Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead - Ending Spoilers!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Syferus wrote: »
    It had the perfect amount of poignancy [...] I really don't think there is any scenario or way to do that idea that would have had more impact.

Well, if you knew the boy beforehand and the scenario wasn't just brought up & finished in the span of 5 minutes would've made it more impactful. I personally didn't have enough to go on, the premise alone isn't good enough to make me care that much. Horses for courses I guess. Maybe it depends if you yourself have a child and also a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

My only issue with my playthrough was Ben.
    My god he was annoying, wish Carley had lived instead....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I didn't like Ben either, until his angry rant at Kenny in Episode 5. Definitely made the character more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Well, if you knew the boy beforehand and the scenario wasn't just brought up & finished in the span of 5 minutes would've made it more impactful. I personally didn't have enough to go on, the premise alone isn't good enough to make me care that much. Horses for courses I guess. Maybe it depends if you yourself have a child and also a dog.

You don't get the same slow build-up, breaking into the house, exhuming his dog, seeing the food in the kitchen, the drawings on the fridge, the pictures on the wall. Everything that's good about the scene would be weakened if they followed the tact you're suggesting.

The reveal had more impact by being out of the blue than having some sort of rote introduction or conventional story-telling device for no other purpose than to provide 'context'. The context was already there, as was the build-up.

It reminded me of the scene from the first episode of the tv series/comic.
    Rick finding the zombified woman with no legs, crawling slowly through the field. Even though we didn't know who it was, it was still kind of sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finding it hard to get through book 2 of TWD ' road to woodbury' which is about lilly's journey. Couldnt give a sh1t about her after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Finding it hard to get through book 2 of TWD ' road to woodbury' which is about lilly's journey. Couldnt give a sh1t about her after the game.

are there books too? any links or light on that?

as for lilly: +1 m8. **** her.

are there books too? any links or light on that?

as for lilly: +1 m8. **** her.

Yeah there are 2 books out with one more to be released next year id say. Book one is 'rise of the governor'. You can get it in easons, o'mahonys, etc. for a tenner. Its a brilliant read, really recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I seem to be the only one who has any sympathy for Kenny. The end of Episode 4 up until after the attic scene in Episode 5 was the only time I didn't like him. I was genuinely sad when he gave his life to help Ben [I saved him in Ep 4]

Episode 5 was something amazing though. I was shocked when the stranger turned out to be the owner of the car, completely unexpected

I told Clem to run rather than shoot me, and I won't lie, I did get teary-eyed at the end. First time that's ever happened me with a game

One thing I don't understand though, and nobody else has said it so I must have completely misinterpreted what was happening. I thought the woman in the woods in Episode 2 was Clem's mother? She did have her hat and photo, I think she said something about her during the stand-off, and in the video recording at the end I'd swear she called her 'baby'. That's why throughout the game I never said to Clem that we'd look for her parents

That woman in episode 2 just went a bit mad after her own daughter was presumably raped and killed. When she saw clem, she just kind of became obsessed with 'saving' her just like the stranger and I guess just like lee, except a little less psycho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

sheehy83 wrote: »
    When she saw clem, she just kind of became obsessed with 'saving' her just like the stranger and I guess just like lee, except a little less psycho.

Seems to have happened to a few people here as well :)

Daemos wrote: »
    I seem to be the only one who has any sympathy for Kenny. The end of Episode 4 up until after the attic scene in Episode 5 was the only time I didn't like him. I was genuinely sad when he gave his life to help Ben [I saved him in Ep 4]

Episode 5 was something amazing though. I was shocked when the stranger turned out to be the owner of the car, completely unexpected

I told Clem to run rather than shoot me, and I won't lie, I did get teary-eyed at the end. First time that's ever happened me with a game

One thing I don't understand though, and nobody else has said it so I must have completely misinterpreted what was happening. I thought the woman in the woods in Episode 2 was Clem's mother? She did have her hat and photo, I think she said something about her during the stand-off, and in the video recording at the end I'd swear she called her 'baby'. That's why throughout the game I never said to Clem that we'd look for her parents

I liked kenny :(. Like I said before I wanted to clock that bitchy for going to pick that radio up and killing kenny in process :(. If you think about it, he was the most screwed character in game. He lost his wife and child.

Orim wrote: »

Seems to have happened to a few people here as well :)

Haha very very true man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

BizzyC wrote: »
    My only issue with my playthrough was Ben.
    My god he was annoying, wish Carley had lived instead....

