Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clean tank and terrapins

Options
  • 22-11-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭

as terrapins get bigger. about 5-6 inch shells is it impossible to keep the tank clean for long without regular water changes.

have 2 filters but they get clogged fast. i feed them sticks because its much less messy.

anyone found solutions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

corkgsxr wrote: »
    as terrapins get bigger. about 5-6 inch shells is it impossible to keep the tank clean for long without regular water changes.

have 2 filters but they get clogged fast. i feed them sticks because its much less messy.

anyone found solutions

Hi,

What type of filter media are you using?

If it's all soft sponge, then it can be a pain as the whole sponge has to unblocked.

If its a more compartmentalised one, you can pull the media up, and only have to replace or clean the top rough layer.

Something like this might help: http://www.aquamania.co.uk/skin_default/templateimages/juwel-filter-media-guide.jpg

Handles on the inside so its quick to pull it up and rip out the top layer and stuff a new one in. Takes all of 30 seconds to do.
    You don't need to have bacterial function for a terrapin tank, so going for all sponge, with a rough layer on top would work well for you.

Hope this helps.

CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

what size is the tank , whats the filters you are using ,

an external filter is best suited for them . also you still have to part change the water every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I had the fluval 205 canister when I had terrapins and it kept the water spotless .. I didn't have gravel

Advertisement