Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most obnoxious conversation you've overheard?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

About 3 years ago my nanny got on winning streak after sending in her tickets for years god love her shes 85 so when we were recording it in rte she was the oldest on it before we went in i overheard in the toilet family of an other contestant saying i hope that old dublin woman doesnt win loads i dont know why they said this but i was delighted for all of the people on disgusting how some people think! Well she got 31,000 in the end we were delighted for her :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I remember the day after Obama got voted in the first time, I was on a train and overheard a black woman (not American) on the train, she was on her mobile phone talking to somebody

"Great news Obama won, great to have a president of america who is black.
    This'll stick it to the whites. Make no mistake, the whites won't like this, they'll try to kill him, that's their way. They'll come looking for revenge so he'll have to be careful.
    This'll put the whites in their place...we need to support all the blacks."

and she went on like that for a good while, before calling some other friends and repeating the same general conversation.
    Couldn't believe some people were so fixated with skin colour.
    Quite disturbing actually. Does she not even know that Obama is one half white?

Reminds me of that skit with Chris Rock going around New York asking black kids if they wanted to be like Tiger Woods and they were all excited and saying yeah, and trying golf.

He then asked some Asians an they were like, Tiger Woods? He's just some black guy. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

hollster2 wrote: »
    About 3 years ago my nanny got on winning streak after sending in her tickets for years god love her shes 85 so when we were recording it in rte she was the oldest on it before we went in i overheard in the toilet family of an other contestant saying i hope that old dublin woman doesnt win loads i dont know why they said this but i was delighted for all of the people on disgusting how some people think! Well she got 31,000 in the end we were delighted for her :)

Was Geri Maye presenting? She's usually a good bet to say something obnoxious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

UCDVet wrote: »
    Yeah - but were the girls cute?

Not sure what you're in to but 14 year old girls aren't really my thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Heroditas wrote: »
    Was Geri Maye presenting? She's usually a good bet to say something obnoxious.

No was laura wood big money game it was sorry lol was horrible cruel bitches they were

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Not sure what you're in to but 14 year old girls aren't really my thing.

I'm 14.

I'm 14.

Well then, work away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Not so much obnoxious, but I once overheard a Polish colleague on the phone trying to buy car insurance off a Pakistani salesman. It was very funny as neither of them could understand what the other one was saying. A real clash of accents. The Polish guy ended up getting angry and started swearing on the phone. This was in the canteen. I don't think he realised he had it on loud speaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I'm 14.

Your'e not 14 but you are some class of a pervert. Like cute 14 yr old girls do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

hollster2 wrote: »

It's probably because some people stereotype older people as having plenty of money anyway and therefore wouldn't need the prize winnings as much as a younger person.

Anyway feck them, fair play to your granny!

• Advertisement

youtube! wrote: »
    Your'e not 14 but you are some class of a pervert. Like cute 14 yr old girls do you?

All vets from UCD are 14, didn't you know?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    On the luas one day, some ar*ewipe boasting to the girl beside him that the neighbours cat kept coming into the garden or something and he kicked it so hard he broke it's leg. I nearly got sick in my mouth hearing it, and just thought, why have people like you not been bred out yet? Horrible, scaldy string bean skanger of a yoke with a can of cider and the intelligence of a pea.

What an absolute piece of shít, hopefully he gets his leg broken someday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A guy in the pub one day was telling people he was in the Irish Rangers.
    He was also blowing sh*t about how much he could drink.
    I know lots of people say they can drink a lot but this was the first time I ever saw someone projectile vomit.
    It travelled a distance of about 7 or 8 feet and it looked like it was being blown out of a Wavin pipe.
    Would have felt sorry for him if he didn't tell everyone he would drink them under the table!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Turfcutter

How so Joe wrote: »
    That's true, but even london's tube has bits which are overground - the Piccadilly and central lines, in part, are definitely overground.

Most of London's tube network is overground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

harney wrote: »
    No idea about Germany, but in Madrid you get phone reception on the metro underground.

You do? Two years of nearly 15+ hours a week travelling on it (English classes) says otherwise. Maybe you mean the light rail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Probably not the most obnoxious, but one that springs to mind is a neighbour's boastful, and ultimately untruthful ramblings when we first moved to where we live.

