Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fair Play to Cristiano Ronaldo - Donates 1.5million euros to Gaza

• 22-11-2012 1:23am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Although, I have always respected Ronaldo as a footballer, I have to say that this is the first team I've truly respected Ronaldo as a person. Fair play to him and I only wish more footballers would do the same. Without getting into politics, the incident that began the entire conflict in Gaza was the shooting dead of a 11 year old Palestinian boy by the Israeli defense forces who was playing soccer. As it turned out he was wearing a Real Madrid jersey.

Story here.
    http://rt.com/sport/football/ronaldo-gaza-real-madrid-237/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Fair play to him. It's an incredible gesture and worthy of any praise he gets however this thread will be an absolute train wreck of epic proportions!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Awesome, wonder what he'll buy with it? A new fishing rod perhaps?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

So he donates his golden boot for auction, something he got for free. He earns nearly 600k I think a week. Wow well done Ronaldo.:rolleyes: Ronaldo donates a golden boot, big frickin deal

The true hero of soccer donations is Didier Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭ConorCBS

areyawell wrote: »
    So he donates his golden boot for auction, something he got for free. He earns nearly 600k I think a week. Wow well done Ronaldo.:rolleyes: Ronaldo donates a golden boot, big frickin deal

Who cares where he got the money from? He donated €1,500,000 to charity FFS!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ConorCBS wrote: »
    Who cares where he got the money from? He donated €1,500,000 to charity FFS!

No, he donated his golden boot. It was sold for €1.5m and the funds given to charity. The article is misleading, the cash didn't come out of his own pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A fishing rod and a six pack would be of more use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

All spent on Rocket Launchers.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Zaph wrote: »
    No, he donated his golden boot. It was sold for €1.5m and the funds given to charity. The article is misleading, the cash didn't come out of his own pocket.

Im sure the kids receiving the money care about how he got it.

Ronaldo is in the top two players in the world, by all accounts hes a lovely guy, and gave an asset valued at 1,5million to help children.

What did you do today?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ebbs wrote: »
    Im sure the kids receiving the money care about how he got it.

Ronaldo is in the top two players in the world, by all accounts hes a lovely guy, and gave an asset valued at 1,5million to help children.

What did you do today?

I never said it wasn't a nice gesture or that he wasn't a nice guy, I was merely correcting the misleading impression given by both the thread title and the article headline that he actually donated the cash himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Did he really though?

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/11/20/ronaldos-golden-rumour-unlikely-to-be-true/
    However, the story reeks of a hoax, with neither Real Madrid’s official site validating the news, nor any major Spanish daily covering it, as reported in many of the articles reporting the story. Also, the likelihood of Indonesian site Tribunnews being one of the first to report the news of Ronaldo’s ‘generous donation’ makes the whole story more make-believe than genuine news.

No confirmation has come from Ronaldo’s official Twitter handle either.

Also supporting claims of a falsification are stories in the past that have linked Lionel Messi with the Palestinian cause, which later have been called by many sections of the media as a hoax.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

In fairness it was reported on the Real Madrid Arabic TV channel. It's hardly surprising that its not widely reported, a lot of people who donate to charity don't want it to go public especially on such a sensitive political issue.

Only last year the Real Madrid Foundation auctioned Ronaldo's shoes to fund school-building in Gaza so it would hardly be surprising if its true.

As for those posters saying he didn't do much? The asset he auctioned away was valued at 1.5 million. That's like saying someone who auctions away their home and then proceeds to give all the money to charity didn't do much. Maybe he is on 600K a week, but how many other footballers have given 1.5million euro to a charity?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

To those interested, an interview from the boy's father. A lot of Real Madrid references so it wouldn't surprise me that Real Madrid would donate a lot of money in response.
    GAZA CITY (Ma'an) -- Hamid Younis Abu Daqqa, 13, always wore his Real Madrid shirt when he played soccer with his friends. He died wearing the same shirt, killed by Israeli forces before the second half of a game with friends could be finished.

His father said Hamid would imitate Real Madrid star Ronaldo while playing in front of his Gaza home.

"My house is located in an area away from clashes, nearly one and a half kilometers away from the nearest point of the borders with Israel, therefore I didn't have a problem with my son playing in front of the house," Hamid's father told Ma'an.

"I received a phone call. His friend was on the phone telling me that my son was shot in the chest. I rushed to the hospital and found him dying."

Hamid would never miss a Real Madrid game.

