Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone memory

Options
  • 22-11-2012 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi i'm looking for phone memory, where is a reasonable site for deals also if it can tell you what type of memory your phone needs.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

I assume you are looking for a micro SD card for more storage space.

What model of phone do you have, just to make sure a) the phone can take a card and b) the correct type of card it can accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

hearny wrote: »
    I assume you are looking for a micro SD card for more storage space.

What model of phone do you have, just to make sure a) the phone can take a card and b) the correct type of card it can accept.

Yeah they need it for more storage space. The person i'm getting it for has a samsung slider phone, but that's the most i know, as they've only got the internal memory & never got any external memory for it & have asked me to see if i can get any for them.

Thanks.

Try to find out the exact model number of the phone, consult the box / receipt if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,578 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

A micro sd card is what you want, you can get a 16gb one delivered on ebay from ireland for around 10 euro....

hearny wrote: »
    Try to find out the exact model number of the phone, consult the box / receipt if possible.

The phone is a Samsung JLH J7001, as i had to have a look at the inside of it.

• Advertisement

According to the manual the phone only supports Micro SD Cards up to 2GB

"To store additional multimedia files, you must insert a memory card. Your phone accepts microSD memory cards up to 2 GB (depending on memory card manufacturer and type)."

from the manual page 18
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200802/20080205151101875_SGH-J700_UG_Open_Eng_Rev.1.1_080125.pdf

They are available from play.com for 3.70
    http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/3251313/SanDisk-2GB-Micro-SD-Memory-Card/Product.html?searchstring=micro+sd&searchsource=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

Not too much point in shopping around with that price but if you do make sure the card you get is not SDHC as your phone probably wont recognise it.

Thanks a lot, can you use that site to check for other phones later on?

That's pretty good & reasonably cheap for memory. Yeah the two are always confusing me micro sd & sdhc, as the latter is only for cameras afaik :confused:

The HC is just high capacity just an update on the SD technology and its backward compatible so a standard SD card will work in a device that accepts SDHC but not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,154 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You can check for compatible memory here

They are based in Kildare (I think) and if its any help I bought stuff from them a couple of times in the past and never had any issues. Speedy delivery also.

Hi,

Does anyone know on where to get reasonably priced memory for a Samsung Galaxy Ace, afaik its a micro sd card, but cant find it on the memory configurator on memoryc.

Thanks for any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Hi,

Does anyone know on where to get reasonably priced memory for a Samsung Galaxy Ace, afaik its a micro sd card, but cant find it on the memory configurator on memoryc.

Thanks for any replies.

I would say it recognises all micro sd cards.

I got a 32gb one deliver for a Tenner on eBay last week. Just search micro sd and refine it to buy it now posts between 5 and 15 euro and you'll find a good price on one.

Chewabacca wrote: »
    I would say it recognises all micro sd cards.

I got a 32gb one deliver for a Tenner on eBay last week. Just search micro sd and refine it to buy it now posts between 5 and 15 euro and you'll find a good price on one.

I wouldnt have thought of ebay, as i was put off by there by reports of fake cards.

What brand is preferable, are class sizes, transfer rates a big difference?

Thanks, as it seems there are a lot to choose from?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

I got this one, others are a euro or 2 cheaper but chose this because its only coming from UK.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/32GB-MICRO-SD-MEMORY-CARD-WITH-ADAPTOR-BRAND-NEW-IN-RETAIL-PACK-/151092234553?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_PDAsAccessories_MemoryCards&hash=item232dcc8939

It's in my phone now working grand.

Thanks, as i was away, just looking at it now, seems good, but there's one thing i saw & want to know what's the difference between Class 4 & Class 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Its the speed that the card operators at
    i.e Class 4 reads/writes at 2MB/s

Class 2 for SD video recording
    Class 4 and 6 for high-definition video (HD) to Full HD video recording,
    Class 10 for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills
    UHS Speed Grade 1 for real-time broadcasts and large HD video files

billbond4 wrote: »
    Its the speed that the card operators at
    i.e Class 4 reads/writes at 2MB/s

Class 2 for SD video recording
    Class 4 and 6 for high-definition video (HD) to Full HD video recording,
    Class 10 for Full HD video recording and consecutive recording of HD stills
    UHS Speed Grade 1 for real-time broadcasts and large HD video files

The reason i was asking was, i saw these 2 from memoryc:
    Class 4
    Class 10

Pardon my ignorance in this, as i dont know anything on these type of cards, but it sounds like you're limited on the write speed & anything else that has to be mentioned, as i would be using this for a long time (i hope)

Thanks.

if you will be using the memory card for a long time,
    I would recommend getting a class 10, as with future technology changes this would suit you, as more data centric applications of the card will be fine with class 10.

Thanks as that's the intention, as you hope these things will last a long time,hopefully the same duration of the phone.

With technology constantly evolving, you hope to keep up with it & going with a 32GB card instead of a 16GB as i assume it'll be better in the long run, as i assume once you get started, these things dont be long in filling up?:)

Yeah I would recommend to most people that a class10 32GB will do them

billbond4 wrote: »
    Yeah I would recommend to most people that a class10 32GB will do them

Thanks, that's greatly appreciated.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

Class 4 will do absolutely fine for a phone unless you're going to be constantly emptying it and filling it (file transfer speed will be slow enough).

MemoryC have an Irish website as well btw: http://www.memoryc.ie/products/type/Flash_Memory_Cards/microSD/index.html?Type=microSDHC

Not sure I'd trust those ones on ebay, if they look too good to be true they probably are. Some of them say 32GB when you put them in your laptop but don't hold half that much. Can also fail easily, google it.

Yeah, i gave two i'm looking at above, but with that size you probably wont be emptying it, as it will have that much space, only maybe changing music sometimes, depends really on what you're gonna do with it, but i'd want something for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Try flubit, I got a few euro off the cheapest I could find online, which I think was on www.mymemory.co.uk

flubit only take amazon.co.uk prices now, the card was only pence more on amazon.

Advertisement