Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit & Month(s) In Advance

Options
  • 22-11-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I was just wondering what is the norm with Deposits and Months advance as per renting (house share, apartment share etc)
    I normally ask for 1 Months Rent in advance and a seperate Deposit (same amount as 1 months rent for simplicity) I assumed this was "the Norm"
    I actually ommitted to mention the Month in advance in my last daft add silly me. But in any event I assumed it was taken as normal (Advance month & deposit)
    In any event the new girl when i mentioned it to her she didnt seem to be too chuffed and said anywhere she had rented she paid a deposit and that was it.
    She did pay me the deposit in fairness on the first day of visiting the place I said we could "sort the rest out when she moved in" She assumed i was talking about keys but I was actually referring to the months rent in advance.
    So in any event her attitude is dont worry Ill give you a months warning if im leaving:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It is very much the norm to be asked for deposit plus first month in advance; its not really something that you would need to specify in an ad. She is a bit naive to be surprised by this.

She is correct in one thing though; I might hand over the deposit (or part of it) in advance but no way would I give a landlord the full initial amount until I am getting the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

As per above post, the norm is a months rent in advance + a months rent for deposit.

That's what I paid when when I moved into current house and the same before current.

So in any event her attitude is dont worry Ill give you a months warning if im leaving

This needs to be sorted ASAP! She needs to know up front that if she signs a fixed term lease there is no notice period; she cannot leave for the duration of the lease.

To be honest she sounds a bit immature/inexperienced in the renting market. If it were me Id be treading carefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

djimi wrote: »
    This needs to be sorted ASAP! She needs to know up front that if she signs a fixed term lease there is no notice period; she cannot leave for the duration of the lease.

To be honest she sounds a bit immature/inexperienced in the renting market. If it were me Id be treading carefully...

I'd agree with the treading carefully bit, she might not know how rentals normally work if (for example) she's lived in rental properties all through college but her parents dealt with the landlord (I see this a lot) so now this is her first time handling the details.

On the "fixed term lease" bit, the OP mentioned house share, that to me suggests the poster will be living in the house, slightly different set of rules :pac: , er none really, but the deposit and months rent in advance would still apply

I didnt pick up on that from the OP, but yes if the OP is an owner occupier then she would be a licensee and normal tenancy laws do not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I have rented four different properties and never paid anything other then the deposit. Ive viewed a lot of places and only one place ever asked for a month in advance they were laughed at by everyone viewing it.

ameee wrote: »
    I have rented four different properties and never paid anything other then the deposit. Ive viewed a lot of places and only one place ever asked for a month in advance they were laughed at by everyone viewing it.

I have no idea where you rent properties, but it is absolutely the norm in pretty much any part of country that I have ever seen or heard of for a tenant to give deposit and first month up front. Suggest anything other than that to most landlords and they would walk away without saying another word.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

djimi wrote: »

I have no idea where you rent properties, but it is absolutely the norm in pretty much any part of country that I have ever seen or heard of for a tenant to give deposit and first month up front. Suggest anything other than that to most landlords and they would walk away without saying another word.

Dublin. I have rented three apartments and i am now renting a house all of which i paid a months rent as a deposit usually about a thousand and nothing else. 90 percent of places i called on daft only wanted a deposit the ones that wanted more always stated so on the advert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I've been renting houses and apartments for well over a decade and have never NOT paid a month's rent up front at the start of a tenancy as well as giving a deposit of the same amount.

It's completely normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Rented in Dublin, Longford & Kildare now at this stage and anywhere I have looked or ended up renting wanted a deposit and a month rent. The normal is as described above. Usually a deposit or part of in advance after viewing and agreeing etc then first months rent when collecting keys and signing the lease which is done at same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Are you implying that you paid the rent monthly in arrears? I have NEVER heard of this happening. If you are renting a house from (say) the 1st of January, you pay a deposit in Nov/Dec to "take" the house but then must pay the rent for January BEFORE you move in. Rent for February is then due on 31st of January etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Totally normal to give a deposit and months rent in advance

shes playing dumb m'dear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Did you pay the last month's rent in these places right before you moved out?

Advertisement