He introduced himself to me, and made sure I knew that he 'didn't really live here'. Oh no, he had 'property all over Dublin in prime locations', he claimed, and as soon as the lease was up in the nicest one, they'd be turfing the renters out and moving in.

He finished off with a 'nice to meet you, but we won't be neighbours for long'.

Fast forward 5 and a half years, and they are still here. I've since heard he is a regular Walter Mitty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I was queuing for an atm a few weeks ago and there were two atms, one at the normal height and the another lower down.

So one lad was complaining about how stupid & inconvenient it was to place the atm so low down (he sounded genuinely vexed about it) and going on about how people weren't even that short.

In the queue in front of me (and just two people behind him) there was a woman in a wheel chair. I don't think he ever noticed.

**My other story is actually something that happened to my friend. He was on a bus (in Dublin I think) and he and his friend were speaking Irish to each other (they grew up in a gaeltacht). So they were chatting away while the lad in front of them turned to the guy beside him saying "You think those foreigners would learn English"...:rolleyes:

He said it happens all the time! Obvious racism aside, it wasn't a foreign language! I can't string together a sentence in Irish myself but I know it when I hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What an absolute piece of shít, hopefully he gets his leg broken someday.

By a vengeful cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

last week was sitting near two fancy 'ladies who lunch' types. One kept on calling her car 'the merc' throughout the conversation. 'Decided to leave the merc at home and get a bit of exercise instead'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

MrsD007 wrote: »
    The most obnoxious conversation you've overheard?

Former FF TD for Mayo, Pee Flynn talking to Gay Byrne on the Late Late Show back in 1999.

"I want to tell you about it, I earn approximately €140,000 a year with expenses, I pay 30.3% tax on that so
    I want to tell you something, try it sometime, when you have a couple of cars and three houses and a few housekeepers and I want to tell you ..... it aint easy, you should try it sometime".

He really was shameless!

http://youtu.be/9ORNfD8e_sk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 EmmyOk

I work part-time in a medium size Centra, so the odd time I hear something quite obnoxious from a customer. The most recent one I can remember is;

Woman: How often do you get fresh bread in?
    Me: Every day.
    Woman: That's just not good enough.
    Me:Right, ok then.

She looked like she wanted a row but I just smiled and was as pleasant as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I recently had someone state in conversation to me "I couldn't date a commoner"

I said in reply! Well its far from "posh I was reared! I'm as common as they come do you want to continue this conversation" in my mind I couldn't help but think you fcuken eejit, you ignorant fcuk! (reared in a ehhhh without sounding like a total eejit North Dublin, had a child at 15, lived on benefits, continued to break up a marriage blah blah blah)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

EmmyOk wrote: »
    I work part-time in a medium size Centra, so the odd time I hear something quite obnoxious from a customer. The most recent one I can remember is;

Woman: How often do you get fresh bread in?
    Me: Every day?
    Woman: That's just not good enough.
    Me:Right, ok then.

She looked like she wanted a row but I just smiled and was as pleasant as possible.

Should of smacked her in the head with a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

rabble, rabble, rabble...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

IrishExpat wrote: »
    You do? Two years of nearly 15+ hours a week travelling on it (English classes) says otherwise. Maybe you mean the light rail?

Yep. There's reception on the Metro now. Not all lines but many lines. I often text and get phone calls on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My MIL on the phone to a friend after her niece gave birth to twins "I don't know why they are so pleased, they're not real babies, they were from IVF" Not that the multiple birth thing was normal, but because of how they were conceived, the children themselves are not normal, like they are robots or something!

She has some humdingers all right, I will have to think of more through the day.

Should of smacked her in the head with a roll.

Would have been fairly fresh, too soft then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    My MIL on the phone to a friend after her niece gave birth to twins "I don't know why they are so pleased, they're not real babies, they were from IVF" Not that the multiple birth thing was normal, but because of how they were conceived, the children themselves are not normal, like they are robots or something!

She has some humdingers all right, I will have to think of more through the day.

What are they, imaginary babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

That has to be the winner!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

IrishExpat wrote: »

Line 2, underground in the tunnels on the way to visit my girlfriends family and had I phone and internet access. Apparently it doesn't work in all areas, but I assume that it will be extended where possible.

