If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HiFi Guidance/Advice

Options
  • 22-11-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, just looking for some advice regarding a new HiFi, and rather than flounder round the net aimlessly I thought if ask the experts!

I'm looking for a new micro HiFi with the following:

-CD
    -Streaming Capabilities (PC and iPhone)
    -An input for my Project Turntable (with inbuilt pre-amp if possible)

Any and all suggestions would be very welcome, cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

There essentially would be 2 to look at that I would recommend :

The Marantz MCR603 has always been a popular model and one that is very well reviewed. This is airplay connectivity via a wired connection on the back of the unit so when the unit is connected to your router, you can stream from any wireless apple device directly to the unit. This has a CD player, amplifier and DAB radio and sounds great when wired to a decent pair of speakers.

Alternatively the new Denon Ceol is also a very good unit. This loses the DAB radio and adds an ipod dock but still features the airplay feature but this time via a wifi connection. The Denon is currently £499.95 and the Marantz is £100 cheaper at £399.95. I personally would have the Denon over the Marantz but they are both very good units.

Unfortunately neither of these have a phono input so you would need a phono pre amp if you are using a standard turntable. The Cambridge 551P at £69.95 would be a very worthwhile addition.

Do you have existing speakers or are you looking for speakers also ?

I hope this helps but let us know what you make of these.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

There essentially would be 2 to look at that I would recommend :

The Marantz MCR603 has always been a popular model and one that is very well reviewed. This is airplay connectivity via a wired connection on the back of the unit so when the unit is connected to your router, you can stream from any wireless apple device directly to the unit. This has a CD player, amplifier and DAB radio and sounds great when wired to a decent pair of speakers.

Alternatively the new Denon Ceol is also a very good unit. This loses the DAB radio and adds an ipod dock but still features the airplay feature but this time via a wifi connection. The Denon is currently £499.95 and the Marantz is £100 cheaper at £399.95. I personally would have the Denon over the Marantz but they are both very good units.

Unfortunately neither of these have a phono input so you would need a phono pre amp if you are using a standard turntable. The Cambridge 551P at £69.95 would be a very worthwhile addition.

Do you have existing speakers or are you looking for speakers also ?

I hope this helps but let us know what you make of these.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave,

Any reason you prefer Denon over Marantz?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 stan bowles

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. If I'm reading this right the Marantz has to be plugged in via an ethernet cable, whereas the Denon is WiFi ready out of the box? No problem about the preamp, I have to use one on my current system, would just have been a 'nice to have'. I'd be looking at getting new speakers too a the ones I currently have aren't great.

If you could PM me a quote for the Denon and some speakers I'd appreciate it, thanks!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. If I'm reading this right the Marantz has to be plugged in via an ethernet cable, whereas the Denon is WiFi ready out of the box?

Correct
    No problem about the preamp, I have to use one on my current system, would just have been a 'nice to have'.

I know an external pre-amp does add an extra box - however a decent preamp like the 551P or the 651P really are far superior to the inbuilt preamps found in most systems (or amps for that matter)
    I'd be looking at getting new speakers too a the ones I currently have aren't great.

If you could PM me a quote for the Denon and some speakers I'd appreciate it, thanks!

We can do the following:
    New Ceol DRAN8 with
    Monitor AUdio BX1 speakers
    £499.95

New Ceol DRAN8 with
    Monitor AUdio BX1 speakers
    £549.95

New Ceol DRAN8 with
    Dali Zensor One speakers
    £559.95

Thanks for the opportunity to quote and please don't hesitate to give me a shout if we can assist in any way..

ATVB,
    John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17 stan bowles

Hi Guys,

Just getting the money together to place an order, however I've noticed that the prices above are for a 'DRAN8', I assume this is a typo and you meant the RCDN8?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Guys,

Just getting the money together to place an order, however I've noticed that the prices above are for a 'DRAN8', I assume this is a typo and you meant the RCDN8?

Stan,

yep you are correct :o - you must spend all afternoon watching countdown..

..and for spotting the Typo - I'll give you an extra £10 discount (wait wait, don't let this become a national sport - I make lost of typos as my fingers work faster than my brain)

Keep me posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.