Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geoff's v Waterford City Council

Options
  • 22-11-2012 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

This pic I stole from Facebook was taken in the window of Geoff's today. Seems they are taking a stand against the high (some would say ridiculous) rates of WCC.

Good to see someone taking a stand... or setting a bad precedence?

546810_4810131172375_527361615_n.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I'm tempted to point out that Geoff doesn't like paying for anything but in this case all I can say is how disgraceful these rates charges are. Publicans have enough to be forking out each month.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This should be interesting, can't see Geoff's winning out in the end though

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

i bet if a customer went in and ordered a drink and then refused to pay on a point of principle, they would get a fairly sharp response from Geoff and co!!!

having said that, the issue of business rates/charges needs to be addressed....one sector is unfairly carrying the burden of financing local authorities.....this point is conveniently forgotten in the household charge debate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

i bet if a customer went in and ordered a drink and then refused to pay on a point of principle, they would get a fairly sharp response from Geoff and co!!!

having said that, the issue of business rates/charges needs to be addressed....one sector is unfairly carrying the burden of financing local authorities.....this point is conveniently forgotten in the household charge debate!

SIXTEEN GRAND? WTF?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

one sector is unfairly carrying the burden of financing local authorities.....this point is conveniently forgotten in the household charge debate!

Pfft, expecting people to approach the issue logically when its more fun for them to shout and scream about it and say how bad the government is?

Are you crazy???
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

7upfree wrote: »
    SIXTEEN GRAND? WTF?

exactly---it's too high!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Not clear what period that figure is for, it might be arrears.

However, the What For? question can be answered by saying street lights and sewage disposal.

Seems a bit expensive!

Its a pity more businesses don't take a stand against the council over their crazy 'rates'.

I enclose that word in quotes, because for rates, read 'business tax'.

How else is the council going to keep up the essential services, like hanging baskets and artworks?

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

16 Grand!! that is just disgraceful, what do these charges actualy pay for? its no wonder the city is closing down with these kind of rates!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

This would probably explain why the prices never go down in there and I was recently asked for €1.80 for a bag of peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Bringthethunder

There given the option to pay per week which would work out at round 310 euro a week. Nothing to that place with the money they make. Publicity stunt is what this is, they will be looking for a WRH type march/protest next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

There given the option to pay per week which would work out at round 310 euro a week. Nothing to that place with the money they make. Publicity stunt is what this is, they will be looking for a WRH type march/protest next.

So you are privy to Geoff's revenue and profit figures eh? Perhaps you can tell us then how much profit Geoff's makes per year hmm?

I'm sure that the services provided by the corporation wouldn't come near to the €16k that Geoff's is being charged. Also for sure is the high rent and rates figures contribute towards the number of boarded up premises in the city centre area.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Didn't he try this stunt when the smoking ban came in . Then he went and built a smoking shed .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't recall any kind of stunt when the smoking ban came in. What stunt did he pull?

lertsnim wrote: »
    I don't recall any kind of stunt when the smoking ban came in. What stunt did he pull?

Same thing as what his doing now .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

henboy wrote: »
    Didn't he try this stunt when the smoking ban came in . Then he went and built a smoking shed .
    lertsnim wrote: »

I remember there was talk of him splitting the bar in half, right down the middle, so that the left hand side was smoking n drinking and the right hand side would be food and drink. Obviously was never going to get away with it, but is that what you were talking about henboy?

Jason Todd wrote: »
    I remember there was talk of him splitting the bar in half, right down the middle, so that the left hand side was smoking n drinking and the right hand side would be food and drink. Obviously was never going to get away with it, but is that what you were talking about henboy?

Ah ye something like that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

Probably only trying to highlight it more than anything along with a bit of publicity. The rates are atrocious in the county for businesses as well not only the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The country needs a rates strike, it wouldn't take long for our legal friends to realise that a way can be found to lower them.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Yes, by bringing in domestic rates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing wrong with domestic rates, or is that your point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well, something needs to give. Business is dropping and rates are on the increase. The council/government needs to address this issue and promptly.

