Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Exchange / Erasmus

Options
  • 22-11-2012 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I'm just wondering whether it is more competitive in Law with courses as there's only a limited number of people who can actually get a place to study abroad for mine I think its approximately 5 people, so would GPA requirements be significantly higher for international exchanges (>2.8) that are through English ie: Canada, Minnesota USA and Australia ?

I don't have any fluency in the Erasmus exchanges languages (ie: within the EU French & German) that are on offer, are these generally the least applied for ?

Also, do the majority of courses generally want to go away ? As 5 places is seems extremely scarce.

And does it make your final year significantly more difficult as only the 4th year exams will count towards the final degree ?

Any help re: the above would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

edgal wrote: »
    I'm just wondering whether it is more competitive in Law with courses as there's only a limited number of people who can actually get a place to study abroad for mine I think its approximately 5 people, so would GPA requirements be significantly higher for international exchanges (>2.8) that are through English ie: Canada, Minnesota USA and Australia ?
    Think all GPA has to be 3.0 and over esp. for the US. If you are accepted by your GPA they will look at your subjects in depth to make a decision if there are a number of you applying for the same place (That's what I understood today at the US talk).
    I don't have any fluency in the Erasmus exchanges languages (ie: within the EU French & German) that are on offer, are these generally the least applied for
    ?

Not sure about this but the international office did say that usually have well over 100 applications to go through. In some places in the US there are max 20 places, but min can be 1. If this is the same for Erasums, I'd say places are very limited.

And does it make your final year significantly more difficult as only the 4th year exams will count towards the final degree ?
    Did they say only your final year count or are you assuming. I don't see why they'd not just take your previous year into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

I'm a Business and Law student currently on Erasmus in France. I know we had even less of a choice with regards to where we could go, so it was quite competitive to get the Australia (English speaking) places. Anyone in B+L who applied got offered a place on an Erasmus (within the EU) programme, as far as I know, but I stand to be corrected on that.

Firstly, I wouldn't let a lack of fluency stop you for applying for an Erasmus programme, we don't get to take electives so we hadn't studied a language since the Leaving Cert and we're getting on fine, it's tough but not impossible if you're willing to try.

I know for us that only our 4th year grades count towards our final degree calculation. I'd be very surprised if it were different for pure Law. I understand that the academic standard is much higher in Australia than UCD and, in the case of the Erasmus programme, it wouldn't be fair to compare marks gained in a foreign language to the marks of the students who took the same class in English.

I can't comment (yet) on whether it's harder doing 100% final year, but my perspective is that I've taken a year where I get to travel loads, experience a new culture and meet lots of new people from around the world. I don't think I'll mind hitting the books for 9 months after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

I'm a Business and Law student currently on Erasmus in France. I know we had even less of a choice with regards to where we could go, so it was quite competitive to get the Australia (English speaking) places. Anyone in B+L who applied got offered a place on an Erasmus (within the EU) programme...

Can you remember what the approximate minimum GPA was for going to Australia ?
    I'm doing law with but are you away with other people from your course ?

Firstly, I wouldn't let a lack of fluency stop you for applying for an Erasmus programme, we don't get to take electives so we hadn't studied a language since the Leaving Cert and we're getting on fine, it's tough but not impossible if you're willing to try.

The EU countries on offer are through German and French, since I did Spanish for the Leaving Cert it would probably be almost impossible to keep up with classes over there. So, I'll probably be restricted in that I'll only be applying for Universities who teach through English? Otherwise it would be fantastic to do something like what you are now!!
    I know for us that only our 4th year grades count towards our final degree calculation. I'd be very surprised if it were different for pure Law.

I can't comment (yet) on whether it's harder doing 100% final year, but my perspective is that I've taken a year where I get to travel loads, experience a new culture and meet lots of new people from around the world. I don't think I'll mind hitting the books for 9 months after that!

Thanks for your response!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

edgal wrote: »
    Can you remember what the approximate minimum GPA was for going to Australia ?
    I'm doing law with but are you away with other people from your course ?

The EU countries on offer are through German and French, since I did Spanish for the Leaving Cert it would probably be almost impossible to keep up with classes over there. So, I'll probably be restricted in that I'll only be applying for Universities who teach through English? Otherwise it would be fantastic to do something like what you are now!!

Thanks for your response!

From what I remember it was 3.5 and upwards, at least. But we had no American or Canadian options so there was very limited space for a course of 120+. It all depends on who applies as well, and rumour has it that they look at your Christmas results in 2nd year too, so try to maintain your grades from last year if possible.

Yeah, I'm with others from my course, but no one from Law/Law with. There are also a lot of other UCD people majoring in French etc. If I were you I would definitely apply, and if you don't get it you can always do a masters abroad. I know that's the plan of people in my year who didn't get a place. It's such a pity there's no Spanish options, that's a poor reflection on the law school imo.

And it's no problem, I was in the same boat last year wondering whether to apply!

Advertisement