Yeah, I had high hopes for Lee and Carly :P ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just finished episode 5 this evening having grabbed the whole thing in the steam sale. Fantastic stuff all round with a few issues. For some reason as good as the ending actually was I found myself more aware than at any point up to then that clem was voiced by an adult. Just slightly reduced the emotional impact for me. Reminded me of Benjamin Button and the ridiculous use of Cate Blanchett to voice over the child performer. I know it's probably a very difficult proposition to use a child voice actor for a game though.

My other gripe is the game engine. By christ do they need to update it. Twice the game refused to acknowledge that I had completed certain episodes and by some luck I managed to proceed without having to repeat too much bar the ending of episode 2 a couple of times. Really annoying. The freezes, glitchy highlighting of objects and so on just add further to the need to improve it. I do love the look of it though.

Regardless congrats to telltale on showing the gaming world how characters should be written in games. I don't think it has to be limited to adventure games and all genres should take pointers from it. I'm not usually an adventure game player but decided to take the punt based on the price, praise and the general impression that it wasn't your traditional (puzzles that make no sense whatsoever) adventure game and more an interactive movie which is fine with me and boy am I glad I did. Roll on Season 2.

I'm now laughing out loud watching Tobuscus play through it and watching his reactions to some of best bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I thought Clementine's voice actress was one the highlights of the whole experience. Pitch perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Another who sat in awe at the end credits all mixed up inside.

I loved this game and I can easily forgive it's few glitches and such because it was so worth it. For me the stand out part is how they used the mechanics of the game to draw you into it more. For example, have to fail here? Here's a quicktime event you have been using successfully but we're going to make it just out of your reach so you feel the struggle going on. They could have just used a cut scene but it wouldn't have done the same. Another was getting you to repeat actions to drill it home. The game could have had you point at guy's leg with axe and click but would have been no where near as immersive.

One thing I'd like to see in the sequel (along with a separate story) is maybe a setting to give us non twitch gamers another half second or so to react to some scenes. Anything that required instant action from my version of Lee saw him fail miserably from needing someone else to save Clem in the drug store to getting my ass handed to me by Molly.

Btw lads. I almost forgot:

The bunch of old people should ****ing sink like rats. I was quite pissed and really did not expected that.

Old bastards pretty much killed young ones. When the doctor offered to take care of the girl I refuses. Plus leaving a small girl with bunch of old people who can kick the can any second sounded like an aweful idea too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I had high hopes for Lee and Carly :P ...

Wasn't too pushed about the whole "romance", knew it was never going to be important.

But Ben was just down right annoying and a liability.
    He's like the other 2 hobbits in LOTR. They spend 90% of their time doing something stupid and endangering the rest of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I let Ben die. Little punk. Although I did feel a tiny bit bad when the fall didn't kill him and he got eaten alive.

The ending was brilliant, I made Clem shoot me, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Sent the voice actors of Kenny / Clem and a few others a message on FB after I completed the game , thanking them for a wonderful experience and congrats on their jobs well done.(someone posted their pages here or else on bone-idle.ie)

Danny wrote back today - actually wasn't looking for or expecting a response:P
    "Sean, pardon my delay in responding to your message. For some reason it just now appeared on my facebook, although it shows you sent it on the 21st. Ah technology. It can be a fragile thing. Thank you very much for sending along your compliments regarding the Walking Dead. It was a fine project to be associated with. I have made a career out of voicing the bad guys, and Danny St. John was a terrific addition to the resume'. There was indeed a full team involved in making the game the success it has become. Writers, directors, artists, all were brilliantly creative. This game is a wonderful example of what can be accomplished when that kind of talent gets together on the same project. Thanks again for taking the time to write. All my best to you. Brian"

Same with Kenny

Aw, thanks so much, that's really very kind of you.

I started playing the first episode a week or so ago and am already feeling that emotional tension. It's a huge honor to be in such a well-written and well-received game, and I'm flattered that you took the time to thank me for my small part in it!

Thanks!

Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I picked up The Walking Dead in the recent Steam sale.
    I've never seen the t.v. show, or read the comic, but, my short verdict is that I loved it.

Normally, I'm happy to wade into threads labelled "spoilers" after I've finished a game, but in this case, there's a bit of replayability being eaten away.
    On top of that, the weight of my decisions have a little bit of sheen taken away from them; as in some cases, it seems there's really only the illusion of choice.

