Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No less than 100 years rule: A question for all genealogists

• 22-11-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

To all Genealogist and Historical Researchers who may be able to help:

I have completed a 'Start up your own business course'. My reason for this is that I have become a constant in-demand person for Heritage/Genealogy/Historical Research by individuals, groups, and those overseas. I am on three committees two for the Heritage field and one for the enviroment. I never thought I would be a constant in demand person by my fourth year of Heritage Studies. I realise two years later that I have taken on far too much voluntary that is why I want to start my own business in this. I would like to ask genealogists about the 100 year rule. Isn't there something about genealogist can't give anything that less than 100 years to a person unless you are working in a births, deaths, marriges hospital to give to descendents.
    For example school registers would I only go up as far as 1912 for clients I suppose it depends on the school and the access a genealogist would have to them. I know there are a good lot of school centenary books out there too with the full register of 100 years. Genealogists I would really apprecaite you advise.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

No such rule.

Two examples off the top of my head are the Civil Registration Indexes which go up to 1958 on Familysearch and the Cancelled Land Books.

Reading Tracing Your Irish Ancestors by John Grenham, and having it in you reference library, will provide answers to these types of questions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

As I said on the other thread, only the census has that rule, and it has been overturned for 1911/1901 and will likely be for 1926 also. In the US, they only have a 70 year sealing on the census.

Also, you can go into the GRO and get the records of BMDs from earlier this year...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Thank you both. When I was working in Galway Family History West Ltd. in Co. Galway. I was told that they couldn't give anything that is less than 100 years despite the census what they would do next is send them to the UCHG BMD/GRO office as a follow up.

Advertisement