Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mexes Goal vs Ibrahimovic's Goal

• 22-11-2012 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭

Saw this in the news today.
    Is it better than Ibrahimovic's ?
    You decide :P

Mexes:

Ibrahimovic

Mexes Or Ibrahimovic 80 votes

Mexes
    0% 0 votes
    Ibrahimovic
    100% 80 votes

Comments

No poll? Mexes goal was was better. Goalkeeper wasn't doing anything stupid and it was a high profile match as opposed to a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sacramento wrote: »
    No poll? Mexes goal was was better. Goalkeeper wasn't doing anything stupid and it was a high profile match as opposed to a friendly.

Poll Added :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Ibra's was great but anyone who thinks it was better needs to lern2football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Ibra's was better because he meant to score.

Mexes looks like he was just trying to put the ball back in the penalty box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Does this mean the greatest goal EVER scored, wasn't? Thought the hype about Ibrahimovichs goal was nonsensical. Not to mention the deity status placed on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Super-Rush wrote: »

But there was no one in the box that he could "pass" it to. Mexes definitely ment to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

If Ibra scored the Mexes one I'd say the first one - but cause he didnt Ibra's one is better!

But there was no one in the box that he could "pass" it to. Mexes definitely ment to score.

Ball came to him and he hit it over his head. Most likely thought that the two supporting players with him were further forward than they were. I seriously doubt that he thought that he was going to even trouble the keeper let alone score. Ibra knew the keeper was well off his line and knew he had a chance of scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mexes. Important match, controlled it first and then hit it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

lololol Mexes bicycle kicked in a cross did he :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ibra's was great but anyone who thinks it was better needs to lern2football

What the **** does this mean?

Anyway Zlatan's one is better. Looking at the two, zlatan's is the more difficult of the two to pull off. I would also argue he scored his against better players. Friendly or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I went for Ibra's.

For the record I don't think Ibra's is one of the best goals ever scored, but for me it's one of the most impressive.

In terms of athleticism and technique it's just ridiculous.

It's an insane goal.

I understand why some are saying Mexes's is better because these things are subjective and everyone has their own criteria.

Ibra's for me is just crazily impressive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Zlatan.

Further out, more difficult angle, ball was higher in the air and more difficult to execute.

Not taking anything away from Mexes goal its an exceptional strike also but Zlatan just pips it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Defo Ibra.

Mexes was more of a hit and hope. He had to have known that even with great contact he would have to be incredibly lucky for it to go where the keeper could not get it.
    No way he tried to overhead it into the top corner over the keeper - no way.

Ibra knew if he made good contact and had it on target it was more or less going to be in because the keeper was so far off his line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I think this is better than both, but I'm biased. The technique is ridiculous and he had to think so fast.

I voted for Mexes. Ibra's goal was special but having no keeper to beat helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Mexes, defender tight on him, keeper more or less positioned well (although slow to react).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Philippe Meh-xes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Sacramento wrote: »

Where and when the goal was scored has no relevance on how technically good the goals are. Zlatan's goal was absolutely ridiculous and you will never ever see someone do that again. I have seen plenty of overheads scored from the edge of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Voted for Ibra because whoever that guy is who scored last night, it wasn't against an English team so it doesn't matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mexes for me.

Ibra just hit it. Mexes seems to control it, line it up and then hit it. And there were more obstacles, the keeper was in a better position, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Thats the dumbest thing I have heard in hours. Seriously.

Anyway, I voted Mexes. Whatever about situation, Mexes had to beat a keeper with his shot, Ibra did not. You cannot compare goals where one of the players had to aim at an empty net.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Like Ibras just that bit more. They are both specials goals tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ibra for me. Was against England, his forth goal and the timing of it. He had to hit it when he did to catch out the keeper and defender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I voted Ibra, the technique in Ibra's was a lot harder to get right and the sheer athleticism of it was insane. No other player in the world could pull if off IMHO.

I honestly think Mexes just hit and hoped for the best.
    You can see the surprise on his face when it goes in, he can't believe it.

Still a cracker though.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Close one, but Ibrahimovic's goal is better for me. He did not have to control the ball, nor did he have time to whereas Mexes did. Rooney's was better than Mexes goal as he hit it first time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Where and when the goal was scored has no relevance on how technically good the goals are. Zlatan's goal was absolutely ridiculous and you will never ever see someone do that again. I have seen plenty of overheads scored from the edge of the box.

Indeed - It's rare you see goalkeepers as ridiculously out of position as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Both great goals but Ibra could pull off the Mexes goal whereas I'm not sure Mexes - or 99% of players for that matter - could have pulled off the Swede's goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭CSF

As has been said by many in the thread, Zlatan's goal just was not imitatable. Out of this world stuff. Mexes' goal was sublime too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Ibra's was the better of the two.

But Trevor Sinclair's for QPR in 1997 was better than both of them.

• Advertisement

Thats the dumbest thing I have heard in hours. Seriously.

Anyway, I voted Mexes. Whatever about situation, Mexes had to beat a keeper with his shot, Ibra did not. You cannot compare goals where one of the players had to aim at an empty net.

England had two players back in the penalty box that could have cleared it but Ibra stuck it where they couldn't reach it.

By your logic you can't compare the goals as you wouldn't be surprised at Ibra trying something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

England had two players back in the penalty box that could have cleared it but Ibra stuck it where they couldn't reach it.

By your logic you can't compare the goals as you wouldn't be surprised at Ibra trying something like that.
    The fact that zlatan had an open goal edges it to mexes for me. Better technique by Ibra though. Rooneys against city was better than either. The pace on it and context of it made that goal one of the best ever IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

davyjose wrote: »
    The fact that zlatan had an open goal edges it to mexes for me. Better technique by Ibra though. Rooneys against city was better than either. The pace on it and context of it made that goal one of the best ever IMO.

No chance, it's a bigger shinner than Gerry Adams.

It was also from about 12 yards so much more comparable to Eidur Gudjohnsen's and both are a level well below Mexes and Ibra.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No chance, it's a bigger shinner than Gerry Adams.

It was also from about 12 yards so much more comparable to Eidur Gudjohnsen's and both are a level well below Mexes and Ibra.
    I would have said the same if it was scored against United! ;) Come on, with the pace that the ball came into Rooney at, you have to give him credit for it. If it had been thirty yards out Hart still would not have saved it.

England had two players back in the penalty box that could have cleared it but Ibra stuck it where they couldn't reach it

I'd far rather have two outfield players on the line to beat than one goalkeeper, its not even a choice.

The more I consider this the better Mexes goal appears.

For all Ibra did brilliantly, he had a goalkeeper in no-mans land and no defenders closing him down. Mexes had a goalkeeper on the line and a defender pushing into his back affecting his balance.

The ball bounced perfectly for Ibra, such that his only action needed to was to strike the ball correctly (not that it was easy, I am not saying that at all). The cross to Mexes came in behind him, so he had to control the ball while knocking it into the air with his chest, and then hit a perfect strike to beat the keeper. Two separate actions requiring skill as opposed to one.

One was the end of a friendly match that was already won, the other was an actual competitive match.

Nope, for me its Mexes, with the most important factor being that defender pushing into his back putting him under pressure. Ibra's goal is still fantastic, but Mexes' is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Ibra's for the simple fact that he capped a sensational performance in which he had already scored 3 fantastic goals with an absolute wondergoal that will always be remembered, plus the fact that in 10 incredibly successful years he has often scored jawdropping goals, so he deserves to be remembered.

Mexes' was a wondergoal too, but it doesn't make up for 10 years of being an average defender and a thug.

As a stand alone goal Mauro Bressan's for Fiorentina vs Barca was better than both. Mauro who??? One swallow does not a summer make...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Ibra's for the simple fact that he capped a sensational performance in which he had already scored 3 fantastic goals with an absolute wondergoal that will always be remembered, plus the fact that in 10 incredibly successful years he has often scored jawdropping goals, so he deserves to be remembered.

Mexes' was a wondergoal too, but it doesn't make up for 10 years of being an average defender and a thug.

As a stand alone goal Mauro Bressan's for Fiorentina vs Barca was better than both. Mauro who??? One swallow does not a summer make...

This is not Ibra for 10 years vs Mexes for 10 years. This is just about the 1 goal they scored, nothing to do with 10 years of being average defender.

Also it doesn't matter how many goals Ibra scored against England before scoring "THAT" goal as this thread is about just 2 overhead kick goals.

Edit: Mexes goal wins it for me, reasons are already mentioned many times. He had keeper on the line, defender to put pressure on him not just a free shot like Ibra had.

What has any of that got to do with the quality of the two goals scored? Thats all totally irrelevant.

Context is completely unimportant to you then. Okay.

As a standalone goal I still choose Ibra's. Mexes could try that 100 times again and it would never come off, it was more of a hit and hope, and extremely poor defending to let him get a shot away at all.

It wasn't Ibra's fault Hart came, he took advantage of the situation in a split second and put the ball where no one could get it.

And to me, it's important that he could probably do it again just as well. Hard not to label Mexes' a bit of a fluke.

Bressan's is still better than both though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

In 5-10 years people will still remember Zlatan's goal. Even friends who dont follow football have been talking to me about that goal.

Context is completely unimportant to you then. Okay.

As a standalone goal I still choose Ibra's. Mexes could try that 100 times again and it would never come off, it was more of a hit and hope, and extremely poor defending to let him get a shot away at all.

It wasn't Ibra's fault Hart came, he took advantage of the situation in a split second and put the ball where no one could get it.

And to me, it's important that he could probably do it again just as well. Hard not to label Mexes' a bit of a fluke.

Bressan's is still better than both though!

Context?

Your post basically said that because Ibra had scored good goals before that he deserved this one to be judged better. Its a complete non-sequiter, judge the two goals on their merits not on stuff like "he deserved it more".

If Jamie Carragher scored a header this weekend would that be a better goal than Mexes just because he was a great servant to Liverpool and so deserved it more?

• Advertisement

Yes context. Like Maradona's goal because it was at the World Cup and seen as revenge for the Falklands, a victory for the little guy. Messi scored a carbon copy that is already nearly forgotten.

Looking at the goal on its merits then it's still Ibra because we have 10 years of form that say Mexes' was a fluke, 99/100 he hits the corner flag if he connects at all. Ibra's form tells us he regularly scores wondergoals, so it's the work of a master of his art and should be applauded.

Given your logic if I go and beat 5 people, hoist onto my chest and bicycle it into the top corner in a Saturday match in the United Churches League my goal should be considered on its merits, so move over Zlatan! Obviously this is a ridiculous notion.

Advertisement