Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Battle

Options
  • 22-11-2012 8:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

So the battle has started within my family already. My mother wants us all to go to her for Christmas as usual. I said after last year that I would not be doing that again. My sister and her brood are pretty hard to take after two hours so I would really rather just stay at home in my own house. I have been saying it frequently for the last 12 months to get the message across. I seem to have failed.

So will you travel to family for Christmas or stay in your own place?

Where will you spend Christmas day 64 votes

With the family
    0% 0 votes
    In my own place
    100% 64 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

toexpress wrote: »
    So the battle has started within my family already. My mother wants us all to go to her for Christmas as usual. I said after last year that I would not be doing that again. My sister and her brood are pretty hard to take after two hours so I would really rather just stay at home in my own house. I have been saying it frequently for the last 12 months to get the message across. I seem to have failed.

So will you travel to family for Christmas or stay in your own place?

Go to family for christmas if you can.

You don't know what its like when you can't go.

I haven't had a family christmas since 2005.

Fly home for weddings each year, and as a result can't afford the price airlines charge for flights over Dec-Jan period.

Do it while you can.

My youngest brother is in Christchurch, came over a few weeks ago. So he'll spend christmas with me this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I'd rather spend it handing out food to homeless than with my crew. The three day hangover after last year is still emblazoned on my mind and that was just what I drank to deal with my sister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You've pretty much answered your own question there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I thought this was going to be about Mohammad vs Jesus.

I think Jesus would win in a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

spending it with family definitely. cousins, aunties, uncles, grandparents, brother and parents. it's great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Poll needs some more options OP.

Add a "at the other halfs place" or something similar.

Thats where i'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'd rather not have Christmas in my own place. If I did, it'd just be a sad little tree in the corner and me crying into my soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Family.

It's what Christmas is all about.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Poll needs some more options OP.

Add a "at the other halfs place" or something similar.

Thats where i'll be.

Anyone provide any pointers on how to edit the poll??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Family.

It's what Christmas is all about.

Says who?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Says who?
    Holy God. And his sister Therese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Says who?

Santa somewhere in the New Testament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

your mother won't be around forever, and when she is not there anymore you will be WISHING you had went to her for Christmas.

You can stay in your own house for every day for the rest of the year.

Make an effort. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

OneArt wrote: »
    I'd rather not have Christmas in my own place. If I did, it'd just be a sad little tree in the corner and me crying into my soup.
    Bread and water not good enough for ya?

Moved from After Hours because some of them there mods are bah humbugs (not me though).

Christmas Forum now applies.

• Moderators Posts: 51,805 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Will be spending Christmas day at the family home as it will be the last there most likely. The dad is moving out of the country next year so myself + siblings are planning to be at home at Christmas day to celebrate all the good Christmas days we had in that house :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

I'm doing both!

Last year for the first time, I had dinner in my house and all of my family came. 15 people. This year I'll have 17 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Anyone provide any pointers on how to edit the poll??

You should be able to click 'edit poll' up the top right of where the poll section is? If you can't - PM me with the additional options you want and I'll see if I can edit it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

I used to have the same problem Op, So i started my own tradition of having our Chrstmas dinner at home in my own house, with hubby & kids. If family wish to visit then by all means do! I even invite them for dinner, but when it's in my own home it's less stressful, especially if you are dealing with family that are all about 'me,me,me,me,me,me'. It works for me :-)

I used to have the same problem Op, So i started my own tradition of having our Chrstmas dinner at home in my own house, with hubby & kids. If family wish to visit then by all means do! I even invite them for dinner, but when it's in my own home it's less stressful, especially if you are dealing with family that are all about 'me,me,me,me,me,me'. It works for me :-)

