Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most obnoxious conversation you've overheard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HunniBear

areyawell wrote: »
    Too many too mention but one that always stuck with me was a couple of dickheads on a bus all wearing suits around 30 to 40.

I was two seats in front of them. Conversation went like this.

Guy 1: Jesus we're like poor people now using a bus service. Better disinfect or burn these suits when we get off. Don't know what you could pick up. (All laughing).

Guy 2: What kind of a hotel has no parking facilities. I'm not leaving my Beamer in a dodgy car park. Hope no one sees us getting off.

Guy 1: Yea we shuda hiring a limo or private car and someone to drive us up.

Guy 3: Yere sitting beside each other. I have a free seat. What happens if someone wants to sit beside me. Don't want to sit beside an oul one or some little knacker.

Guy 1: Feck it, I'll ring my brother and he'll drive us up, give him 200 quid or sumtin. He has a crappy car. I'll let him drive my beamer.

Then they get off the bus and on there way. Was quite shocked that people can have this attitude. Big snoppy rich f**ks!
    To be fair, i'm a bit like this as well.

Not rich, but wouldn't be caught dead on a bus. It's for plebs and the great unwashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

TheStook wrote: »
    Jesus Christ. Slow clap for the parenting on that one..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

robbiezero wrote: »

Likewise, but the moral police are everywhere. There is not a thread on the Internet they don't cover.

I'm not being moral police, just wondering why one poster got called obnoxious and the other didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I heard an aul wan on the 46A telling her friend that the metro in Cologne is fully underground.

FFS EVERYONE knows that despite the name and like a number of European urban mass-transport systems, it is partially underground and partially overground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I heard an aul wan on the 46A telling her friend that the metro in Cologne is fully underground.

FFS EVERYONE knows that despite the name and like a number of European urban mass-transport systems, it is partially underground and partially overground.

Lack of knowledge about a city in another country is hardly 'obnoxious'.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HunniBear

miamee wrote: »

Dear lord. are all boards members this thick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

This...
    HunniBear wrote: »

wouldn't be caught dead on a bus. It's for plebs and the great unwashed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What was obnoxious was their ignorance about the basics of rail-based public transport, regardless of the country.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

HunniBear wrote: »
    Dear lord. are all boards members this thick?

Clearly everyone does not know this - I don't understand why you think everyone would? Am I missing something else here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Two cream crackers on the luas, talking about pets. One of them said he taught his cat not to come into the house...by kicking him so hard one day he broke his leg :mad: Hope he burns in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

padd b1975 wrote: »
    When mickey waving smug aethists get into full flow.

One can only be smug whilst waving one's 'mickey' if said 'mickey' is immoderately large. As a 'mickey waving' atheist I know this to be true.

Your envy is understandable, but don't blame atheists for your lack of endowment in this regard, blame your maker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

mirekb wrote: »
    I'm not being moral police, just wondering why one poster got called obnoxious and the other didn't

Wasn't talking about you. Talking about the people giving out about posters on a thread relaying overheard conversations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Overheard in the packed smoking room of a large electronics multi-national on the Tuesday night (19.45, before the start of the night shift) after a bank holiday weekend circa 1998. A conversation between two 40-something women:
    Woman 1: Well Mary, how did the weekend go, did you do anything exciting?
    Woman 2: I'll tell you now Jacinta, my c*nt is red raw after the weekend! I don't know what came over Johnny but he spent the whole weekend riding the hole off me - I'm fu*king EXHAUSTED after it! I can't even fu*king walk straight after him - dry-riding me and all, he was, the dirty bast*rd!
    At that stage, I made my excuses and left. Please note that the names have been changed to protect the identities of the ladies and gent involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Was on a booze hunting trip in Liverpool, anyways days of that were over and we were coming home... half dead and never to eat in mcdonalds or drink carlsberg again

On the bus home from the airport, 5 of us from liverpool and 2 gay guys behind me, only people on the bus and they sit behind me and start talking about what they were going to do to each other and shifting the faces off each other

I dont have a peoplem with gay people, I have a problem with any couple who start that

it makes me sick!

**I was going to edit this but the way i spelled problem is hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What were they going to do to each other? I'm interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

When I was working in SanFrancisco some years ago, myself and my mate if we were on a bus would have loud conversations about all our kids back home in Ireland, and that we never saw them anymore and instead spent all our money on booze.....

Used to get all these looks of shock and horror from the upstanding liberal citizens around us.....

Thought it was funny at the time; think I was being a d**khead now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Two cream crackers on the luas, talking about pets. One of them said he taught his cat not to come into the house...by kicking him so hard one day he broke his leg :mad: Hope he burns in hell.
    I actually thought that was shaping up to be a joke, my god!!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

mirekb wrote: »
    How come this was not ok to say

But this was?

