Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Enabled exchanges

Options
  • 22-11-2012 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

I've been looking all over for a list of Eircom DSL enabled exchanges without success; could anybody tell me where I can get this information please ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

warbird wrote: »
    I've been looking all over for a list of Eircom DSL enabled exchanges without success; could anybody tell me where I can get this information please ?

Hi warbird
    You can find information regarding our exchanges here on the eircom Wholesale site.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a map on that site Tony but no list as such.

eircom has 1200 odd exchanges.

930 odd have ADSL1 of which
    400 odd also have ADSL2 (which is marketed as NGB) of which latter
    100+odd are selected for further upgrade to VDSL and in some cases fibre ( Marketed as Fibre Powred) and with more to follow at some future stage.

15 of the 270 Odd Exchanges that are not yet enabled don't even have ADSL1 despite being promised ADSL1 by eircom in late March 2007.

I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for anything more advanced to arrive given that track record.....almost 6 Years to provision basic broadband and no idea when the program will be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There is a map on that site Tony but no list as such.

eircom has 1200 odd exchanges.

930 odd have ADSL1 of which
    400 odd also have ADSL2 (which is marketed as NGB) of which latter
    100+odd are selected for further upgrade to VDSL and in some cases fibre ( Marketed as Fibre Powred) and with more to follow at some future stage.

15 of the 270 Odd Exchanges that are not yet enabled don't even have ADSL1 despite being promised ADSL1 by eircom in late March 2007.

I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for anything more advanced to arrive given that track record.....almost 6 Years to provision basic broadband and no idea when the program will be completed.

Hi Sponge Bob
    Not an exact list no. But as this is the most comprehensive information available to me and OP may not be aware of it, I though it may help:)
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 37 warbird

Thanks both Tony & Sponge bob.
    As it happens I spent quite a while trying to decipher the map on Eircom Wholesale site prior to posting. Would a comprehensive current status be available under FOI from Department/Comgeg ?

A physical location for these is important for me too ...

• Advertisement

Department of communications will give you nothing, try this perhaps.

https://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?docid=1cBM23Tvk7dssvG6--ksohUPRL6-juXAHzLQiMYE

Click Visualise and Map ( top left)

Or this superior rendering based on that.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39502907/query21Public.html

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

People have been asking Eircom for this information for years and Eircom refuses to supply it. Best we have is the unofficial info provided by Spongebob

Approx 1200 Exchanges.

Approx 270 of these have now been abandoned i.e. Eircom has no plans to ever enable them for broadband. These include Exchanges in the cities and Exchanges that Eircom previously promised to enable before the shutdown of the broadband rollout out program.

Eircom refuses to provide an official list of the abandoned Exchanges. They will also of course refuse to provide a full list of their Exchanges or of the enabled Exchanges as this will allow people to see which ones have been abandoned.

thanks a million Sponge Bob - this is exactly and more than I was after, super information excellently presented. Now the process begins ...

Process? :eek:

think - pinky and the brain :)

• Advertisement

Most lines will be connected to cabinets within 3 years...is what I think. Exchanges will be a rural thing.

Advertisement