The art style was a good choice I think. Telltale's engine still has some fairly clunky character animation though. I quite like Telltale, but a lot of the credit has to be handed to the scripts they were given to work with.

At this point, I'd like to once more make a plug for "To The Moon".
    There's literally zero story options / skills to be mastered / tension / zombies / violence / etc; but is also a really nice story, told in an interactive fashion. It was something like €3.00 in the recent Steam sales, so no excuses! (Plus, it's only about 4 hours long - I played it in one sitting.)

I don't mind getting spoilers for other peoples playthrough, as my playthrough is how i see the game. It's my game, so to speak. It's interesting seeing how other people went through the game.

And I'm not sure there's many choices i'd make differently, even knowing what happened later in the game. I was already really suspicious of the Dairy farmers, stand by my decision to save Ben (repeatedly), and even my choices of who to save (i.e Carly had a gun and was hot/Doug was kind of useless etc...). Other than that, i picked the choices that i think were best for Clem.

Cause she was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it. Wish I let Clem shoot me in the final scene. Think Im gonna start from episode one and play through with different choices. Excellent stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Is there a way to save Lilly from shooting Carley?

What happens with Lilly if you stick by her? I left her on the side of the road, shooting Carley in cold blood without knowing any of the facts was ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,191 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Is there a way to save Lilly from shooting Carley?
    Nope, can't stop her. She'll always shoot Carley. Or Doug, if you saved him. I think Doug's death is slightly different though, but it's Lilly that shoots him.
    What happens with Lilly if you stick by her? I left her on the side of the road, shooting Carley in cold blood without knowing any of the facts was ****!

If you bring Lilly with you, she steals the RV when you stop by the train. You don't see her again after that.

Lilly Shooting Carly was a massive shock for me. I still brought her with us, but let her go in the end. Should have killed the bitch :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

J. Marston wrote: »
    Nope, can't stop her. She'll always shoot Carley. Or Doug, if you saved him. I think Doug's death is slightly different though, but it's Lilly that shoots him.

If you bring Lilly with you, she steals the RV when you stop by the train. You don't see her again after that.

that's disappointing, I was hoping that if you agreed with Lilly about Ben which she was actually right about, Carley or Doug would survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭Corvo

Just finished this yesterday. Wow. I have never been as emotionally attached to a game as I have this one (though I hear Mass Effect is similar, which the trio of same are gathering dust on a shelf)

It's the only game I have come across that tests your own morals to the limit like that. Ok, your choices never really effect the game, but they do effect your outlook on Lee / You and course, other characters.

Also, how you can bring your own principles into this apocalyptic environment is a cracking achievement.

You feel you are really in a battle for survival and while you think you can sometimes make the right choice (as in, "this is what I believe I should do") they can sometimes have very adverse effects. This in turn of course, makes you even more wary in the future.

For instance, I found myself extremely protective of the group as a whole. I stood up for Kenny when it mattered (i.e. providing food for Duck, taking part in his death before turning and talking him down when driving the train) but was also protective of other members when it was obvious that Kenny would hurt them or threaten to tear the group in two.

I chose to save Doug, believing that Carley could escape as she had a gun. I found it was a terrible decision to have to make, afterwards realising that her abilities could save further casulties. It was a thought that would actually contain a tinge of guilt.

I saved Ben, believing that despite his mess-up's (as monumental as they were) that no-one should be left behind.

Same with Lily following the shooting of Doug. I brought her back to the RV. Dangerous I know, but she was unhinged following her fathers very violent death at the hands of Kenny (in my playthrough, I tried to save Larry) and I felt that she could someone, though it seemed impossible, redeem herself.

Ultimately, they let me and the group down in various ways following my kindness.

But the real clincher was the ending. The choice of words to Clementine nearly broke me. I told her to "always go for the gun" and to "keep her hair short". Strange I know, but I felt that it would help in her survival when Lee / I was gone. I was also broken over the fact that while she had only only bullet and may require it later, during her escape, that I didn't want to risk a turned Lee following her (just in case the handcuffs proved to be not sturdy enough). I had her shoot me in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

J. Marston wrote: »

Yeah, it is different. Lilly is accusing Ben of stealing the supplies and Doug is defending him. She tries to shoot Ben but Doug gets in the way.

A lot of people talk about getting to replay the game but I really don't want to do that. Along the way I kept choosing things that I thought were the right decision and I really don't regret any of them. If I was going back again I would just be arbitrarily choosing things I don't like and that would kind of spoil it for me.

Advertisement