One of the problems appears to be businesses putting the rates on the long finger (I assume this is the case here) and paying other bills with priority. Then, you have a much higher rates bill left which is very difficult to pay. The council, from what I am being told, are more than willing to help in anyway they can and sort out a repayment programme but it appears the rates issue wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Cut out the freebies to brazil to look at coconuts and mad travelling expenses given to councillors that might help lower the costs

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Munurty

Geoff's is a limited company and has to file accounts which are available to the public.

Name GEOFF'S WATERFORD LIMITED Number IE041177

They have no problem paying these rates as they have a very large cash reserve. It seems it's out of protest rather than no being able to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Surprised this is news...

I know a local pub in a local village who's rates are €6,500 per annum. You need to sell 13,000 pints to clear margin to pay that, nevermind other costs like wages etc.

I know a closed down hotel where the rates are €37,000. Yes €37k and that is in a town not so far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I know of a liquidater who is trying to sell a factory in Co Waterford and the County Council will not do a deal with him on the rates , they are looking for more in rates than he can get for the sale of the building! so impasse.
    He tells me Waterford County and Kildare are the only Counties in Ireland who will not deal when it comes to rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Munurty wrote: »
    Geoff's is a limited company and has to file accounts which are available to the public.

Name GEOFF'S WATERFORD LIMITED Number IE041177

They have no problem paying these rates as they have a very large cash reserve. It seems it's out of protest rather than no being able to pay.

Just checked it there, if this was a business on it knees I would feel very sorry for them or even a business that is only doing moderately well. As it stands E16,000 is pennies for him and if people were aware of how much money he has/is making from Geoffs then he would get no sympathy from anyone. How are rates calculated, is it on profit or the size/type of the business? I understand they need to come down alright but it can't be spearheaded by an extremely profitable business like Geoffs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I personally know of 3 businesses that have closed down due to the absolutely crazy rates being charged in Waterford city centre.

One went to the landlord of the premises they were renting and came to a very decent deal where the rent was reduced due to the economic climate and even with suppliers they were able to do deal, but the council absolutely refused. Even with the threat of it closing the business as it not financially viable to continue paying those rates the council wouldn't budge.

Eventually they had to close the business and made a point of going down to the city council office and simply informed them, "Congratulations, you're the reason I had to close my business and put 4 people out of work, you must be so proud of yourselves". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

O Riain wrote: »
    How are rates calculated, is it on profit or the size/type of the business?
    The way rates are calculated is two-fold, from my memory it works something like this:

First, there is a Rateable Value on every property, which is based on the size (sq. metres) of the property and its location. Thus, the rateable value for a large city centre premises would be a lot higher than a small unit in a suburban business park. The RV on a property is set by Valuation Office Ireland.

Second, there is a 'multiplier' which is what the Councils set in their budget each year. This is just a figure like 33.67 which is multiplied by the rateable value to give the amount owed on a property. Something like that anyway.

I'd say the Council can't do deals on rates, even if they know the business will close, as it's probably against competition law, and even so they couldn't just do a deal for one business and not others.

Businesses asking "What for?" - well Geoff should already know, but things like Winterval, Harvest Festival, Tall Ships, Viking Triangle, and all the other things the Council pay for that benefit businesses, not to mention obvious things like keeping the streets clean. Most Councils in the country have anywhere between 20-50% of their income coming from commercial rates. They are essential income. They need to be reduced, no doubt about it, but I think this change needs to happen at Government level and not Local Authority level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

The amount of bitching about the "who" rather than the "what" is depressing since the general consensus is that rates are too high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Birdfood

Commercial properties in Waterford were re-valued for rates this year. New rates will be set soon based on data collected this year. The aim is to have a fairer spread of rates. Let's see.

http://www.valoff.ie/reval_schedule.html

Advertisement