Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Clonmel

Options
  • 22-11-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭

I will be starting a Job with Abbot in January but as its only for 6 months I was wondering would it be difficult to find a house for that length of time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I will be starting a Job with Abbot in January but as its only for 6 months I was wondering would it be difficult to find a house for that length of time?
    I wouldent have thought so in this climate. Whilst Clonmel has a good rental market there is usually property to rent and most landlords will accept either 6 or 12 month contracts. Plenty of good housing options nearby to Abbott also. The Nationalist Newspaper on a Thursday is a good starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I wouldent have thought so in this climate. Whilst Clonmel has a good rental market there is usually property to rent and most landlords will accept either 6 or 12 month contracts. Plenty of good housing options nearby to Abbott also. The Nationalist Newspaper on a Thursday is a good starting point
    Thats what I was thinking just most of the ad's said 1 year but I gathered it would be flexible. I've been looking at a place called Dromard but it depends whats available in January really.

Yeah Dromard is nice and very close to Abbott.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

With all due respect a little more information would be helpful ...........How many people do you want the house for? Do you have a car. Your age and gender. If you are just looking for house share, for one person that would be very easy. Organize it now as it is very unlikely that many people will be moving into new accommodation before Christmas. Why not put an ad on Daft.ie meet the people now to ensure that your stay in Clonmel will be pleasant and memorable. The Auburn estate on the Cashel Rd. often offers attractive options. Wishing you the best of luck!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    With all due respect a little more information would be helpful ...........How many people do you want the house for? Do you have a car. Your age and gender. If you are just looking for house share, for one person that would be very easy. Organize it now as it is very unlikely that many people will be moving into new accommodation before Christmas. Why not put an ad on Daft.ie meet the people now to ensure that your stay in Clonmel will be pleasant and memorable. The Auburn estate on the Cashel Rd. often offers attractive options. Wishing you the best of luck!
    Yeah should have done that already.
    22 year old male just looking for a room for myself. I can't drive so that pretty much rules out anything in the town centre. Im actually in College at the moment and will be doing this placement in Abbot as part of my Degree so thats why its so short!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Longfield is one of the very close estate and has loads of house shares with people from Abbot.
    Trevor is the guy who manages the estate and takes care of the lettings for the developer.
    He would be a great man to contact and is very helpful. If you want his details, PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah should have done that already.
    22 year old male just looking for a room for myself. I can't drive so that pretty much rules out anything in the town centre. Im actually in College at the moment and will be doing this placement in Abbot as part of my Degree so thats why its so short!

Mate best of luck with it all but bring your rain-gear if you are planning to walk or cycle it. Maybe you can arrange a lift when you get to know who will be with day to day.

Mate best of luck with it all but bring your rain-gear if you are planning to walk or cycle it. Maybe you can arrange a lift when you get to know who will be with day to day.

If I can I would like to be able to walk it sometimes. Obviously there's going to be loads of days when it's going to be lashing rain or I'm running late or whatever but I just don't want to be relying on lifts or getting taxis all the time.

Longfield would be ideal in that case. Loads of places on Cashel Road that you should be able to get somewhere close, also down the side of the rugby club.

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=698539
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=700747 (4 women in this one!!)
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=699197
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=695802
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=699548
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=696363
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=699623 (pricey!)

All in suitable areas.
    Most looking for year long let but I'd chance ringing them and offering them 6 months.

I just noticed that there's a halting site behind dromard. Should I be worried about that?

• Advertisement

I know there was some hassle with them in the place at the top of the hill (Barr an Aird I think it's called but not sure), horses on the green etc. Not sure about anywhere else but we didn't have hassle on main cashel road.

No hassle in Drom Ard at all with the halting site. No access to it from Cashel rd and have never seen any of our ethnic community in the neighbourhood

One more question: Im finding it hard to get a place on the Cashel road but theese a special deal on Taxi's for Abbott employees so i'm starting to look further down town. Wondering is it far from the Clonmel park hotel into the town centre and shops etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Vizzy

20-30 minute walk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

One more question: Im finding it hard to get a place on the Cashel road but theese a special deal on Taxi's for Abbott employees so i'm starting to look further down town. Wondering is it far from the Clonmel park hotel into the town centre and shops etc?

20-30 min walk into the town centre but there is a Supervalu next door to the hotel and a petrol station 5 mins away.

Meathlass wrote: »
    20-30 min walk into the town centre but there is a Supervalu next door to the hotel and a petrol station 5 mins away.
    Thats in the poppyfield retail park?

Thats in the poppyfield retail park?

Yes the Poppyfields retail park is right next door to the hotel. It's got (from memory) World of Wonder, Supervalu, a cafe, Slatterys (electronic stuff), Woodies, some home furnishing places, carphone warehouse, McCauley's chemist, Paco (women's clothes shop), hairdressers, laundrette and KFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Monisey

Yes the Poppyfields retail park is right next door to the hotel. It's got (from memory) World of Wonder, Supervalu, a cafe, Slatterys (electronic stuff), Woodies, some home furnishing places, carphone warehouse, McCauley's chemist, Paco (women's clothes shop), hairdressers, laundrette and KFC.

Cafe is closed down, Slatterys is now DID Electrical, PACO is gone as well, moved down town.

Shame that the cafe closed, it was handy. :)

Monisey wrote: »
    Cafe is closed down, Slatterys is now DID Electrical, PACO is gone as well, moved down town.

Shame that the cafe closed, it was handy. :)

oops, thanks for the correction. I'm not suprised that PACO moved back into town. The main street of a town is the place for a clothes shop, not a retail park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Paco moved to McMahons former shop, opposite the Main Guard.

• Advertisement

Never knew it would be so hard to find a place. Still looking!

Out of the 21 houses with rooms available on daft in Clonmel 8 of them are located either on the Cashel or Fethard road which are both within walking distance of Abbott. They nearly all say 1 year plus but I would just ignore that.

Is it a case that you can't find anywhere or you are viewing places and not getting them? Some landlords might be nervous about letting a student stay. I would stress (if it's true) that you will be going home weekends and working mid week or maybe just say you've a 6 month contract there without mentioning the work placement aspect.

Out of the 21 houses with rooms available on daft in Clonmel 8 of them are located either on the Cashel or Fethard road which are both within walking distance of Abbott. They nearly all say 1 year plus but I would just ignore that.

Is it a case that you can't find anywhere or you are viewing places and not getting them? Some landlords might be nervous about letting a student stay. I would stress (if it's true) that you will be going home weekends and working mid week or maybe just say you've a 6 month contract there without mentioning the work placement aspect.
    Dromeala and ard caoin are very near that halting site so that's those two out. The one in long field is gone and another wanted a year.

Going to see 2 places in Auburn park tomorrow. Hopefully one of them will work out.

Droimeala is meant to be grand, with no hassle from the halting sites, wouldn't rule it out based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Dromeala and ard caoin are very near that halting site so that's those two out. The one in long field is gone and another wanted a year.

WTF is this. I live quite close by there and never is there any hassle.

What about posting up a notice in Abbott saying you're looking for a house-share?

cml387 wrote: »
    WTF is this. I live quite close by there and never is there any hassle.
    I wouldn't like to live there but thats just what I think

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I wouldn't like to live there but thats just what I think

Very narrow minded view, I used to live in that area too, it was prob the safest area I've ever lived.

• Advertisement

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Very narrow minded view, I used to live in that area too, it was prob the safest area I've ever lived.
    We drove past it during the week and i'm just not sure I would like to have to walk straight past it on the way to/from work. There were a couple of horses and large dogs there too.
    But if they don't cause problems then maybe its worth considering.

Advertisement