This is the closest I can find to a link on it without expending effort. It seems to imply it was only in the stations, but it was working in the tunnels too.

http://www.turismomadrid.es/en/keep-in-touch
    The Community of Madrid has mobile coverage in the whole region, even, you can use your cell phone in the underground. Metro de Madrid has 125 stations, in which you can talk and send messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

harney wrote: »
    Line 2, underground in the tunnels on the way to visit my girlfriends family and had I phone and internet access. Apparently it doesn't work in all areas, but I assume that it will be extended where possible.

This is the closest I can find to a link on it without expending effort. It seems to imply it was only in the stations, but it was working in the tunnels too.

http://www.turismomadrid.es/en/keep-in-touch

And line 10. And parts of line 3. Works for most of the lines I travel on (which include line 2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

"Ireland is so quaint, they don't even have internet access underground"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

overheard this conversation in college lately. 2 dublin girls talking. one of them was on about her brothers new car, and showing pictures of it to her friend(why would you have a picture of your brothers car on your phone?) then says dad better buy me a car soon, i said to him why dont you just insure me on your car? he was like im not insuring you on a 5 series:P you could tell the other girl was thinking oh wow you have a 5 series bmw, great.i was cringing for her.

Hollowed out baguette with a lead pipe slid inside ;)
    A favourite inconspicuous weapon of French gangsters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Good few years back, about 2003. Was in Secondary School, sixth year. Was taking a school trip to somewhere, on the back of the bus. In traffic, and this ambulance is going by us, sirens blaring. We were sitting high up in the bus so we could see into the windows (normally they are tinted or you can't see over a point) and an elder couple are in there. Woman is on the trolley, man is beside her, looking very upset. Obviously the woman was dying, I looked away then, I didn't want to intrude or see anymore.

This head in the seat behind us who was a major local GAA star but one of the stupidiest people I've ever met pipes up "ah look at the aul pair panning in the back ha ha!" and knocks the window at them trying to get their attention. I never forgot that. Unreal. They easily could have been our parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

A few years ago, as the recession started, i was working in a call centre. We were a bit worried our jobs might be outsourced. One day a guy responded with
    "they'll never outsource our jobs. No-one wants to talk to a fcukning paki"

Strangly enough, 6 weeks later we were all let go when the company cut the contract with our employers (we were outsourcers) and the jobs were outsourced to the far east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Not something I heard, more something I observed in a pub many years ago.

I'm not into football but the mates are so I decided to join them one Sunday afternoon down the local. The pub wasn't that busy. There was one overweight middle aged guy perched up at the bar. He looked over at us and with a smug smile, he lifted one of his arse cheeks up and started to fart quite long and loudly.

His face turned into a "shocked" look mid way and brown/ black liquid started to run off the bar stool from the "chod bin" area of his kacks. He ran off to the toilet.

I started to gag with the smell, I'll never forget it. Obnoxious pig.

Grayson wrote: »
    A few years ago, as the recession started, i was working in a call centre. We were a bit worried our jobs might be outsourced. One day a guy responded with
    "they'll never outsource our jobs. No-one wants to talk to a fcukning paki"

Strangly enough, 6 weeks later we were all let go when the company cut the contract with our employers (we were outsourcers) and the jobs were outsourced to the far east.

It wasn't three you worked for by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Was on the train a while back and one rough woman was having an argument on the phone with the social....the school was kicking the son out of school as the payments never came through.
    When she put the phone down she continued her conversation

"I can only afford 3 holidays this year....Im going to Miami, Mexico and Dubai."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I wrote this before in another thread, and just copied and pasted it. But it still stands out as the most obnoxious episode I ever witnessed first hand:

Yesterday, I went into a cafe in town. Its a fairly basic place, there is another cafe right beside it, and the courthouse is only a stonesthrow away.

Anyway, three solicitors came in, obviously just out of the courthouse, all dressed in suits, 2 lads and a woman. Over the next half hour, I witnessed the rudest, snobbiest, most ignorant behaviour I had seen in a long time. By the time I was leaving, I felt ashmed for those people.