"Despite me pushing him to focus on his schoolwork, he would be mesmerized in front of the TV screen watching games," his father said.

Hamid used to play soccer every day for 30 minutes before sundown, his attention focused on the ball, blocking out the sound of Israeli helicopters.

It was during a game he loved that Hamid was killed, his white Real Madrid shirt stained red as the bullets hit him.

Medics said Hamid was hit by machine gun fire, either from Israeli helicopters or tanks, during an incursion into the Gaza Strip on Thursday.

An Israeli army spokeswoman said at the time that reports of injuries were being checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Higher wrote: »
    In fairness it was reported on the Real Madrid Arabic TV channel. It's hardly surprising that its not widely reported, a lot of people who donate to charity don't want it to go public especially on such a sensitive political issue.

Only last year the Real Madrid Foundation auctioned Ronaldo's shoes to fund school-building in Gaza so it would hardly be surprising if its true.

As for those posters saying he didn't do much? The asset he auctioned away was valued at 1.5 million. That's like saying someone who auctions away their home and then proceeds to give all the money to charity didn't do much. Maybe he is on 600K a week, but how many other footballers have given 1.5million euro to a charity?
    Someones home is a bit different! The normal person takes 30 years to pay off their mortgage and it's needed to live your life.
    It's more like saying if you won something that was worth 2 weeks wages and donated it to charity, as the thing is valued at 2 weeks of ronaldos wages. And more than likely, the normal person needs these wages to live, ronaldo doesn't, it's probably just building up in a bank. So it's worth less than that to him. And I seriously doubt it's worth that much too.
    Not knocking him, fair play to him if it he did do it, just putting it in perspective.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Someones home is a bit different! The normal person takes 30 years to pay off their mortgage and it's needed to live your life.
    It's more like saying if you won something that was worth 2 weeks wages and donated it to charity, as the thing is valued at 2 weeks of ronaldos wages. And more than likely, the normal person needs these wages to live, ronaldo doesn't, it's probably just building up in a bank. So it's worth less than that to him. And I seriously doubt it's worth that much too.
    Not knocking him, fair play to him if it he did do it, just putting it in perspective.

It's worth the exact same to the children in Gaza and that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Cienciano wrote: »

Does Ronaldo earn 1.5m every two weeks? Surley that can't be right? I would have imagined that to be 4-6 weeks wages before tax.

Anyway, nice gesture from Ronaldo. Not sure why anyone would want to argue the toss over this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Nice touch, hope it's spent well.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Anyone else worried about this?

Gazza's enough of a mess as it is without another million and a half to spend on booze????

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great gesture if true. He always will be a red legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Does Ronaldo earn 1.5m every two weeks? Surley that can't be right? I would have imagined that to be 4-6 weeks wages before tax.

Anyway, nice gesture from Ronaldo. Not sure why anyone would want to argue the toss over this.

Ronaldo earns 560,000 a week. With Spains economic crisis Spains taxes have been increased to 52% for those over a certain wage so ronaldo earns around 290,000 a week after tax.
    Did anyone see Ronaldos antics through matches this season? He is upset that he is only earning 290,000 a week after tax and he wants a new salary. I seriously thought he gave the golden boot away and he is the most materialistic person you can find.

Lionel Messi is the highest paid soccer player in the world, earning slightly more than Ronaldo.

Ronaldo earns 560,000 a week. With Spains economic crisis Spains taxes have been increased to 52% for those over a certain wage so ronaldo earns around 290,000 a week after tax.
    Did anyone see Ronaldos antics through matches this season? He is upset that he is only earning 290,000 a week after tax and he wants a new salary. I seriously thought he gave the golden boot away and he is the most materialistic person you can find.

Lionel Messi is the highest paid soccer player in the world, earning slightly more than Ronaldo.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You know Ronaldo do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

True or not, I think we can all accept that certain people here will think its not enough.
    For some if he single handedly wrote off world debt they'd moan that he didn't come up with a cure for cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Where are you getting those figures from? That'd put him at €25m a year, which I didn't think any footballer earned.

You also seem to be speaking like you know the lad. Materialistic? WTF? It's like something they'd write in the Sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

whatnext wrote: »
    True or not, I think we can all accept that certain people here will think its not enough.
    For some if he single handedly wrote off world debt they'd moan that he didn't come up with a cure for cancer.

+1.

I dont have problem with people still disliking him, but to put this story down is just sad.

Advertisement