Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phonewatch dodgy sales techniques again.

Options
  • 22-11-2012 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭

Got a door to door sales guy knocking at my door on tuesday night. Said he was from Eircom phonewatch and off he went on his speil.
    But part of his sales pitch was telling me that there had been an 'epidemic' of break ins in my estate in the last year.
    Now I know this to be untrue as I work with the community guard who tells us that our estate has a relatively low instance of break ins. I rechecked with the community guard and he says that nothing has changed...there is no epidemic.

So can only presume that Eircom phonewatch are spoofing and saying anything to try to frighten people in to buying their product. So bewarned!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭kirving

Airtricity also lie about potential savings. 8% on gas and 12% on electricity adds up to 20% savings according to a salesman.

UPC push 100Mb+ 'fibrepower' broadband, which doesn't actually use fibre optic all the way to your house, for gaming, even though speed gas nothing to do with gaming really.

My point is that they're all at it, and the only way to stop companies making up rubbish is to consistantly complain about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Like the previous poster says. They're ALL at it. It's down to the prospective customer to make their own checks and do the maths.

NEVER sign anything straight away, even if the salesman says he can only give you the offer now. It's the usual BS anyway. I always ask for literature. For some strange reason, I never get it...:rolleyes: But then I worked in Sales for many years. You can't kid a kidder!!! :D

I think it's the law you can get a 14 day cooling off period anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I never buy anything off a door to door salesman as you get nothing in writing and can't check the claims. Also most offers are available anyways.
    I'm with vodafone at home and keep getting eircom sales men telling me how much better their product is when in fact they give you the same product but lower spec.
    lies, damn lies.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I was a salesman for many years and I subscribe to the adage 'treat others how you'd want to be treated'

When I walk into a shop and am bounded up to I always say "Thank you I'll give you a shout if I need you" polite no reason not to be - I personally don't have an issue with people coming up to me when I walk into their space.

I deal with door to door sales people in a very different manner. If they wont shut up after a polite No thank you they get the door shut in their face. It really is about time door-to-door sales were banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Talk to eircom, to give the eircom reps a chance to respond

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Talk to eircom, to give the eircom reps a chance to respond

dudara

In fairness the purpose of creating this thread in consumer issues was to raise awareness of this trick that Eircom phonewatch door to door sales guys are using. Putting this in the eircom subforum just hides it away and defeats the purpose?

I am guessing that and Eircom rep will come on here and say that this is not company policy, they hire an external company to do door to door sales and that they will let this 3rd party company know that the issue has been raised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Got a door to door sales guy knocking at my door on tuesday night. Said he was from Eircom phonewatch and off he went on his speil.
    But part of his sales pitch was telling me that there had been an 'epidemic' of break ins in my estate in the last year.
    Now I know this to be untrue as I work with the community guard who tells us that our estate has a relatively low instance of break ins. I rechecked with the community guard and he says that nothing has changed...there is no epidemic.

So can only presume that Eircom phonewatch are spoofing and saying anything to try to frighten people in to buying their product. So bewarned!!

Hi Trigger Happy
    Thanks for posting this. This is obviously not an approach we support. I have passed this information on however if you did not mind PM'ing me your address I can investigate exact interaction.
    Tony

Tony: Why even engage in these tactics in the first place? Surely in the days of the interweb if people want an alarm they can find the information out themselves. This type of sales technique really belongs in a by-gone era of snake oil and dodgy cars.

Tony: Why even engage in these tactics in the first place? Surely in the days of the interweb if people want an alarm they can find the information out themselves. This type of sales technique really belongs in a by-gone era of snake oil and dodgy cars.

I honestly do not know Procrastastudy.:rolleyes: Certainly if I needed something I'd be hitting the web - but it must work for some people? I suppose in a recession business need to spread their "net" wide.
    Tony

I honestly do not know Procrastastudy.:rolleyes: Certainly if I needed something I'd be hitting the web - but it must work for some people? I suppose in a recession business need to spread their "net" wide.
    Tony

Surely it smacks of desperation and dodgy sales techniques? I assume these lads out doing this are on commission only so therefore are more likely to resort to 'used car salesman' tactics? Could a similar result be achieved by dropping a leaflet through the door with a phone number to ring to arrange an appointment with a salaried professional? If not it sounds like Eircom actually want a high pressure on the door step of people's homes?

Perhaps the sales or marketing directors might have a comment they would like you to pass on? I know that in, the UK for example, Thames Valley police have advised people to put stickers up on their doors (which the police produce) due to a number of issues with door to door sales people. It ranged from con artists to simply pushy sales on vulnerable people.

• Advertisement

Surely it smacks of desperation and dodgy sales techniques? I assume these lads out doing this are on commission only so therefore are more likely to resort to 'used car salesman' tactics? Could a similar result be achieved by dropping a leaflet through the door with a phone number to ring to arrange an appointment with a salaried professional? If not it sounds like Eircom actually want a high pressure on the door step of people's homes?

Perhaps the sales or marketing directors might have a comment they would like you to pass on? I know that in, the UK for example, Thames Valley police have advised people to put stickers up on their doors (which the police produce) due to a number of issues with door to door sales people. It ranged from con artists to simply pushy sales on vulnerable people.

Hi Procrastastudy
    The plans and terms delivered door to door are regulated and any report of inappropriate behaviour or questionable "sales" tactics should be reported. We would certainly investigate and work to remove any "dodgy"practices. I have been advised that the marketing people are aware of the scheme you mention and we would also support any action to protect the public from "con artists" or "pushy" sales people.
    Tony

Thank you for coming back to me. I think it's obvious I'm not a fan of door-to-door sales people. I come from a sales background myself so I don't have a problem with sales people per se, just when they are unsolicited. That said I'll drop the subject as at least there seems to be a well staffed and quick to respond forum here, for complaints.

Thank you for coming back to me. I think it's obvious I'm not a fan of door-to-door sales people. I come from a sales background myself so I don't have a problem with sales people per se, just when they are unsolicited. That said I'll drop the subject as at least there seems to be a well staffed and quick to respond forum here, for complaints.

Thanks Procrastastudy..
    I can promise we will certainly respond and if you do have any further query or sugestion we are happy to hear from you.
    Tony

Advertisement