Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AdWords Question

Options
  • 22-11-2012 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

A quick AdWords question. Let's say I have my AdWords account linked up to Analytics, and I have AdWords Conversion Tracking in place too.

I get a conversion in from AdWords, which is an inquiry through my Contact form, or a sale. How can I track this conversion within Analytics, to see where the visit came from, and to follow it through from landing on my site to making the inquiry? In other words, how can I pinpoint the path taken by the visitor up until the point at which they sent me an email on the site?

Is this via funnels and goals? I presume so, but they haven't been set up yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

you could male a profile only for your adwords and then set uo goals and goal conversion - use funnels

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

riveratom wrote: »
    ... how can I pinpoint the path taken by the visitor up until the point at which they sent me an email on the site?

Is this via funnels and goals? I presume so, but they haven't been set up yet.
    It depends on what the funnel would look like (is there a variety of routes to your end goal and is there a manageable way to link the various options [e.g. using RegEx]) as to whether or not it would be wise to try and achieve this using funnels.

If it's as simple as...
    Contact page > Contact Form Page 1 > Contact Form Page 2 > Thank You Page

You'd get the most valuable information using funnels to track it all accurately.

If, however, you're getting AdWords traffic referred to a large number of diverse landing pages, have multiple non-obvious paths towards the various conversion pages and have a number of conversion pages, you'd probably find it easier to simply use the "Reverse Goal Path" to see the data you're looking for.

As blue4ever suggested, set up a profile that filters the traffic down to just your AdWords data (or all paid advertising data if you also you Bing Ads [formerly Microsoft AdCenter] and/or FB et al) and you'd be easily able to monitor the paths taken by the relevant traffic to your various goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    It depends on what the funnel would look like (is there a variety of routes to your end goal and is there a manageable way to link the various options [e.g. using RegEx]) as to whether or not it would be wise to try and achieve this using funnels.

If it's as simple as...
    Contact page > Contact Form Page 1 > Contact Form Page 2 > Thank You Page

You'd get the most valuable information using funnels to track it all accurately.

If, however, you're getting AdWords traffic referred to a large number of diverse landing pages, have multiple non-obvious paths towards the various conversion pages and have a number of conversion pages, you'd probably find it easier to simply use the "Reverse Goal Path" to see the data you're looking for.

As blue4ever suggested, set up a profile that filters the traffic down to just your AdWords data (or all paid advertising data if you also you Bing Ads [formerly Microsoft AdCenter] and/or FB et al) and you'd be easily able to monitor the paths taken by the relevant traffic to your various goals.

TsuDhoNimh and blue4ever, thanks very much for your replies.

To give a bit more info, the way AdWords is set up as is as you say above TsuDhoNimh, we have several campaigns with several ad groups pointing to different landing pages. So it sounds like the profile method might be the way to go - as I understand it, that will allow us to just view all AdWords - relevant data just by clicking on that profile?

Do you know what the exact steps are to do this though? I just know that Analytics can be finicky in that if you aren't sure you are tracking things correctly, you can't be sure that the data is reflective of what is actually happening.

Ok if I get you correctly you want to see an overarching view of your Adwords/paid people – like a mini analytics view of them? It’s understandable as the standard filtering for them doesn't really isolate them to microscope them.

Ok its achievable – with caution.

It’s all to do with the structure of the url passed back to your server via the adwords/paid links (as opposed to a ‘natural’ link. The makeup of the Adwords/paid url is markedly different and therefore will allow you to segregate that information info separate profile so that you can isolate those punters separately.

As you can appreciate that can get very detailed – so here’s a first pass.

I’m going to make the assumption that we just want to track all “paid” search results (I’m doing this to be kind to myself here!!)

So in your analytics go to your account and into the site you want to add the filter to.
    Over to Admin (top right) > New Profile
    Call it “Paid” for example and set the time zone
    Create

(The reason for a new profile is that it mirrors the main data but wont fcuk about with it – that’s always safe in the main profile)

You are brought to a new page on that Click on the Filters Tab
    + New Filter>

Filter Information:

Name : Something original like “Paid”!
    Filter type: Click on the Custom Filter button to get more options>
    Click the Include button (make sure it’s include as we are including this in the filter)
    Filter Field: (dropdown to) Campaign Medium
    Filter Pattern: in that box put in “ppc|cpc” – without the “ “ and make sure there are no spaces.
    Case sensitive : no

Save

There – you now have a new filter – it's the main stream of Analytics data with data with certain parameters filtered out.

To see it - it should be under your main web account called paid.

Just remember two things – it won’t apply retrospectively (no filter will) and it might take a few hours to kick in.

AND - you could have done that with segmenting - but the above will put you on a path that will allow you to further segment the pad traffic - adwords/facebook/youtube etc

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

blue4ever wrote: »
    Ok if I get you correctly you want to see an overarching view of your Adwords/paid people – like a mini analytics view of them? It’s understandable as the standard filtering for them doesn't really isolate them to microscope them.

Ok its achievable – with caution.

It’s all to do with the structure of the url passed back to your server via the adwords/paid links (as opposed to a ‘natural’ link. The makeup of the Adwords/paid url is markedly different and therefore will allow you to segregate that information info separate profile so that you can isolate those punters separately.

As you can appreciate that can get very detailed – so here’s a first pass.

I’m going to make the assumption that we just want to track all “paid” search results (I’m doing this to be kind to myself here!!)

So in your analytics go to your account and into the site you want to add the filter to.
    Over to Admin (top right) > New Profile
    Call it “Paid” for example and set the time zone
    Create

(The reason for a new profile is that it mirrors the main data but wont fcuk about with it – that’s always safe in the main profile)

You are brought to a new page on that Click on the Filters Tab
    + New Filter>

Filter Information:

Name : Something original like “Paid”!
    Filter type: Click on the Custom Filter button to get more options>
    Click the Include button (make sure it’s include as we are including this in the filter)
    Filter Field: (dropdown to) Campaign Medium
    Filter Pattern: in that box put in “ppc|cpc” – without the “ “ and make sure there are no spaces.
    Case sensitive : no

Save

There – you now have a new filter – it's the main stream of Analytics data with data with certain parameters filtered out.

To see it - it should be under your main web account called paid.

Just remember two things – it won’t apply retrospectively (no filter will) and it might take a few hours to kick in.

Super stuff mate, set that up during the week - thanks.

Advertisement