Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

They tend to put crappy PSUs into their builds. Also, the CPU is last generation.

Do you need Windows/keyboard/mouse/speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Don't need Windows/keyboard/mouse/speakers.
    Thanks for that, I was looking up reviews of the CPU and it seems aweful.
    Going to do more research, would you recommend Intel or AMD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

For gaming in that price range I think an i3 is your best bet.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i3-3220 Box, LGA1155|€108.14
    HIS HD 7850 GDDR5 1024MB DVI/HDMI/2xMini DP|€157.48
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.28
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€34.00
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€28.33
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 500GB SATA 6GB's|€53.54
    ASRock B75 Pro3-M, Sockel 1155, mATX|€61.94
    Rechner - Zusammenbau|€20.00
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€524.70

The last thing on the list "Rechner - Zusammenbau" is for them to put it together for you. You could do this yourself if you wanted, it's not too difficult and many have done so after getting advice here and reading a few online guides.
    By going with this site you can pick every part yourself so you know they are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

chrismon wrote: »
    Going to do more research, would you recommend Intel or AMD?

Against the i3, you'd be looking at something like the FX6300. AMD will do better when it can use the cores on account of there being 6 while the i3 has just two plus hyperthreading. In applications that don't rely on/don't make use of many cores, Intel will do better (e.g., gaming for the most part, however graphics cards play the biggest role).

Intel have better options for upgrades right now, especially if you get a Z77 motherboard which will allow you to overclock some CPUs (3570K, 3770K), which is easy.

AMD still have good options - CPUs like the 8420 or 8350 which are great value against the i5s, but again, the real gain is when you can use all the cores. AM3+ socket should last at least one more generation, so you'll have expanded options down the line, while Intel's 1155 socket has about 6 months left and we probably won't see any more major releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Thanks a million for the help, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement