Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower Issue

Options
  • 22-11-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi
    I am having a problem with my triton electric shower that has a pull cord type switch.
    When showering we are intermittingly losing power to the shower. The shower goes dead and the light on the pull cord is also going out.
    When you turn the power off and back on on the pull switch we have power restored to the shower.
    I suspect there is an issue with the pull cord when it gets hot something is killing the switch.
    I checked the wiring last week and had a loose live on supply side and neutral on the shower side, These are all tightened up now

Anyone any opinions before I replace the switch

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am having a problem with my triton electric shower that has a pull cord type switch.
    When showering we are intermittingly losing power to the shower. The shower goes dead and the light on the pull cord is also going out.
    When you turn the power off and back on on the pull switch we have power restored to the shower.
    I suspect there is an issue with the pull cord when it gets hot something is killing the switch.
    I checked the wiring last week and had a loose live on supply side and neutral on the shower side, These are all tightened up now

Anyone any opinions before I replace the switch

Cheers
    ya more than likely new pull cord
    get your electrician to fit a good quality switch
    mk etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

I would think you need a new pull cord switch ,make sure that you tighten the cables well,These switchs often give trouble it is worth spending a bit exrta and buy a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Check to make sure the breaker at the fuse board is not getting hot, feel with the back of your fingers carefully. Also check the pull cord switch surface.
    It could be a bad connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

Changed the switch and took the old one apart , on the contact that had had previously had the loose neutral on the Shower side the contact was burnt up. Thanks for the help.

IMAG0614.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Dont use the pull cord to switch the shower on or off while the shower is on.... This causes the pull cord to switch the full load of the shower.
    Happy to hear your sorted, now go have a shower you smell :-p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

markad1 wrote: »
    Dont use the pull cord to switch the shower on or off while the shower is on.... This causes the pull cord to switch the full load of the shower.
    Happy to hear your sorted, now go have a shower you smell :-p

Its unlikely users will use the pull chord to switch the shower load. Loose connections can cause the switch to overheat, the contacts then oxydize and burn, since they are simply 2 metal parts touching, so they can burn without being operated on load.

Leaving the pull chord always on is a good option as well imo. Or even better is use a wall switch instead.

Advertisement