Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 3 problem

Options
  • 22-11-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

My son bought a ps3 in June .When you turn it on now the green light comes on but the tv screen remains blank. I dont know anything about ps3 but I have checked the connection and they seem fine. Any thoughts on this would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

When turning on the PS3, try pressing and holding the Power button until it beeps twice. This should reset the video settings. If you are using a HDMI cable to connect it to the TV, it should ask you if you want to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭multifunction

Thanks Otacon
    Im afraid no joy with it.I tried those steps,I have a green light but just a blank screen.

Thanks Otacon
    Im afraid no joy with it.I tried those steps,I have a green light but just a blank screen.

How is the PS3 connected to your TV? A HDMI cable or component?

Whichever way its connected, try the other one. If it works, that will tell you if its an issue with the method of connection rather than the TV or PS3.

Its connected from av multi out.I dont seem to have another cable

Its connected from av multi out.I dont seem to have another cable

Does that cable use a SCART adapter or does it plug directly into the TV?

Also, does your TV have a HDMI port? If so, you can pick up a cheap HDMI cable [< €5] online or from a PC World/Maplins etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah it uses a scart adaptor.I will pick up a HDMI cable tomorrow and try that.Thanks once again

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

You have changed the TV source to AV ya? The hdmi will work only if the TV has a hdmi connection, you also need to change the tv source to hdmi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

Try the ps3 on a different TV just to be sure it's not faulty. If its fine then it up to a bit of troubleshooting to get it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

Really silly question but have you picked the correct channel on the TV with the remote ? AV channel. Might be more than one. I have one at back and one at the side on mine along with HDMI inputs. Use a HDMI cable if you can, the quality of display is stunning.

As Otacon said, hold down power button until it beeps twice to reset. You will then be presented with a choice on the screen as to the output you wish to use.

Solid green normally means all is ok.

Yeah it uses a scart adaptor.

Those cables can often be plugged into the TV without the SCART adapter. Try that also. There should be three small ports [red, white, yellow] to plug them into.

• Advertisement

I have tried different cables and different tv all to no avail.I am going to return it to sony Thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

If you have the receipt might be faster going back to the store if you picked it up recently. I had an issue once and rang the store I got it from (a week later) asked to speak to the manager and he was really helpful. Just to told me to mention his name in the games section and that a replacement would be waiting.

Does sound like you have a dud though.

I am assuming here that after you plugged in the hdmi cable you also tried the reset above just to ensure that you get the option to goto HDMI and that the TV is on the right source. Been caught out with the wrong channel myself so know how easy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

My ps3 came with a faulty component cable, never worked. Perhaps this is a thing with Sony, they realize that a large percentage of people will be using a hdmi connection so they ship out really low quality component cables?

S0 I rang Sony and they talked me through a few different steps but to no avail. They arranged a courier to pick up the console and I got it back within a week. I dont know if it is a new one or not but it is working now. Good service . Happy days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Martha_Mae

Didn't want to start a new thread

Got a problem with my PS3. I wanted to check how much space I've got left on my hard drive. Didn't know how to do that. I googled it and saw that I've got to go to settings and bladibla Thing is that I don't get any screen on if I don't have a game in. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

hold the ps button. Go to settings.

Am i missing something?

RossieMan wrote: »
    hold the ps button. Go to settings.

Am i missing something?

It doesn't work for some reason can't understand why.

your ps button is it?

Maybe your controller is for the bin.

your ps button is it?

Maybe your controller is for the bin.

Controller seems to work fine while playing games
    For some reason though nothing happens when no disk is in the box.

It's not that important anyway thanks for trying to help

Martha_Mae wrote: »
    Controller seems to work fine while playing games
    For some reason though nothing happens when no disk is in the box.

It's not that important anyway thanks for trying to help

is it an official controller or a cheap one?

What happens when you press the PS button in a game?

• Advertisement

is it an official controller or a cheap one?

What happens when you press the PS button in a game?

official / nothing at all :/ could it be the cable? I'll try to use a different controller and a different cable and see what happens

why do you need a cable for it?

Sounds like its your controller.

why do you need a cable for it?

Sounds like its your controller.

Don't know I'm useless when it comes to all things techie :P I'll try a different controller so thnx!

This may be stupid, but Is it definitely a ps3?

This may be stupid, but Is it definitely a ps3?

Ha yes

Advertisement