Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Window Locks to Double Glazed Aluminium Frame.

• 22-11-2012 6:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

I want to fit window locks (one on each side) of a top hinged outward opening double glazed aluminium window, but am afraid that I will compromise / damage the sealed glass unit when drilling the fixing screws in, as the available space on the opening window frame is very narrow 2.5cm.

update.jpg

The locks I'm thinking of getting are similar to THESE ONES. I know they're the wrong colour but my main concern is damaging the actual glass unit itself, even if I fit the lock itself as far away as possible from the glass. As far as I can make out so far it looks as if I'd be drilling into the side of the spacer bar, or would I?, as I don't know how far it actually stretches over in the frame, or if drilling into the outside of the spacebar would be a stupid thing to do. If there's any danger of damage I'd leave it.

Any advice or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I want to fit window locks (one on each side) of a top hinged outward opening double glazed aluminium window, but am afraid that I will compromise / damage the sealed glass unit when drilling the fixing screws in, as the available space on the opening window frame is very narrow 2.5cm.

update.jpg

The locks I'm thinking of getting are similar to THESE ONES. I know they're the wrong colour but my main concern is damaging the actual glass unit itself, even if I fit the lock itself as far away as possible from the glass. As far as I can make out so far it looks as if I'd be drilling into the side of the spacer bar, or would I?, as I don't know how far it actually stretches over in the frame, or if drilling into the outside of the spacebar would be a stupid thing to do. If there's any danger of damage I'd leave it.

Any advice or suggestions?

you would defo need to remove the glass i do a lot of these and i try,d it once with the glass in and broke the glass.you will aso probably have to pop rivet them on as aluminium does not like screw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

massy086 wrote: »
    you would defo need to remove the glass i do a lot of these and i try,d it once with the glass in and broke the glass.you will aso probably have to pop rivet them on as aluminium does not like screw
    Thanks for that - I figured it might be more trouble than it's worth! I appreciate your reply.

Advertisement