They're both ok to say in my opinion. Free speech and all that and the people in both stories seem to have an inflated sense of privilege and no manners or style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

I once had a guy say to me:

OMG you watch soccer? That's such a scobie sport!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

buck65 wrote: »
    What were they going to do to each other? I'm interested...

the buck rodgers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I once had a guy say to me:

OMG you watch soccer? That's such a scobie sport!
    Don't get me started on things people have said to me....:D (worked in a bar for years! )

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

In a certain 'southside university' which has been mentioned previously on the thread. I wanted to go for a nice, quiet, relaxing sauna. There were a group of students in there, prob aged 20ish. Now before I begin I'm only mid-late twenties myself but I had to leave listening to this s***e:

D4 Girl: "I mean last night was sooooo mental, there was glitter, loike, everywhere"
    D4 Friend: "We are so crazy. The generation before us thought they were crazy but we take it to a whole new level"
    D4 Girl "Ya we are way more crazy than the last generation"

This went on for 15mins. At 10pm on a Thursday night as they sat in a Sauna. They sure are party animals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Was on a tour of the great Ocean road with a group of about 30 people.

There was one Ozzie kid, about 16, with his ma on the tour. The minute i heard his voice I knew it was going to be a rough journey. He had one of those bratty, camp, bitchy, high pitched, attention seeking voices that just run through your head.

First thing he did was to close over the curtains - we were on a tour of one of the best coastlines in the world ffs!! He then turned up his ipod (Britney for the record) as loud as possible so everyone could hear it and then decided he should sing along.

His ma had literally no control, he eventually opened the curtains and told his ma that she looked like one of the cows in a field and actually said 'You're a big fat cow mum'. There was also a kid with Down Syndrome on the bus and this little sh*t started taking the piss out of him asking does he have any clue whats going on and what's the point of him going on the tour.

I could have thrown the pr1ck out the window. Writing this post has actually got me pissed off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 curlygirly

today i heard a woman say " get out of there you stupid (c word). what the !@#$ are you doing? you dumb twat, sometimes i dont know where you came from." i thought she was on the phone, but turned to see her talking to her kid. she continued " you're !@#$ing stupid for a 2 year old"

i wanted to cry. i wouldve told her she's a horrible mother but... didnt wanna get punched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

This obnoxious girl from town got her picture taken in a local nightclub one night for a Facebook competition & whoever had the most amount of likes won a bottle of champagne. Anyway after a week of begging everyone on Facebook to like her photo, she won the bottle of champagne. Literally everyone got a private message begging them for help.

The next week she got the champagne in the nightclub & I got cornered with the bitch at the bar. Obviously forgetting she was friends with me on Facebook she proceeded to say "it's hard being so popular, the guy said I had a record number of likes. Obviously being in the social elite in town people just want people like me to succeed". Words failed me, I just took my drink & left quietly. She has the most inflamed ego I have ever seen, I don't know why though she looks like a pig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Not so much a conversation I overhead but a conversation I was involved in.

The first time I met my mother in law, she asked:

"Who are you and What are you?" :rolleyes::mad::mad::mad:

From now on this question should be answered as follows

" I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Obviously drop the '...just like you.' when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    I heard someone say before that people with disabilities shouldn't be given jobs as they are incompetent. :-\

I also overheard a guy in the pub in college talking rather loudly about how anyone drawing the dole shouldn't be allowed to vote. His argument was that the unemployed are stupid and they wouldn't understand the politics at play. That infuriated me so much that I turned around and pointed out that he was the ignorant one.

substitute 'most people in this country' for 'unemployed' and he's not far wrong. most people, including myself, are not politically aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Ah, I have a few more gems. Son goes to a great school, but some of the parents are, quite frankly awful. (I've overheard blazing rows with the car window open, a man calling his wife a 'stupid tart' in public, etc., and I don't do most of the collections)

Anyhoos, one mother has a 6-year-old girl with her who's getting a bit on the lippy side. You might tell the kid to be quiet. If you're annoyed, you might tell the child to shut up. Her response? "Shut your hole, you poxy b*tch."

Mrs Geeker also heardr parent happily telling her friends how she threatened to "slash the face off" another woman if she "looked at her man again."

Mrs Geeky has barely exchanged two words with these parents, but they've taken a dislike to her - apparently because she dresses herself rather than crawling still-pissed out of bed in her PJs. When she was going to the gate one morning, she heard one of the parents say loudly "here comes posh spice."

Lovely people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

pbowenroe wrote: »
    substitute 'most people in this country' for 'unemployed' and he's not far wrong. most people, including myself, are not politically aware.

