Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last night's electrical storm

Options
  • 22-11-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭

was very close to the house and ,the moment the power went I noticed(saw and heard) a fizzle (like a sparkler) outside the window.

At first I thought it was inside the room and that the fuse box had been hit.
    However the phone was now dead and so I assumed that the lightning had hit the phone line that runs down the wall through the ivy on the outside wall.

An hour later enough the power came back on -but so did the phone connection(that came back after about 10 minutes).

Surely it would have been down for good if the phone line had been hit?
    Can the phone line be disabled temporarily like that ?

(I could have been mistaken about the line being dead I suppose if ,say, the phone wsn't sitting correctly in its cradle at the outset)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Could have been a single negative GC strike or a streamer. Try not to use a landline during a thunderstorm, it's one of the most common ways of getting hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks.I'll remember that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

Confab wrote: »
    Could have been a single negative GC strike or a streamer. Try not to use a landline during a thunderstorm, it's one of the most common ways of getting hit.
    I don't think thats the case anymore as the lines have been insulated against lightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Where was this thunderstorm??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

amandstu wrote: »
    was very close to the house and ,the moment the power went I noticed(saw and heard) a fizzle (like a sparkler) outside the window.

At first I thought it was inside the room and that the fuse box had been hit.
    However the phone was now dead and so I assumed that the lightning had hit the phone line that runs down the wall through the ivy on the outside wall.

An hour later enough the power came back on -but so did the phone connection(that came back after about 10 minutes).

Surely it would have been down for good if the phone line had been hit?
    Can the phone line be disabled temporarily like that ?

(I could have been mistaken about the line being dead I suppose if ,say, the phone wsn't sitting correctly in its cradle at the outset)

a cordless phone wont work if the power is off.

A cordless phone is a lot safer to use during a thunderstorm than a wireless phone as the danger lightening hits the house , its been known to the knock the phone off the wall.

Another thing to wary off is that your internet router should be plugged out from the phone as well as i seen computers wrecked because went though the router down the network cable and fried the PC connected to the router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement