Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clattenburg cleared by FA

• 22-11-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

FA decide Mark Clattenburg has no case to answer on SSN now!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So being a very poor referee is not a crime then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well, well, well....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think there was ever any doubt this would be the outcome. I don't believe that he really ever had much of a case to answer, but the FA need to be totally transparent about this and how they came to this decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Mikel has also been charged with mis conduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yet another story to deepen my dislike for Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I smell a shít storm ..well to CFC Rafa .

Was it public knowledge who the person who made the accusation was because Alan Leighton of the referee's union has just mentioned his named on Sky Sports News?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

So Chelsea cast terrible slurs on his reputation but couldn't make them stick. Surely he has a case against Chelsea now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Sky Sports News ‏@SkySportsNews Chelsea's John Obi Mikel charged by FA with misconduct over incident after game with Manchester United #SSN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Was it public knowledge who the person who made the accusation was because Alan Leighton of the referee's union has just mentioned his named on Sky Sports News?

Well for those of us not currently watching SSN.....don't be afraid to unveil him yourself!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Leighton claiming Clattenburg may sue Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hope Chelsea are punished, trying to ruin a mans life just because they lost a football match

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Leighton seems to be coming on a bit strong here, Chelsea had a responsibilty as an employer to investigate a claim than an employee was racially abused, did he just expect them to do nothing?

Having considered Counsel’s opinion, and in view of all the circumstances of the case, The FA does not believe that there is a case for Mr Clattenburg to answer.

Equally The FA is satisfied that the allegation against Mark Clattenburg by Ramires was made in good faith. It is entirely possible for a witness to be genuinely mistaken and convincing in his belief.

Looks like nothing will happen Chelsea or Ramires since the FA believe that the complaint was made in good faith.

Leighton would want to wind his neck in. The FA statement said that the complaint by Ramires was "made in good faith".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why does it take son long to sort these things out. Its been a month.

I know people need to be interviewed etc but surely there could be a quicker turn around? Clattenburg may not be peoples favorites but he has been "suspended" for weeks now with this hanging over him.

I hope if he does sue he gets a big pay out given what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Caveman1 wrote: »
    Leighton seems to be coming on a bit strong here, Chelsea had a responsibilty as an employer to investigate a claim than an employee was racially abused, did he just expect them to do nothing?
    So now, Chelsea know they have an employee who makes false claims about being racially abused. Clattenburg is very much a look at how much power I have referee but he doesn't deserve this.

The most interesting thing I found about this incident was that Clattenberg was immediately suspended while the investigation went on. Chelsea did no such thing with Terry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    So now, Chelsea know they have an employee who makes false claims about being racially abused.

Oh FFS. The FA have specifically said they believe Ramires made the claim in good faith. It's on page one of the bloody thread.

This wasn't some vindictive conspiracy because Chelsea "lost a football match", it was an organisation acting on behalf of their employee who reported racial abuse through formal channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

geeky wrote: »
    Oh FFS. The FA have specifically said they believe Ramires made the claim in good faith. It's on page one of the bloody thread.
    yeah but Mikel is in trouble it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

MD1990 wrote: »
    yeah but Mikel is in trouble it seems

...in trouble due to his reaction, not because he made the accusation.
    Mikel's charge relates to an "alleged use of threatening and/or abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour in or around the match officials' changing room."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good, now thats its over we can get back to football.

Chelsea are pissing all over the game of football at the moment. Something needs to be done about them. Making baseless claims of racism against a referee who is immediately suspended while essentially doing nothing about their own club captain who is found guilty of racist abuse.

Then you have their owner hiring and firing managers like there's no tomorrow, wasting tens of millions in compensation. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Chelsea are pissing all over the game of football at the moment. Something needs to be done about them. Making baseless claims of racism against a referee who is immediately suspended while essentially doing nothing about their own club captain who is found guilty of racist abuse.

JT was banned by the FA after an investigation.
    Then you have their owner hiring and firing managers like there's no tomorrow, wasting tens of millions in compensation.

Nothing to do with the Clattenburg case.

geeky wrote: »
    Was his claim true or false? For the last month or so Clattenberg has been under a needless cloud because of a false claim made in good faith.

Someone who reprints a libellous story believing it to be true is still committing libel. In this case its slanderous what was said, regardless as to what he thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Caveman1 wrote: »

They have a legal and a moral obligation to investigate any claims of racial abuse. They do not have any right to go about making unsubstantiated claims claiming racial abuse against any individual who will now have this hanging over his head forever, regardless of the fact that he has been exonerated by the police and the FA. They, more than most clubs, should appreciate how delicately a situation like this should be approached.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Think the point here is that Terry was allowed to play during the investigation. Clattenberg has been suspended for no reason, as it turns out .

