be raised.

Never bring kids shopping. They only ask for stuff. Did she not throw a tantrum?

Oddily enough, i wondered why she didn't, i thought she might. She didn't even ask for the second DVD, she just held them both and couldn't decide. Very sad to watch. It'd be different if they cost a lot, but a tenner for 'em both didn't seem like much to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Oddily enough, i wondered why she didn't, i thought she might. She didn't even ask for the second DVD, she just held them both and couldn't decide. Very sad to watch. It'd be different if they cost a lot, but a tenner for 'em both didn't seem like much to me.

Sad to watch a child not having a tantrum because she doesn't get her own way?? Er...what? I would consider that a refreshing change from the annoying little flatulents we see so much of days.

OP would you not have bought it for her if you felt that strongly about it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I He invited himself to the cinema with me and my gf one night and expected me to pay for his ticket. When I refused he asked my gf to get it, when she refused he begrudgingly bought his own. Inside the theater my gf went out and got me a beer, his first question when she gave it to me was "where's mine?" That's the result of bad parenting and dapoiling kids which you seem to think is the way all kids should be raised.

Holy. Shít. That's freakin unbelievable. If I was his mother I'd be beyond mortified.

I had great Christmas mornings, always a big pile of presents under the tree for me. And I can call your observations stupid all I want. They are ongst the most retarded I have heard in a long time. You half hear a conversation and jump to ridiculous conclusions. I also got a lot of gifts from my parents and still do. Hell I'm 26 and my parents will often give me a little something as they know that money is tight for me ATM. They do it because they love me but unlike you they don't think buying gifts is how you show love.

I bet you're the type of kid who either got everything he wanted as a child or were the kid who would scream and cry when his patents said know. You seem to think that patents show love through material things which means that you must have a really sad up bringing.

If you knew anything about kids you would know that every shop they go into they want something from and any parent who would indulge their every whim is a bad parent. Children need to learn the concept of appreciating what they get aswell as the value of things. Responsible parenting is what the parents in your op did and you the audacity to come onto a public forum board and question them while implying that they are bad parents. You remind me a lot often girlfriends cousin. He's 22 and has no concept of money, he was spoilt rotten as a child and his patents continue to do so. He has never worked and when he is out with people expects others to pay his way. He invited himself to the cinema with me and my gf one night and expected me to pay for his ticket. When I refused he asked my gf to get it, when she refused he begrudgingly bought his own. Inside the theatre my gf went out and got me a beer, his first question when she gave it to me was "where's mine?" That's the result of bad parenting and dpiiling kids which you seem to think is the way all kids should be raised.

So now you're using the word "Retarded"? Aren't you just lovely? I'm actually surprised i haven't blocked you already. And now you're admitting to living on hand outs from your parents? Wow, your opinion is so valuable in this conversation. A 26 year old man who believe parentss shouldn't buy their kids a second (All-time) DVD as it'll spoil them, but yet crawls to his own folks for money. They sure thought you the value of money and how to stand on your own feet, didn't they? Blocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on boards.

True. But the girl gets to her parent's age, she'll care then and do the same with her own child. Pocket money is all well and good, but parents don't bring the kid into a shop, flash a fortune in their face and say "Na na, you ain't gettin' any of THIS! This is mmmmmmmiiiiiiiinnnnneeeeeeeeeee!" (Example, before anyone gets desperate enough to talk to me that they quote that!).

I can't even...

I suspect that is because she is being raised properly. What is truly sad is that you don't seem to be trolling... It really seems like you believe love is expressed through material things. That makes me think that you don't know what love is at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I stormed off

Fair play OP, you did the right thing. That'll show them. In other news, who stole your paragraphs?

Much of your psyche is explaned here, OP. You must be very young if your mother is 28. Also, when did she have the operation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Oh, i totally agree with that, i don't think kids should be spoiled. But seeing people drag a kid around while they buy half a store and yet buy a girl her first DVD, that just angers me. A really good friend of mine has 2 little boys, one is about 2 or 3 years old and he's got more DVDs than i do.

