Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most obnoxious conversation you've overheard?

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    To be fair, people dont mean bad.....most of the time they feel they have to say something and they dont know what to say.

Having said that, it would be nice if in that sort of situation, the speaker might have a quick think beforehand.......

I remember a really good line from the King and I, when Anna said, "Your majesty, I dont know what to say" and he said, "when one does not know what to say...it is a time to be silent".

My mum had two miscarriages and told me that after, people used to say things like "ah sure it was nature just doing it's job..sure you dont know what it might have been" :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Apanachi wrote: »
    Just remembered a story about this fella I know (let's call him Liam).

Liam has an adopted black child, some guy in the pub was going on about he would never let one of "those things" into his house and basically spouting obnoxious, racist tripe (he knew Liam man had a black child), anyway Liam was so p*ssed off that he just decked him one.

So, Liam gets a court summons for assaulting the guy in the pub, the judge ask him to explain what happened and why Liam assaulted him. Liam explains, and the judge turned bright red with rage, fined the guy for his racist comments and bound him over to keep the peace (turned out the judge had a black foster child ;) )

So the Judge just believed the guys story without hearing any corroborating evidence and despite the fact that the other guy wasn't even up before him on any formal charges?

hmmmm......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So the Judge just believed the guys story without hearing any corroborating evidence and despite the fact that the other guy wasn't even up before him on any formal charges?

hmmmm......

And convicted person B at person A's trial??? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

hmmmm......
    You can "hmmmm" all you like...

...there had been witness statements taken so there was evidence (and the guy actually admitted to have said what he said and repeated something similar in court in front of the judge

This happened a long time ago, so I can't really remeber if there was a second trial where the other guy got convicted, but I know for a fact that the outcome was that the guy got fined and bound over to keep the peace (it was a small village, people talk...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I have only been smoking cigars for a year. Even at that its only one or two every 3 months or so. I also love my whiskey and would consider myself quite knowledgeable on it. However trying to find like-minded individuals and get regular get togethers going is quite frustrating. I know the guys at cigar.ie go every now and then to McGrattan. None of my mate smoke cigars, and you know what its like yourself, you don’t want to destroy a great cigar by standing out in the cold and trying to burn it down in 10 mins to keep pace with your mates. Am I missing something here or are there cigar clubs/societies that I can go to?

The second one, Ziliphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Catkins407 wrote: »
    Wasn't something I overheard but rather something that was said to me.

My son was diagnosed with Down Syndrome immediately after birth. My sister arrives over to the hospital no pressies or cards for baby . Sat there telling I could get plastic surgery done on him when he got to about 5 to remove his features that were as a result if his Down syndrome.

Sister in law was equally delightful. She told me she was so angry as I never got the chance to abort him over Irish abortion laws.

Bearing in mind that this was FAMILY I wasn't too upset by the time I was stopped by two acquaintances in the supermarket and said oh look he smiles just like a real baby !!! That is exactly what she said. I **** you not.

When your child is first diagnosed with a disability you are distraught and generally could do with some kind words.

Can't think these days why I betrayed my son by being upset at all though at his diagnosis. Mostly he is a typical grumpy not wanting to go to school teenager lol.

that is just disgusting.if that was my child i would have knocked that woman out.some people are just unbelievable...how dare she say something like that.the woman must be a bit soft in the head or away with the fairys

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

I have only been smoking cigars for a year. Even at that its only one or two every 3 months or so. I also love my whiskey and would consider myself quite knowledgeable on it. However trying to find like-minded individuals and get regular get togethers going is quite frustrating. I know the guys at cigar.ie go every now and then to McGrattan. None of my mate smoke cigars, and you know what its like yourself, you don’t want to destroy a great cigar by standing out in the cold and trying to burn it down in 10 mins to keep pace with your mates. Am I missing something here or are there cigar clubs/societies that I can go to?
    summerskin wrote: »
    Hope you're quoting someone's comment, otherwise you just came up with your own contribution...

hang on, what's obnoxious about this? lad just want's to share a cigar and a whiskey with other people who like cigars and whiskey. dull hobby maybe, but not exactly obnoxious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Apanachi wrote: »
    You can "hmmmm" all you like...

...there had been witness statements taken so there was evidence (and the guy actually admitted to have said what he said and repeated something similar in court in front of the judge

This happened a long time ago, so I can't really remeber if there was a second trial where the other guy got convicted, but I know for a fact that the outcome was that the guy got fined and bound over to keep the peace (it was a small village, people talk...)
    Cool story but it's got urban myth written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Well, I was up in Dublin and after a night out we headed to a place for a slice of Pizza, only to be subjected to a young lady ranting on about some sort of professional services company, KPMG I think it was.

Banging on and on about her old man working there, think he was a receptionist or something? Not sure. Very obnoxious. Ruined the whole meal if I was to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

murphym7 wrote: »
    Well, I was up in Dublin and after a night out we headed to a place for a slice of Pizza, only to be subjected to a young lady ranting on about some sort of professional services company, KPMG I think it was.

Banging on and on about her old man working there, think he was a receptionist or something? Not sure. Very obnoxious. Ruined the whole meal if I was to be honest.

Zzzzzz...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Walking on the beach beside the golf course a few months back, overheard a fella who was playing on the course talking to his mate...

"Ye know I still don't fúckin believe in this 'women being allowed on a golf course' shoite"

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Walking on the beach beside the golf course a few months back, overheard a fella who was playing on the course talking to his mate...

"Ye know I still don't fúckin believe in this 'women being allowed on a golf course' shoite"

:(

Having seen some of the clothes golfers wear, maybe it's because he knew she could turn up in the same outfit as him!

Advertisement