Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat5e Question.

• 22-11-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

Hello, currently getting some wiring done around the house.
    The electrican has cat5e cable for the phone lines.
    I am aware that cat5e cables can be used for internet aswell, I was hoping to run cat5e cables from the router to two tv's in two rooms so they could have internet access.
    but the cat5e cable has has no ends on it to enter into the ethernet ports of the router of the tv (they are just bare), Do i have to buy a special cat5e cable with the ends for the ethernet, or can we just add the ethernet ends on to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

you can add the ends onto it afterwards no problem...just need a crimping tool and the connectors themselves...cheap enough from amazon/ebay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thanks, whats the difference between a normal lan cable and a cat5e cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks, whats the difference between a normal lan cable and a cat5e cable?

CAT5e cable that's used for wiring in a building is usually solid core. It's not advisable to use RJ45 crimps on this type of wire unless you use special crimps and a very good crimp tool. It's better to use the connectors that you mount into wall sockets. The wires are terminated onto these connectors with a punch-down tool.

Normal LAN cables use stranded wire which is more flexible and also easier to crimp.

bhickey wrote: »
    CAT5e cable that's used for wiring in a building is usually solid core. It's not advisable to use RJ45 crimps on this type of wire unless you use special crimps and a very good crimp tool. It's better to use the connectors that you mount into wall sockets. The wires are terminated onto these connectors with a punch-down tool.

Normal LAN cables use stranded wire which is more flexible and also easier to crimp.
    Thanks,what do you mean into wall sockets? do you mean the dsl socket? would I be right in saying that the dsl socket (which i think will have cat5e behind them) will be capable of running to the router by using one of those dsl and ethernet splitters to dsl socket and the subsequent dsl splitters from the dsl sockets at the tvs could do the same?

Regarding the cat5e cable , if i am running it along without sockets would you suggest just to buy ones that have already the ethernet ends on it, instead of adding them on later? He has the cat5e cable here already, so it would be handy to use his now.

I probably didnt make much sense in my last post, this is all a bit confusing to me :)
    Anyway electrican said he can make a socket on the wall for the cat5e, that would allow me then just to bring the small cable from wall to the tvs. I could just use a normal lan cable then to bring the internet to the tvs. Think that should be problem solved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

You can have a socket on the wall you just need a rj45 module and a faceplate it will need to be pinched down.

Once this is done you can insert any parch lead into the socket and then into the TV/computer.

It is easy to do if you have the correct tools

Thanks
    By the way lads, the electrican has a cat5e cable down to one of the tvs already, he said for a tv signal. I dont think dvb-t or dvb-s can be carried on this though can it?

Advertisement