Not being politically aware and being called stupid are a bit different :)

geeky wrote: »
    Ah, I have a few more gems. Son goes to a great school, but some of the parents are, quite frankly awful. (I've overheard blazing rows with the car window open, a man calling his wife a 'stupid tart' in public, etc., and I don't do most of the collections)

Anyhoos, one mother has a 6-year-old girl with her who's getting a bit on the lippy side. You might tell the kid to be quiet. If you're annoyed, you might tell the child to shut up. Her response? "Shut your hole, you poxy b*tch."

Mrs Geeker also heardr parent happily telling her friends how she threatened to "slash the face off" another woman if she "looked at her man again."

Mrs Geeky has barely exchanged two words with these parents, but they've taken a dislike to her - apparently because she dresses herself rather than crawling still-pissed out of bed in her PJs. When she was going to the gate one morning, she heard one of the parents say loudly "here comes posh spice."

Lovely people.

Ha ha ha that's it im taking down all this and writing a sitcom...this is absolute gold :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

On the luas one day, some ar*ewipe boasting to the girl beside him that the neighbours cat kept coming into the garden or something and he kicked it so hard he broke it's leg. I nearly got sick in my mouth hearing it, and just thought, why have people like you not been bred out yet? Horrible, scaldy string bean skanger of a yoke with a can of cider and the intelligence of a pea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I hate - no, despise - people who pretend to know everything and comment upon it as if they're the world's foremost authority. If you don't know about something, how can you have informed opinion on it?

Speculating is fine in personal discussion, I mean we all do it, even with a couple of "oh maybe's" thrown in the OP's overheard conversation might be accepted as idle chin-wagging. But don't attempt to dictate how things should be if you don't know the first thing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I was on the bus headin' into town with a mate and we were upstairs and sort of near the back. So we cop there's a junkie on the seats at the very back. He was in a bad way, face was all swollen and he was coughing and spittin' blood on the floor.

He had the dozy eyes and junkie drawl sort of speech and for some reason he took a shine to my mate.

Junkie: Sorry bud, sorry, can ya do me a favour, can ya read that for me?

Hands my mate a letter.

Junkie: I can't read man.

Mate: Yeah okay.

Starts reading it.

Mate: It says you're after missin' a court date.

Junkie: Whaaaaa.....? *incoherent mumbling*.........ah bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I once heard an Irish guy on a train in the UK call the ticket inspector a 'black bastard', because he had asked him to move from the 1st class carriage.
    Don't know how the inspector guy was able to keep his cool - I probably would have decked him in similar circumstances.

After the ticket inspector had left, the guy was sitting in a seat accross the aisle from me. Without the slighest bit of irony he turned to me and said "All this first class/second class bull****, we're all the same".

Probably should have told him that luckily, we're not.
    But I just went back to my book and decided I'd pretend I didnt speak English if he tried to talk to me again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I had to listen to an awful conversation on the way home on a bus one day. There were three teenagers, two girls and a boy. I'd say about 14. I would describe them as D4 heads except that this was not in Ireland. From where the bus was going they would have been from quite an affluent area.

They spent the first 15 minutes talking about who gave head to who and all the other sexual acts they were partaking in. The boy was saying he dumped his girlfriend because she gave head to two different guys in one night. People around them were just staring at them with their mouths open, they didn't seem aware they were on a packed single decker bus talking at the top of their voices. One passenger said "well, I'll be needing these" and pulled out his headphones really ostentatiously, didn't seem to bother them.

After this awful conversation concluded they noticed there was another girl standing in the doorway who must have gone to school with them. They started verbally bullying her in front of everyone on the bus, saying really awful things and then pretending they were her friend and asking her to sit with them - then ripped the piss out of her for the rest of the journey.

It was horrible, little ****tards :( If they'd been in a school uniform I would have been one of those old biddies who complained to their school but sadly they weren't!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Sitting in the Intensive Care waiting room with several other familes, most with their heads in their hands, crying and waiting for news of their loved ones. One family started a loud, obnoxious conversation about where to go for dinner tonight, where could one buy a decent bottle of wine in the city, and what dresses they'd just gotten online.

Most insensitive group of people I've ever met. While a member of their family was fighting for their life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I was in River Island at Xmas getting a pressie for my friend, there was a teenage girl standing at the handbags where I was also standing and she was there with her parents.
    Real posh girl with the whole 'roish' accent and she was picking out her birthday present from what I could hear.

Her mam and dad looked fed up and p*ssed off and her mam says "what about this one love" shows her a handbag and then little miss spoiled says 'EW MUM! That's only 30 euros??"
    Mam says "well Xmas is coming up you know so we can't be getting you something really pricey"
    Daughter responds: "UGH FOR GOD SAKE MUM, I want a bag for over 50 or its not even worth my time, HUH what did you even bring me here for if that's all you're going to get me??"

I wanted to smack that b*tch... Spoiled rotten with only her parents to blame..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Ush1 wrote: »
    My mate was living in Cologne where there is a large population of Turkish immigrants.