Nothing to do with the Clattenburg case.

Yeah it was up to the FA to punish him. What did Chelsea do to him? Carry on, John.

The Abramovich thing is part of a wider argument, linked to this one.

And I've just read Chelsea's statement. They haven't even apologised to Clattenburg! They're more interested in making the point that they were right to report the claims rather than any concern for a man who was tainted with racist allegations. It beggars belief.

Then you have their owner hiring and firing managers like there's no tomorrow, wasting tens of millions in compensation. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

They did punish Terry, behind closed doors. Probably something like taking 3% of his wages for one week and asking him kindly not to do it again.

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Think the point here is that Terry was allowed to play during the investigation. Clattenberg has been suspended for no reason, as it turns out .

The FA couldnt ban him because of the court case and the club were never going to suspended him until a case had been heard which took months to sort and he was found not guilty.

When he was found guilty then by the FA the club acted then.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was up to the FA to punish him. What did Chelsea do to him? Carry on, John.

The Abramovich thing is part of a wider argument, linked to this one.

As his employers they were always going to stand by him and they were right to.

When the FA acted then Chelsea acted.

Chelsea were hardly gonna to suspend him for nearly a year before a civil and FA case was heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm sure both Anders Frisk and Tom Henning Ovrebo can testify about the virus of a club Chelsea FC are becoming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Clattenburg: 'To know you were innocent of something but that there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening.'

Disgusting act by Chelsea.

I'm sure both Anders Frisk and Tom Henning Ovrebo can testify about the virus of a club Chelsea FC are becoming

You may find that was the " fans " and not Chelsea FC who got on the backs of those ref's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Clattenburg has to sue, shame he will possibly announce his retirement shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Good, now thats its over we can get back to football.

I thought you'd been round longer than that.

• Advertisement

Clattenburg statement:
    "I am looking forward to putting this behind me and concentrating on refereeing in the Premier League and other competitions. I am extremely grateful for the invaluable support of my family, my Select Group colleagues, the management of Professional Game Match Officials Limited and our union Prospect. The messages of encouragement from those inside and outside of the game have helped me through the most stressful time of my professional life.

"To know you were innocent of something but that there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening. Racism has no place in football and this experience should not discourage those to speak out if they genuinely believe they are a victim of abuse. However, there are processes that should be adhered in order that any investigation can be carried out in a manner that is fair for all parties involved.

"I know first-hand the ramifications of allegations of this nature being placed into the public domain ahead of a formal process and investigation. I hope no referee has to go through this in the future."

Chelsea statement:
    Chelsea Football Club accepts the Football Association's decision regarding Mark Clattenburg and welcomes the fact that the FA recognises the club and players were correct in reporting the matter.

The FA states Chelsea took the correct action following the Manchester United match and encourages all players who believe they have been either subject, or witness, to discriminatory abuse to report the matter immediately to the match officials on the day, and in turn to the FA.

The club also notes the charge brought against John Mikel Obi. While the player does not deny the charge, he will request a personal hearing to explain the mitigating circumstances.

With regards to the Mark Clattenburg decision, the club accepts the case is now concluded and notes the FA states the allegation was made in good faith.

Chelsea FC cooperated fully with the FA and provided 11 witness statements covering all events during and after the Premier League game on October 28.

Chelsea FC has a duty of care, as do all employers, to act responsibly when such allegations are reported by employees. We did not take the decision to lodge a formal complaint with the FA lightly and followed the correct processes and protocols throughout. The club carried out a thorough investigation, led by outside legal counsel, using all information available to us. As the FA makes clear, it is not uncommon for investigations to lead to no disciplinary charge being brought.

All those directly involved have been subjected to scrutiny over the last weeks. Chelsea FC now hopes that all concerned can continue to carry out their duties without prejudice.

We are committed to working alongside all referees and their assistants to ensure games are conducted in the right spirit and that all our players and staff accept and observe the match officials' authority and decisions.

Chelsea really would sicken ya.

Really surprised and disappointed by Chelsea's statement. Not even a hint of an apology to Clattenburg http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2988432/title/statement-on-clattenburg-decision

It's interesting to see that Chelsea's duty of care only extends to their employees when it suits them.

As his employers they were always going to stand by him and they were right to.

When the FA acted then Chelsea acted.

Chelsea were hardly gonna to suspend him for nearly a year before a civil and FA case was heard.

But Chelsea didn't suspend him. They took 'confidential' disciplinary action against him. So they didn't suspend him and they didn't take the captaincy off him, both of which were the least they should have done if they were serious about the case at all.

Really surprised and disappointed by Chelsea's statement. Not even a hint of an apology to Clattenburg http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2988432/title/statement-on-clattenburg-decision

Why would they apologise? Sure they're poster club of all that's good and wholesome in football, if that statement is to be believed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You may find that was the " fans " and not Chelsea FC who got on the backs of those ref's.

So it's merely a coincidence that they were both involved in officiating a Chelsea match for the abuse to arise, that they haven't featured at the top since, and that Frisk was forced to retire from refereeing after the hounding he received from "screwing" Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

My question is how can Mark Clattenburg ever ref another Chelsea match again after this and be seen as impartial? Also how can he ref what happens if he gives a penno in the last minute of the last match of a season to any team that may need to win to stop Chelsea winning the title or send them down.

I know I would hold a grudge if what happened to him happened to me.

But Chelsea didn't suspend him. They took 'confidential' disciplinary action against him. So they didn't suspend him and they didn't take the captaincy off him, both of which were the least they should have done if they were serious about the case at all.

Taking the captaincy off him is a token gesture it means nothing. If it had happened you'd still have people calling for him to be suspended by the club.
    kippy wrote: »
    I thought you'd been round longer than that.

Huh?
    So it's merely a coincidence that they were both involved in officiating a Chelsea match for the abuse to arise, that they haven't featured at the top since, and that Frisk was forced to retire from refereeing after the hounding he received from "screwing" Chelsea?

In the case of the first ref,Tom Overbo, hes ref'd at the top after that incident, I dont know why because he was terrible that night. Frisk retired due to death threats that Chelsea FC were hardly sending him.

Huh?

As in, that it's not about the football(directly), it hasn't been for the past 20 years. The football is not exciting enough for mainstream consumption.
    It's about:
    1. The money.
    2. The publicity.
    3. Getting the football into the main news pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Its like the Terry case. Just because they dont have the evidence to charge him, doesnt mean it didnt happen. Fortuanately Chelsea arent the FA and cant just charge people after they have been found innocent in a civil action.

But it doesnt matter what chelsea or chelsea supporters say, cos for all you chelsea haters out there, its just another lovely big fat evil pie for you to feast on.
    So all you "Disgusted from Dublin\mayo\whatever" Enjoy!

I can just picture you haters sitting there, with your pants around your ankles, getting all foamy around the mouth and muttering through gritted teeth " Oh I hate chelsea, i hate them I do, I really really do! :D
    Sad , sad individuals

Oh and Clattenburg is such an innocent and never been in trouble has he?;)

Its like the Terry case. Just because they dont have the evidence to charge him, doesnt mean it didnt happen. Fortuanately Chelsea arent the FA and cant just charge people after they have been found innocent in a civil action.

But it doesnt matter what chelsea or chelsea supporters say, cos for all you chelsea haters out there, its just another lovely big fat evil pie for you to feast on.

I can just picture you haters sitting there, with your pants around your ankles, getting all foamy around the mouth and muttering through gritted teeth " Oh I hate chelsea, i hate them I do, I really really do! :D
    Sad , sad individuals

I dont "hate" any one entity, especially when it comes to something such as this.
    Why would I "hate" Chelsea FC or indeed any other organisation unless they had done me some personal harm?

Sad , sad individuals

How on earth do you extrapolate that diatribe from; "Really surprised and disappointed by Chelsea's statement. Not even a hint of an apology to Clattenburg,"? Seriously.

Sad , sad individuals

How on earth do you extrapolate that diatribe from; "Really surprised and disappointed by Chelsea's statement. Not even a hint of an apology to Clattenburg,"? Seriously.

It's easier for him to adopt a ''haters gon' hate'' approach rather that accepting the fact that the club he supports is a bit of a joke.

From BBC website:

Alan Leighton, national secretary of the referees' union Prospect, would like Chelsea to apologise and compensate Mark Clattenburg.
    "There are lessons to be learned," Leighton told Sky Sports News. "Mark is very upset that his reputation has been dragged through the mud by this process, there was no need for Chelsea to make the public aware of the allegation.
    "There is also an issue of flimsiness about the evidence provided. We need Chelsea to accept the verdict, apologise to Mark and compensate him for that."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

It wasnt aimed specifically at you or kippy, just at the mindless morons who can only post " I hate chelsea" and what a disgraceful club they are blah blah blah

But again, why should they apologise? Its clear that Mikel thought he was racially abused, but just cant prove it.
    Did Ferdinand apologise to Terry? Do you think he should have after being cleared after the court case?
    Of course not

• Advertisement
Advertisement