Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go on holidays as a child?

• 22-11-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

My family were a bunch of lazy sods, I never went anywhere on holiday as a kid and I'm quite bitter about it :). I recall going for an occasional day out (to Knock, amongst other nightmares) but I never actually spent nights away with family. I'm curious did people of a similar age to me go on hols regularly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

In Winter, they would let me inside. It was glorious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

How old are you?

I am from a big family, and like many others in the 80's, we struggled with money. I remember about three holidays as a kid to holiday parks in the UK and one trip down the country.

I'm thrilled that the folks can afford holidays now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Very lucky, rented a gite in a different part of France every summer and used it as a base to travel to different parts of Europe, good times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

ElleEm wrote: »
    How old are you?

I am from a big family, and like many others in the 80's, we struggled with money. I remember about three holidays as a kid to holiday parks in the UK and one trip down the country.

I'm thrilled that the folks can afford holidays now though.

Three Holidays ElleEm!!!! Jays! you were lucky! In the 70's if we saw the arse end of Courtown 2 sunday afternoons in the one summer where we could dander along the beach in our windcheaters being flayed alive by the whipped up sand, we considered ourselves lucky!

But then again, we did live in a shoe-box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Never went on a holiday as a child, born in 80's. First actual holiday was when I was 20, went to the US with my girlfriend.

Was lucky enough to live in a picturesque part of Ireland with plenty beaches and summer tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Course I did. I always feel bad for people who never did.
    I used to feel really bad for my friend coz they would always just go down to their granny's holiday home in Wexford - but thinking about it now - that would actually be really nice - kids are happier roaming about and paying than going on sun tours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Mosney!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I was lucky enough to go abroad almost every year as a child. Some years, we even went twice. I was born in the early 90's though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Three Holidays ElleEm!!!! Jays! you were lucky! In the 70's if we saw the arse end of Courtown 2 sunday afternoons in the one summer where we could dander along the beach in our windcheaters being flayed alive by the whipped up sand, we considered ourselves lucky!

But then again, we did live in a shoe-box.

Sorry, I was showing off!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Great, so it was pretty much just me that didn't go on hols. Right, those gits are going in a home tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Wexford

six weeks every summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,195 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My kids were bleating about not going to France this year. :rolleyes: I went on my first holiday at age 12, and that was a week to Rush. In a caravan. Woohoo. :(

Second holiday was to Spanish Point for a week at age 14. I got to see the World Cup final in a pub. We never went on a foreign holiday.

The only 'foreign' trip was an overnight to Liverpool to visit my sister. My dad brought me to Goodison Park to see Everton beat Stoke 3-0. We met the players in the players' bar after. I got many of their autographs, including Peter Shilton's. Jeez, I was 16. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wexford

six weeks every summer

Rich Fecker ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭gidget

I was another 80's kid. Went to Spain twice & went to visit aunt & uncle in England twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Yup. France, Spain, England, some nice places around Ireland. It was a grand aul time so it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Born early 80's, went camping every year, in some random campsite in Ireland. Went camping once in France, and in a mobile home in Wales. Went for a few caravan holidays as well.

Still go camping myself, and it can be great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

All these holidays sound amazing (even the caravan)! I'd say Fritzl's daughter got away more regularly than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Great, so it was pretty much just me that didn't go on hols. Right, those gits are going in a home tomorrow :D

Er...hellooo-oh! Did ya not read me misery-lit?

Holidays? What were they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Pherekydes wrote: »
    My kids were bleating about not going to France this year. :rolleyes: I went on my first holiday at age 12, and that was a week to Rush. In a caravan. Woohoo. :(

Second holiday was to Spanish Point for a week at age 14. I got to see the World Cup final in a pub. We never went on a foreign holiday.

The only 'foreign' trip was an overnight to Liverpool to visit my sister. My dad brought me to Goodison Park to see Everton beat Stoke 3-0. We met the players in the players' bar after. I got many of their autographs, including Peter Shilton's. Jeez, I was 16. :rolleyes:

The only holiday I had with my parents was when I was 15.
    I screamed bloody murder at the thoughts of spending a week with them on my own, so 2 friends came along with me.....to a caravan...in Lahinch...in October :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I'm also very lucky. We were by no means rich but my old dear is amazing with money and she would scrimp and save all year for our summer holidays. As Ireland got better we went on two holidays a year. 2 weeks in the summer and a week in around October. They brought me all over Europe and North Africa.

Only one year we didn't go and that's because we saved and saved and lived like complete povs for 18 months and all 5 of us went to America for a month.

Good oul days. Really hope at some stage I can do the same for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

We went to Wexford every year, rented a holiday home down there for a week or two! Went to England once and Spain once.
    I loved Wexford though, rented the same house every year and got To know eVeryone around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

vicwatson wrote: »
    Rich Fecker ;):p

Total opposite at that time:D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Never went abroad as a child, my 'holidays' were a week or two staying at my cousins who lived in the same county, didn't go abroad until I was in my mid twenties.

Still, I had brilliant craic all them summers as a kid, it was the 80s / early 90s, kids are ruined these days compared to what we were brought up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

Yeah, off to the seaside in Co Clare for a week most summers till I was about 16. The furthest we ventured was the Isle of Mann once, never really went abroad as a family. I was never on a sun Holiday till I was 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

A camper van trip along the west coast.

