Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Quick question about static from plugs

• 22-11-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. Just want to ask a quick question about a plug that I have and whether I should take action.

Right, I am going to explain my layout. It may sound a bit messy but anyway!
    • Wall Socket
      4-Gang Strip containing:
      • Xbox/PS3 (These change depending on which I want to use)
      • Television
      • Fan Heater
      • Plug going to another 4-Gang Strip containing:
        • Desk Lamp
        • Computer (It's just 1 plug. A Y-cable which is going into the monitor and tower)

Now, during the day, I would have just the TV and the computer on.
    In the evenings, I would have the heater on and the Xbox/PS3 for about 1 hr, but the problem is nothing to do with the TV, Xbox/PS3 or even the heater.

It's the plug that is going to the 2nd 4-gang strip. I bought a new heater yesterday (due to a fault with the other one, nothing related here) and I normally hold down the other plug to keep the 4-gang steady while I take the plug out (I should mention that I touched the radiator before touching anything electric (as I do when I am going to be messing with the computer)), but I got static off the plug and I not once, but a couple of times.

I got my father to have a quick look (Since I am a flamin' wimp :P ) and I turned off the computer and he pulled out that 4-gang strip. When he plugged it back in, there was a big spark coming inside the 4-gang strip, but everything is working as normal.

Just wondering if I should be worried about it or if I should have a "Sparky" to have a look at it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

Hey guys. Just want to ask a quick question about a plug that I have and whether I should take action.

Right, I am going to explain my layout. It may sound a bit messy but anyway!
    • Wall Socket
      4-Gang Strip containing:
      • Xbox/PS3 (These change depending on which I want to use)
      • Television
      • Fan Heater
      • Plug going to another 4-Gang Strip containing:
        • Desk Lamp
        • Computer (It's just 1 plug. A Y-cable which is going into the monitor and tower)

Now, during the day, I would have just the TV and the computer on.
    In the evenings, I would have the heater on and the Xbox/PS3 for about 1 hr, but the problem is nothing to do with the TV, Xbox/PS3 or even the heater.

It's the plug that is going to the 2nd 4-gang strip. I bought a new heater yesterday (due to a fault with the other one, nothing related here) and I normally hold down the other plug to keep the 4-gang steady while I take the plug out (I should mention that I touched the radiator before touching anything electric (as I do when I am going to be messing with the computer)), but I got static off the plug and I not once, but a couple of times.

I got my father to have a quick look (Since I am a flamin' wimp :P ) and I turned off the computer and he pulled out that 4-gang strip. When he plugged it back in, there was a big spark coming inside the 4-gang strip, but everything is working as normal.

Just wondering if I should be worried about it or if I should have a "Sparky" to have a look at it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance :)

you shouldnt be getting a static shock off the plug or lead
    these are made from non conductible materials
    get it checked out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

also seems like a lot of load for a 4 gang lead, the heater in there sounds a bit too much IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The spark would br arcing, did you get a static shock from the radiator or plastic plug? If it was from the radiator has it plastic wheels/legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Stoner wrote: »
    also seems like a lot of load for a 4 gang lead, the heater in there sounds a bit too much IMHO
    ted1 wrote: »
    The spark would br arcing, did you get a static shock from the radiator or plastic plug? If it was from the radiator has it plastic wheels/legs?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

@Stoner: Fan heater is needed since the room is cold and my granddad REFUSES to put the central heating on even at Xmas time (and if you try to put it on, he would switch it off after a few mins). So, unfortunately it is needed in the room.

@ted1: I got a static shock from the plastic plug for the 2nd 4-gang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

its most likely the tx/xbox/computer combination.

The filter capacitors inside these are going to hold a charge for a while after you unplug them. if you replug them quickly, then you will often get the pop/spark as you plug in again. computers will often do this anyway.

The static may be just static, if your fingers get close enough to any earth on plug/socket strip.

However it may be a bad earth on the 1st socket strip...! the earths on above equipment will float enough to give you a shock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭whizbang

In the meantime. Please find somewhere else to plug in the fan heater. Its just not right here.

Try to put the computer and desk lamp on the first strip. the rest on the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Will do whizbang. I will have to do a re-arrangement. Thanks for the advice :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When he plugged it back in, there was a big spark coming inside the 4-gang strip, but everything is working as normal.
    It is normal for an electrical circuit to "arc" at the point where it is made or broken. The larger the load the more visible the arc. Sometimes this is more noticeable than other times.

As already suggested this is a lot to have from a single plugboard. At a minimum it would be best not to plug the heater in at this point (as this is the largest load).

As for the static, I think that it is more likely that you statically charged yourself up and then you discharged yourself (at which point you would have felt the shock) by touching something conductive that was earthed like the heater enclosure.

Advertisement