Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TS850s need advice

Options
  • 22-11-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've read a lot about common problem with DDS units on CAR board in early TS850s. The thing is that I got an offer and I'm hesitating.
    This particular rig has "affected" serial number and I'm wondering if it's worth to take such "risk" or I should forget about it and get either newer rig or newer 850s?

73's Seb
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TheLongView

(from memory, but I think I'm right here) The CAR board issue was caused by surface mount caps that were filled with the wrong electrolyte and as such, have a great tendency to leak and destroy the CAR board.

So, You seriously need to look at that CAR board before you buy. If the caps have already leaked, the board may already be on its way to failure. It will be very obvious if the caps have leaked. Personally I'd walk away..

If there is no sign of leakage and you buy the rig then you should look at buying the capacitor repair kit for the CAR board. This is specially important if the rig has received little use recently. If you start working it hard, that may be all the encouragement the dodgy caps need to let go.

This video shows how to view the CAR board. Its under the top cover, and then under an internal cover. Five minutes is all an inspection would take and would tell you all you need to know.

The link is.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP9Y9_zXfNs

John EI5JS

Advertisement