It's probably the first DVD that SHE bought. I remember the first single I bought (Natalie Imbruglia - Torn, I was about 8 or 9) with my own money and I was far more delighted by it than if it had been bought for me. It wasn't the first CD or tape I owned, I had loads, but I do remember it as the first I bought.

Aside from that, kids see their parents buying loads of stuff ALL THE TIME. Any time they're in the supermarket their parents put loads into the trolley but they might ask for 1 or 2 things and not get it. Would you expect parents to go around the supermarket getting everything the child asks for? No, not at all. So the kids are used to seeing their parents get lots and if they're lucky they get 1 thing.

Actually it sounds like they were approaching it well. Say the box sets are for them. They're going out to buy dvds to add to their collection with their own money, they're allowing the daughter to join in by starting her own collection, bought with her own money. She feels grown up and part of the gang.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Sad to watch a child not having a tantrum because she doesn't get her own way?? Er...what? I would consider that a refreshing change from the annoying little flatulents we see so much of days.

OP would you not have bought it for her if you felt that strongly about it? :D

Sad to watch a child with a lesson so drilled into her that she knew not to ask for the second DVD. I dread to think how she came to learn not to ask.

Almost was tempted if i'm being honest. There they are standing right next to me at the shelf and my blood was boiling. I'm very impulsive and something like that gets my goat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Between this and your "Tom Cruise has a perfect filmography" thread I can't really take you seriously

mitosis wrote: »
    Much of your psyche is explaned here, OP. You must be very young if your mother is 28. Also, when did she have the operation?

At this stage, i can only shake my head in disbelief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

"Oddily enough"???? What would your view have been if the child had gone mental because she did not get the DVD?

Some you would expect?
    Understandable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

OP where do you get the idea that not having a giant DVD collection is tantamount to meanness? As for your friend, it seems like she is using the television to babysit her kids. My nephew is nearly four and he doesn't have a single DVD. He plays outside and with his many other toys. He likes painting and colouring and other creative activities.

I myself never got presents off my parents unless it was Christmas, my birthday or a special occasion. My parents love me very much and would die for me in a heartbeat but didn't give in to my every whim and rightly so - I appreciate the value of a euro.

• Advertisement

Holy. Shít. That's freakin unbelievable. If I was his mother I'd be beyond mortified.

That's just one example of how he is, he was here for a two weeks when my gf's brother was getting married and unfortunately decided he wanted to spend most of it with me and my gf. Really was disgusted by his behaviour, he came out drinking with me and friends and as we drink rounds he asked to join. Now I only do rounds when with good friends I can trust and in our years if drinking no one has ever tried to get out of a round. When it came his round he disappeared to the bar and cane back with a single pint, I asked where ours was and he said "I didn't think you wanted any more." Left him sitting there alone as we all headed off to another bar.

I wouldn't mind so much had he been a kid but at the time he was 20 and his behaviour just disgusted me. I'd say that between me and my gf we ended up spending 80 euro on him over the week and in all that time the only thing he got wait her of us was a bus ticket that cost him 1.60 apiece and from the way he went on about it you would swear it broke the bank. I mean he brought it up ever chance he got and even boasted about it to his mother. He had absolutely no shame but the again neither does his mother, I told her what her don was like and she did not like it one bit. Her little angel was perfect and she really did seem to think I owed it to him to pay his way. I refuse to have anything to do with him , he's coming over to Ireland for a holiday soon and I'd sooner blow my brains out than spend 5 minutes in his company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

That was possibly one of the worst OPs i have ever read, clearly by someone who was spoiled as a child and has never had children. And with that attitude, i pity the children if he ever does have them.

The parents in the shop sound like they are raising their daughter very well indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This is fascinating - I always wondered what went on insides the heads of parents who buy their child anything they ask for. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sad to watch a child with a lesson so drilled into her that she knew not to ask for the second DVD. I dread to think how she came to learn not to ask.

By being well raised.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on boards.

I can't even...

I suspect that is because she is being raised properly. What is truly sad is that you don't seem to be trolling... It really seems like you believe love is expressed through material things. That makes me think that you don't know what love is at all.

I believe love is not leaving your children stuck between 2 crappy DVDs! Buy her the second one if they love her! I would! If i'd kids and money in the bank, they'd want for nothing! By all means i would not spoil them! They won't find baby ponys at the door every morning! But i have the neck to drag them around HMV while i buy myself some nice goodies, i'm not gonna stand there watching the kids struggling on which DVD they want more than the other. I'd say "€5 each, fine, get 'em both, my child, the person i created, enjoy both those cheapo made-for-TV Disney muck movies!". The lack of humility on this thread is terrifying me. As for my post being "Ridiculous", i don't see me replying to any of your threads and yet here you are. So obviously not so ridiculous that you want your say, if that's what i'd even call a say.

At this stage, i can only shake my head in disbelief.

Careful it doesn't fall off!

• Advertisement

It's sad to see that some people confuse "love" with "buying me things". It really is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

I believe love is not leaving your children stuck between 2 crappy DVDs! Buy her the second one if they love her! I would!

yes, because love is letting your children think that they can have anything they want, and not have them learn the value of things, or teach them how to make decisions...

you seem to confuse love with materialism.

EDI: Bluewolf beat me to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

Almost was tempted if i'm being honest. There they are standing right next to me at the shelf and my blood was boiling. I'm very impulsive and something like that gets my goat.

If you were that bothered why didn't you buy it for her, it would show her how easy it is to get what she wants.

You think the parents are bad but you seem to think giving kids everything they want is good, it's not you know.

For all you know they could have been in another shop where she wanted something and they might have bought it for her, you are judging them on this one incident.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Good parenting does not involve spoiling a child [your term not mine], no parent should be spoiling rotten their adult child either. Of course parents should help where needed, but adults should be standing on their own two feet, unless there is a problem that the parents are helping to address, even then you should ask why the adult is not addressing this themselves.

Spoiling a child has nothing to do with love.

My folks buy me presents, i buy them presents, it's how it works. Tell a child you love them on Christmas morning with no gifts under the tree. I dare anyone. Buying gifts for loved ones is as old as time. I'm not talking about spoiling, i'm talking being decent and on ocassion, not begrudging a kid a second piece of crap cheap toy or movie.

So now you're using the word "Retarded"? Aren't you just lovely? I'm actually surprised i haven't blocked you already. And now you're admitting to living on hand outs from your parents? Wow, your opinion is so valuable in this conversation. A 26 year old man who believe parentss shouldn't buy their kids a second (All-time) DVD as it'll spoil them, but yet crawls to his own folks for money. They sure thought you the value of money and how to stand on your own feet, didn't they? Blocked.

I think you will find that the definition of retarded is no longer what it once was and is perfectly apt for this.

Please if you are going to reply to my posts read them first. I never said I rely on my patents for money, in fact I haven't taken money off of them since I finished college. What my parents do is they might buy me a little something every now and again, such as the really nice pocket watch they got me awhile back. They knew I always wanted one but at the moment can't afford to get one. Or recently when they saw a box set of the Flash Gordon serials from the 30s they bought it for me and gave it to me as a gift. Or the time a few months back when thry gave me some money asi wanted to take my girlfriend out to celebrate a small ocassion but couldnt afford to. Small gestures like that make me appreciate what I get. My parents do not need to lavish gifts on me to show how much they love and care for me and I feel sorry for you if that's how you judge love.

I love this way you block anyone who disagrees with you yet have said in other threads you want debate. You don't, like a child you just want others to agree with you.

And again it's most likely the first DVD the child bought its self not the first they ever got.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement