Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats with French words used for descriptions

Options
  • 22-11-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

I have noticed in particular the Irish times the use of French words when describing houses/apartments... What is the point we have equivalent words in english. I only presume the writer is trying to create a mystic about the property but it only serves to looking stupid. Its like what french word can I put in here...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

c'est la vie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

c'est la vie

Très bon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭marketty

'Maisonette' would be my personal favourite. During the tiger years this was typically half a house with no parking space on the outskirts of a village in Roscommon offering 'chic' country living 'just 30 minutes from Dublin'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

a la carté

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

"bijou" - why don't they just say "kip" and stop wasting everyone's time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

a systic

A what?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,797 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Artisan is always a good one as well! (Its italian thought I think not french) - translation small and old

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Cul de sac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

marketty wrote: »
    'Maisonette' would be my personal favourite. During the tiger years this was typically half a house with no parking space on the outskirts of a village in Roscommon offering 'chic' country living 'just 30 minutes from Dublin'

Maisonettes in Dublin was and is typically old corpo housing. It was where you got drugs in Coolock back in the day.

Much happier using French than the way Americans name things. A maisonettes is called a "two family house". Once a word is used commonly in English it becomes English. Chic is now an English word with a French origin for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

quaalude wrote: »
    "bijou" - why don't they just say "kip" and stop wasting everyone's time.

Here's the culprits, skip to 3:06 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Lambsbread

al fresco dining (not french I know) = balcony with barely enough room to swing a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

gmisk wrote: »
    Artisan is always a good one as well! (Its italian thought I think not french) - translation small and old
    Oh god!
    Artisan cottage is a former home used by a craft person (artisan). They are normally cottages of workers from an old estate. Full or period features and style unless gutted in the 70s

I guess they shouldn't use words people don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Oh god!
    Artisan cottage is a former home used by a craft person (artisan). They are normally cottages of workers from an old estate. Full or period features and style unless gutted in the 70s

I guess they shouldn't use words people don't understand.

Except in Ireland, its frequently applied to any small terraced house, whether it was actually used by a craft person; built by the predecessor to Green Property, or has absolutely nothing to do with either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

La plume de ma tante - estate agents, property writers, developers, Del Boy, pas de difference mes amis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Uh, I'm a bit lost with this one.

Who's
    taking the house to France? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Maggie 2

Petits pois.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Si ma tante avait des testicules, elle serait mon oncle

Hoagy wrote: »
    Si ma tante avait des testicules, elle serait mon oncle
    For shure bud, for shure, 'specially round Wicklah, righ'?. Entre nous mon ami, voulez vous coucher avec ma brebis?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

and as George Bush said, the French don't even have a word for entrepreneur.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Fabrique Belgique.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just delve a little deeper into property and land law: The combination of Latin, French and ye olde English makes life 'fun'

Cestui que use
    Pur autre vie

Just delve a little deeper into property and land law: The combination of Latin, French and ye olde English makes life 'fun'

Cestui que use
    Pur autre vie

Not to mention Caveat Emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

mari2222 wrote: »
    Not to mention Caveat Emptor

That's Latin and more for pure contracts. Land gets likes to get all complicated with it's latin: Cuius est solum eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos and Superficies Solo Credit

... Cuius est solum eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos and Superficies Solo Credit
    Is that the oney toppin' yiz have? Can I not just gerra pepperoni, not fiery now, just a bi' spicy? Oh an' I don't want credit tanks, I'm a cash customer.

Menage a trois?

Advertisement