Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering at ISPCA

Options
  • 22-11-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there, I am a guy who grew up on a farm (no horses) but i'm now living in Dublin. I've been in Dublin for 6 years now and while I enjoy it, it's still not the same. I was looking at volunteering previously and saw that the ISPCA takes on yard workers/stable hands.

I was wondering what sort of experience would be needed? I have worked with horses for a summer and have a lot better understanding of their temperaments now than I had previously however I am still a beginner around them. I have fed, brought water, hay etc. to them, tacked up (with help), brought them in from the fields with halter and led them back. I have a desk job in an IT company but I would love that connection to animals again. So, would it be worth me applying? Or has anyone any other ideas as to where might be suitable. Regards myself, I am relatively strong, stocky and not afraid of hard work :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Perhaps go to another yard if there's one accessible to you to get more practice first. I don't know much about the ISPCA but I would imagine that they would be looking for people who have experience with horses in case something goes wrong (remember, it's sick and abused animals you're dealing with).
    Horses are one of those things that you could work your whole life around them and you still will find something to surprise you so experience is essential. Maybe after a year or so of helping out in another stables, you will have covered most of the basics and think about applying then?

Just to be clear though, I've never had experience with the ISPCA (luckily never had to) so I don't know what they look for and I'm open to being corrected on these matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Hi OP,

That's great that you want to volunteer! I don't have any experience with the ISPCA but certainly contact them and tell them what you have done. I would imagine they are always looking for help of some kind. It doesn't take much experience to carry in hay/feed or even groom some of the quieter animals and the more experienced and capable you get around them then the more you can do.

Call them anyway and see what they say :)

Advertisement