Alot of the younger lads, how do I put it, would be of similar ilk to C.Ronaldo with how they would dress and carry themselves.

So my mate is on the subway and two Turkish young fellas get on and hear my mate on the phone talking in English and assume he can't understand German but he can hear them talking and understands fine..

"Hey, should we jump on that guy there and rob him"
    "I don't know, I think he's English."
    "You're right, the English can fight, better not."
    "They've got no style though."

And with that they got off, my mate chuckling to himself.

Talking on his phone on the subway? How did he get a signal?

I smell some bs.

pajunior wrote: »
    Talking on his phone on the subway? How did he get a signal?

I smell some bs.

Yes. From a cell tower I'd imagine.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yes. From a cell tower I'd imagine.

Underground? I've never gotten a signal in London's tube system. Is Cologne different somehow?

• Advertisement

Underground? I've never gotten a signal in London's tube system. Is Cologne different somehow?

Dunno, I know some sections aren't underground though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

In several aspects.
    The London underground was built by drilling tunnels underground throughout the city, most of German subways were build by digging up the ground along existing roads and then roofing it up. As a consequence, the London underground will in many parts be very much deeper down than German subways usually are.
    I think the New York subway was built in a similar way - just picture the difference in depth by comparing the endless escalators on the London underground to the fairly short staircases on the New York one.

Plus, particularly in Cologne, the subway is only underground in the city centre itself. Further out, it's nearly all above ground.

Does that help? ;)

Why thank you, your knowledge of different undergound systems is quite helpfull. I've only ever been on the one's in London, Paris and Vienna which all seemed pretty deep but London was definitely the deepest.

Why thank you, your knowledge of different undergound systems is quite helpfull. I've only ever been on the one's in London, Paris and Vienna which all seemed pretty deep but London was definitely the deepest.

I suspect I'm watching too many Discovery Channel documentations for my own good. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

"My daddy is the highest earning partner in KPMG"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I remember the day after Obama got voted in the first time, I was on a train and overheard a black woman (not American) on the train, she was on her mobile phone talking to somebody

"Great news Obama won, great to have a president of america who is black.
    This'll stick it to the whites. Make no mistake, the whites won't like this, they'll try to kill him, that's their way. They'll come looking for revenge so he'll have to be careful.
    This'll put the whites in their place...we need to support all the blacks."

and she went on like that for a good while, before calling some other friends and repeating the same general conversation.
    Couldn't believe some people were so fixated with skin colour.
    Quite disturbing actually. Does she not even know that Obama is one half white?

I remember the day after Obama got voted in the first time, I was on a train and overheard a black woman (not American) on the train, she was on her mobile phone talking to somebody

"Great news Obama won, great to have a president of america who is black.
    This'll stick it to the whites. Make no mistake, the whites won't like this, they'll try to kill him, that's their way. They'll come looking for revenge so he'll have to be careful.
    This'll put the whites in their place...we need to support all the blacks."

and she went on like that for a good while, before calling some other friends and repeating the same general conversation.
    Couldn't believe some people were so fixated with skin colour.
    Quite disturbing actually. Does she not even know that Obama is one half white?

:eek:
    I never noticed that... must be his bottom half that's white

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

At a gathering of philanthropic corporations in the US, I overheard three officers of different groups, trying to outdo each other on what was the furthest they had flown in a 24 hour period, and if they had managed to fit in some sightseeing?
    I had to walk away after one spoke about flying to Cairo for a conference on poverty in the developing world, and how she had cut short her attendance so as to go visit the pyramids before she headed back to the airport.
    Talk about commitment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

That's true, but even london's tube has bits which are overground - the Piccadilly and central lines, in part, are definitely overground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I had to listen to an awful conversation on the way home on a bus one day. There were three teenagers, two girls and a boy. I'd say about 14. I would describe them as D4 heads except that this was not in Ireland. From where the bus was going they would have been from quite an affluent area.

They spent the first 15 minutes talking about who gave head to who and all the other sexual acts they were partaking in. The boy was saying he dumped his girlfriend because she gave head to two different guys in one night. People around them were just staring at them with their mouths open, they didn't seem aware they were on a packed single decker bus talking at the top of their voices. One passenger said "well, I'll be needing these" and pulled out his headphones really ostentatiously, didn't seem to bother them.

After this awful conversation concluded they noticed there was another girl standing in the doorway who must have gone to school with them. They started verbally bullying her in front of everyone on the bus, saying really awful things and then pretending they were her friend and asking her to sit with them - then ripped the piss out of her for the rest of the journey.

It was horrible, little ****tards :( If they'd been in a school uniform I would have been one of those old biddies who complained to their school but sadly they weren't!

Yeah - but were the girls cute?

Advertisement