I'm thinking of drawing the curtains and pretending I'm not in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Apart from the fact I still live at home!! There has only ever been me and the mammy and it'l be the same this year. I go as all out as possible to make Christmas big and fun. For years my best friend used to gripe and grumble at me that I was far too ott with the whole Christmas thing, but last night told me it was cos he was jealous. He has a big family but as they got older (he's the youngest) they just didn't have the big 'wow' of Christmas anymore. He said he loves how my house is always sparkly and the tree is always lit up (his mam doesn't often bother), how games are always played, a big deal is made of everything. He loves to come down and spend time with us :) Made me so happy

hdowney wrote: »
    Apart from the fact I still live at home!! There has only ever been me and the mammy and it'l be the same this year. I go as all out as possible to make Christmas big and fun. For years my best friend used to gripe and grumble at me that I was far too ott with the whole Christmas thing, but last night told me it was cos he was jealous. He has a big family but as they got older (he's the youngest) they just didn't have the big 'wow' of Christmas anymore. He said he loves how my house is always sparkly and the tree is always lit up (his mam doesn't often bother), how games are always played, a big deal is made of everything. He loves to come down and spend time with us :) Made me so happy

But Christmas doesn't have the same sparkle to be honest. It's as plain as day. Sad but true!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I will be packing my little bag as usual and heading to my parents house on Christmas morning for a couple of days.

They only live a 3 minute drive away but it feels more Christmassy to stay over :o

But Christmas doesn't have the same sparkle to be honest. It's as plain as day. Sad but true!!

Not in this house. Christmas sparkles in this house. I still get so excited I can't sleep Christmas Eve, even though I know there is no Santa, I still can't sleep. I still get excited about Christmas, I think I always will

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Not in this house. Christmas sparkles in this house. I still get so excited I can't sleep Christmas Eve, even though I know there is no Santa, I still can't sleep. I still get excited about Christmas, I think I always will

I can never sleep either :D We still all get up at about 7am for presents!

Its a family thing in my home. One of my brothers and his dog will come sleep over for a few nights, as his girlfriend goes to her family home. And my other brother and girlfriend come pretty early in the day with their 2 dogs and stay till late. Can't leave dogs home alone on Christmas!!

OP I can understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I dread all the time spent with them, and there usually is a drunken Monopoly row at the end of it all. But it would break my parent's heart for me not to be home on Christmas, even if it would make me happier to stay away.

For me Christmas is what is best for everyone, and I know it wouldn't be the same for my family if I wasn't there. They'd all feel a little sadder. So I'll grin and bare it, and try make the most of the day with a positive attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

OHHHHH man I would hate to spend Christmas without my family.. Id be crying all day...

My parents do the house up beautifully, my sister and husband and two kids come back from Holland. And well my brothers used to join us at some stage but one has well, we just say nought he does what he likes and pants the other will not be here till Christmas day but he is still making the effort to come down...

Christmas is nothing without family even if ye are at odds let it be for the day and enjoy... Must say i have a fairly rocking family and love them all to bits so consider myself very very lucky..

My mmm manfriend goes to his parents place for dinner, he would be the only missing link but then it is his christmas too... would love one year for us all to be together for the excitment but for now we still have all the other days

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

You can't judge what other people's Christmasses are like though! You can't really assume somebody's day doesn't 'have the same sparkle' just because you feel your day doesn't. ;)

Hdowney, sounds like you have a lovely time at Christmas!
    You sound so excited about the festive season- you are definitely one of the boardsies I'm dying to meet in 'real life' and I hope you have an amazing Christmas Day! :)

Bring on Sunday- then it'll only be a month to go!! \o/

I try my best :) I can't wait to meet you too. Hopefully we'll be at the same beers soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

even though I know there is no Santa

What??! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

This Christmas is the first time we'll ever have both my sisters, their partners and all their kids and dogs over! I'm excited and dreading it at the same time- I'm forseeing christmas fights.
    I tend to only stay with my family til about 8pm though and then I run to my boyfriends family for 2nd Christmas dinner and epic wii tournaments!

Advertisement