Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Question about iPad with Retina Display

• 22-11-2012 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

When did the iPad with Retina Display become available in Ireland. I was looking at a Third Generation iPad 16GB for €599 a couple of months ago and when I went back onto the Apple website this morning the only options that were available were the iPad mini, iPad 2 and iPad with Retina Display for €639.

So basically, my question is:

Is the extra €40 for the Retina Display but it is basically the same iPad that I was looking at before?

Also, I went to look on argos.ie and even though they are sold out, they differentiate between the 16GB Third Generation for €599 and the 16GB iPad with Retina Display for €639 (calling it 4th generation)? - so now I'm confused as to whether the €639 version is a new model or an updated 3rd generation model....any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

"Is the extra €40 for the Retina Display but it is basically the same iPad that I was looking at before?"

Yes, http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/03/welcome-to-the-post-pc-era.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

"Is the extra €40 for the Retina Display but it is basically the same iPad that I was looking at before?"

Yes, http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/03/welcome-to-the-post-pc-era.html

Thank you for that 'rather on the long-side' article :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that guy is particularly hard to please, the fact that he bought two ipad 3's when they came out is a testament to how bloody good the screen is.

for the sake of 40 euro go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Is the extra €40 for the Retina Display but it is basically the same iPad that I was looking at before?

The iPad 3rd generation with Retina display was released in Ireland back in April. The starting price for 16GB wifi model was around €599

In the last month Apple have released the 4th generation iPad. Again it has the retina display, but also it has a faster processor, HD facetime camera and the new lightning connector. Apart from the connector, the 3rd and 4th gen are identical on the outside. They bumped up the price by €40.

So to answer your question, the extra €40 is for not for the retina display but for the other improvements, mostly the processor, and I suspect they have realigned the euro price a little as the value of the euro against the dollar has dropped around 10% since 2011

Apple have a 1 day sale tomorrow. I think they'll be offering about 10% off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The iPad 3rd generation with Retina display was released in Ireland back in April. The starting price for 16GB wifi model was around €599

It was €479 not around €599.

- - -

What has annoyed me lately is people in Compu B speaking to potential customers as if the 4th gen iPad is the first with Retina display to try and convince them to get the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Sorry, you're right. I'm at work and my head is fried :confused:

The points about the difference between 3rd generation and 4th still stand.

The ipad 3rd gen prices were:
    Wifi Only;
    16GB - €479
    32GB - €579
    64GB - €679

Wifi +4G;
    16GB - €599
    32GB - €699
    64GB - €799

and 4th gen
    Wifi Only;
    16GB - €509