Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you wear leathers for city driving?

• 22-11-2012 6:52am

So you guys wear leathers all the time or would ya be happy with jeans around a city where speeds aren't particularly high?

In Hanoi here and I've never seen them being worn.. Like today for example, I drive down the street about a kilometre to a restaurant, then back 500m to the cafe I'm in now and then back to the school after lunch. Too hot to walk and generally more dangerous.

I have crashed a moped at 60/70kph before and broke my collar bone but still wouldn't do leathers in a moped city..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Kevlar jeans, or cordura. I find cordura cooler as it usually has vents but jeans look less obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

wear gloves and jacket regardless.

full leathers for spins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Yup always gloves and jacket....jeans OK for town but no way would I wear jeans on a full spin :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lid, jacket and gloves is all I usually wear around town, never saw the need for more.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

So you guys wear leathers all the time or would ya be happy with jeans around a city where speeds aren't particularly high?

In Hanoi here and I've never seen them being worn.. Like today for example, I drive down the street about a kilometre to a restaurant, then back 500m to the cafe I'm in now and then back to the school after lunch. Too hot to walk and generally more dangerous.

I have crashed a moped at 60/70kph before and broke my collar bone but still wouldn't do leathers in a moped city..

There is a huge difference in temp and humidity between Hanoi and Ireland and a huge difference in average road speeds. Which plays a huge part in justifying gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

bladespin wrote: »
    Lid, jacket and gloves is all I usually wear around town, never saw the need for more.

At least put a pair of underpants on FFS.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Don't think I'd risk it, as according to some posters on here a kitten dies every time someone doesn't wear ATGATT

ninja900 wrote: »
    At least put a pair of underpants on FFS.

Jocks are for gurls, manys the time I've gone commando ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

How much do you value your skin ? That's the question you should ask yourself. Get yourself some Sarsto or Draggin jeans and always wear gloves, boots, helmet and jacket.

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    How much do you value your skin ? That's the question you should ask yourself. Get yourself some Sarsto or Draggin jeans and always wear gloves, boots, helmet and jacket.

Doubt you'd loose much riding in city traffic. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You should see my knee caps. Although admittedly my fault many moons ago.

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    You should see my knee caps. Although admittedly my fault many moons ago.

How fast were you going that you slid?

How fast were you going that you slid?

Came through the traffic lights at Hassetts Cross in Limerick on to a hill at about 45mph (1st mistake), white van in front hard broke, I slapped on my brakes (2nd mistake) and the 125cc Yamaha Majesty that I was riding slipped out at the rear throwing me clear. Damn lucky I didn't loose my head to a car in the other lane. That spill was a wake up call to me.

Depends on the accident. My mate who was dragged down the road under a truck would say he was doing 0kph at the time of the accident. Still lost most of the skin on his left leg. ****ed his Achilles tendon up and will never run again. Struggles to stand up most of the time.

Had he been wearing boots and leathers he would have been fine.

Had he been wearing boots and leathers he would have been fine.

How can you be sure of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you do come off and get scars it would be cool. When people ask you about it you can tell them you got them in when you were back in Nam, you don't want to talk about it.

How can you be sure of that?

How can I be sure that he would have been fine? Might be due to the fact that motorbike boots and trousers are designed to protect from the exact injury's he acquired from the accident.

I don't mind bikers who are aware of what happens when you crash without gear and choose to do it regardless, but people who fools themselves into believing that good gear does nothing I just can't understand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

How can I be sure that he would have been fine? Might be due to the fact that motorbike boots and trousers are designed to protect from the exact injury's he acquired from the accident.

I don't mind bikers who are aware of what happens when you crash without gear and choose to do it regardless, but people who fools themselves into believing that good gear does nothing I just can't understand.

I've come off bikes three times - only one of those times was I wearing protective pants & boots. Guess which resulted in a broken leg?

Biking is dangerous regardless of what you're wearing, gear is not the be all and end all of safe riding.

He didn't say wearing gear does nothing, just that you cant guarantee it will save you.
    Obviously you're better off coming off with all the gear on, but it doesn't mean you will be ok.

Good gear can save you a lot of pain, can doesn't mean will though, also coming off when not wearing gear doesn't mean instant death - tis all I'm saying, there are no guarantees in crashing, believeing otherwise is folly.

BTW I've crashed both with and without gear (pretty good quality too) guess which one I walked away from, guess which one I didn't :rolleyes: The crash without the gear was a lot faster and more spectacular too, wish I'd been watching it instead of in the middle of it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I live currently in Chiang Mai Thailand .Around the town center the only protection i wear is a helmet .I dont even wear that in my outer suburb area where i live .Going on a long run here i wear full length jeans ,proper shoes ,and a light cord material motorcycle jacket with protection built in .( bought the jacket back in Ireland at Aldi ) .
    I have been to Hanoi ,and like Thailand their 3 euro helmets are a joke ,just light plastic material with no lineing .

anto9 wrote: »
    I live currently in Chiang Mai Thailand .Around the town center the only protection i wear is a helmet .I dont even wear that in my outer suburb area where i live .Going on a long run here i wear full length jeans ,proper shoes ,and a light cord material motorcycle jacket with protection built in .( bought the jacket back in Ireland at Aldi ) .
    I have been to Hanoi ,and like Thailand their 3 euro helmets are a joke ,just light plastic material with no lineing .
    Be careful you don't end up in the moat on the way back from bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Cienciano wrote: »
    Be careful you don't end up in the moat on the way back from bubbles

Ha ,HA , no i have a ball and chain at home ( the Thai wife ) .:D

anto9 wrote: »
    Ha ,HA , no i have a ball and chain at home ( the Thai wife ) .:D
    Ah right, no bubbles for you :(
    I went up that big hill beside Chiang Mai on a rented bike. Lovely day going up, but lashed rain while up there. Basically a dirt track doing down, the bike was sliding down even when front and back brakes were locked!

Happy memories driving around from pub to pub with no helmet too :D
    Bikes were small though, barely faster than a bicycle.

Advertisement