The first lad waited until the waiter was coming over with menus, then purposely said out loud, "I've no problem with this place, but the problem is they're SO SLOW! Thats why everybody goes next door". You could visibly see the shock on the waiters face. The owner heard it too, she was not impressed.

Anyway, when yerman came back to take their order, all three of them started barking out what they wanted all at the same time. No waiting your turn with these knobs. The waiter was obviously flustered, and had to ask them to repeat their orders. When he had it all down, one lad said "and be as quick as you can please", as if they were going to get served faster than anyone else. I couldnt believe it. The whole place could hear all this too.

The next thing was their food arrived. From then on, it was "get me some mustard", and "another cappachino", and other such sh1te being barked up at the counter from where they were sitting. I mean, they didnt even stand up and walk to the counter to ask quietly. One lad then tried to convince another lad to have more coffee, the second lad declined. First lad said "go on, sure yerman (loser in court) is paying for it" - que some sniggers and sneers from all three of them. It was unbelievable.

All I can say is fair play to the staff and owner, they took it with grace and dignity, and were far more respectful than these pigs. The staff and owners are not Irish, and I really hope this didnt colour their opinion of my country. I was wearing my working clothes, covered in cement and cowsh1t. But when I stood up to leave, I was glad to be
    visibly not associated with these people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Nah, make sure it's stale and hard to make a point.
    " Roll with it, mutha****a!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Chop Chop wrote: »
    It wasn't three you worked for by any chance?

Nah. It was a different Outsource company that doesn't operate in ireland anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭IrishExpat

Yep. There's reception on the Metro now. Not all lines but many lines. I often text and get phone calls on it.

Ah, another Irish in Madrid.

Coffee? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Used to work in the K Club during the Ryder Cup. Gerry Gannon (used to own half of it) was there, wearing a hat at dinner. About ten people at his table, all D4/business types. Someone gave a toast, saying Gerry had done "great things for Ireland". Well, now Ireland (and NAMA) has done great things for Gerry, and Mrs Gannon now has an untouchable portfolio of about 12 million euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

goose2005 wrote: »
    Used to work in the K Club during the Ryder Cup. Gerry Gannon (used to own half of it) was there, wearing a hat at dinner. About ten people at his table, all D4/business types. Someone gave a toast, saying Gerry had done "great things for Ireland". Well, now Ireland (and NAMA) has done great things for Gerry, and Mrs Gannon now has an untouchable portfolio of about 12 million euros.

I thought the story was gonna go that the d4 types were going to rip the piss out of him for wearing his hat at the dinner table.:D

The same woman as earlier, my MIL again. She doesn't like a particular family member for a reason that is laughable as it has nothing to do with her. Their son had a little boy who has Down Syndrome. And she came on the phone to me to tell me "that's what X gets now for her actions!" I just hung up the phone in shock, something nobody has control over, and that would mean a harder life for someone who never wronged anyone, and she was gloating because she didn't like the child's grandmother and she saw it as karma!

The same woman as earlier, my MIL again. She doesn't like a particular family member for a reason that is laughable as it has nothing to do with her. Their son had a little boy who has Down Syndrome. And she came on the phone to me to tell me "that's what X gets now for her actions!" I just hung up the phone in shock, something nobody has control over, and that would mean a harder life for someone who never wronged anyone, and she was gloating because she didn't like the child's grandmother and she saw it as karma!

She sounds like quite the bitch.

Jesus.!?! She sounds like a bitch!?

Give us a few more stories, they're quite tasty.... Mmmmmmm

She sounds like quite the bitch.
    Chop Chop wrote: »
    Jesus.!?! She sounds like a bitch!?

Give us a few more stories, they're quite tasty.... Mmmmmmm

There are so many things that come out of her mouth. some hilarious EG she had a Polish guy cutting her lawn, only after him did she notice the hundreds of daisies that were there with years, but sure "those Polish brought those daisies" But some are so horrific.

"That they may be struck dead" is a common one, usually for someone getting to the reduced flowers in Tesco ahead of her or other such generally harmless things, to calling her grandson a bastard because his father and I are not married.

calling her grandson a bastard because his father and I are not married.

Fúcking he'll!!!???? Moar please...

• Advertisement
Advertisement