Mighty craic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Merkin wrote: »
    Very lucky, rented a gite in a different part of France every summer and used it as a base to travel to different parts of Europe, good times!
    You lucky gite! Our idea of a holiday was going on the train with the old lad to roscrea so he could attend a job interview. We did that once.. when I hit 16, I holidayed the hell out of myself to alleviate the deprivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Got to go on a school tour to Madrid when I was in "Tran Year". Had to fly through London as there was no direct flights at the time. :rolleyes:

That's not even the worse part, had to get a ferry from Dublin to HollyHead, a coach from there to London before flying London Madrid.

The absolute fucking humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Reading some of this I feel a little spoiled.....born in early 70's and move to Canada for first 3 years of my life and came to Ireland twice on holidays during that time. Went to America for 3 weeks in 1980 staying with uncles in New Jersey, exploring New York and then we drove, stopping in motels on the way to Florida for a week. Was amazing. Did Disney etc all when I was only 6.

The following year we went to Galway and I got sunstroke! Other than that would go to Bundoran and stay in my Cousins caravan pretty much every summer and would go stay with Cousins in Cavan. Then when I was 10 went to Holland to visit my aunt with another aunt and uncle and cousins and granny. Was brill. Amsterdam - Anne Franks house, Museums, Canals the works and Maduradam and Schevingin in the Hague.

Didnt really go anywhere out of the country again until I was 15 due to a little brother being born but then we went to Canada and America for the 3 months of the summer. Back to Edmonton where we had lived so my dad could acclimatise for World Veteran Athletics games in Oregon. Was another amazing holiday coz when we were going to Oregon we had a camper van and drove down through the Rockies into America and on way back came through Vancouver Island and Vancouver. Pity I was a bit of a grumpy teen and didnt really appreciate it.

When finished my leaving cert my parents gave me an interail ticket and myself and my mate headed into Europe but only ended up going to England Holland Belgium and Germany coz of boys we met on the way!

Holidays have always meant the world to me and travel gives great memories. I try to bring my kids somewhere each year even if it is only over to see my sister in Edinburgh or to London for a weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Never went on a holiday with my family. Went over to England with my mother a few times to visit her sisters - did a bit of sightseeing whilst there.

After that - it was day trips with various visitors that would stay in our house and we would go and see the local sights. I must have been to the Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle & Mitchelstown Caves a hundred times :o

Went to Mosney once or twice. I remember one time but I have a feeling we went twice. This was mid and late 90s, the recession lasted a bit longer in my house. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Occasionally we wouldn't be bet with sticks nd fed coal. So yes we had holidays.

Jaysus we were so poor we brought in the rubbish not out.

Feckin kids these days don't know they were born.

Idle little feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Well Tarquin and I would sometimes summer on the Riviera, where mumsy would rodger the pool boy to within an inch.

Father would be away on safari with the Eton crowd of course.

We spent many a fine day shouting at commoners or shoving cash up polo ponies bums.

Jolly good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

My family were a bunch of lazy sods, I never went anywhere on holiday as a kid and I'm quite bitter about it :). I recall going for an occasional day out (to Knock, amongst other nightmares) but I never actually spent nights away with family. I'm curious did people of a similar age to me go on hols regularly?

Maybe you should ask why? I know we didn't go on holidays it was the 80's and my parents wouldn't have had the income to bring us away! but we did have fun filled days, fishing, picnics, dips in the freezing bloody ocean BEST MEMORIES EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We were very lucky and would holiday in Ireland or the UK on alternating years. I realise that my parents made huge saving and sacrifices to ensure we got away for two weeks...

We try to do the same now, scrimp and save all year to get away.. Even during the "boom" we had to save to get away...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

I went to Rome :D

Rome around Dublin :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Every summer for about four years the whole family used to go to America. Have an uncle living out there so would visit him, hire a car and travel around for two months. Internal filights from coast to coast too. Managed to visit all the mainland States, most of Canada and parts of Mexico. Thoroughly fascinating experience, and one I'd love to embark on again if I had the time and money. I credit my fascination with all things American, and my love of geography, to those summers spent travelling the States. I'm truly thankful to my parents for providing that experience to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I grew up in the 90s and early 00s and was lucky enough to be brought abroad quite regularly. Both my parents have a huge interest in travel and still go away together a couple of times a year. They like to visit unusual destinations not the package sun holiday kind of thing so I got to see and experience a lot of different cultures which I'm very grateful to them for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

I grew up in the 90s and early 00s and was lucky enough to be brought abroad quite regularly. Both my parents have a huge interest in travel and still go away together a couple of times a year. They like to visit unusual destinations not the package sun holiday kind of thing so I got to see and experience a lot of different cultures which I'm very grateful to them for.

What's your tally ?? Mine is quite high because I have been on a few cruises, but I have countries like Gibraltar, Haiti and other exotic destinations on my portfolio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I was brought up in England, and each year we would go to Ireland for our holidays. My parents would load the car up with all kinds of crap for our "poor" relations, and this would be gratefully received by the cousins, aunts and uncles. What my parents didn't seem to realise was that the relatives were fuckin loaded and that we were skint. The canny relatives didn't let on, the greedy fuckers.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

As my parents.told us, we don't go on holidays because the holidays come to us.via our grandparents visiting. On the plus side, they paid off the morgage early.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Grew up in Dublin in the 80's but our holidays were generally down to the uncles farms in Cork. Both parents came from Cork farming families. So a few weeks down there in July or August each year was grand. Sometimes it was boring if it rained but you still suited up and went out exploring. Fields, streams, cows, loads of places to climb. Catching frogs was a favouite pasttime too. Local bog girls thought I was exotic too coming from Dublin. And I actually thought they were exotic too with their accents and friendliness not like some of the skangers on my estate in Dublin.
    And the uncle or aunt or me oul lad would take us on day trips in the car out to Youghal or someplace. Anywhere where there were choc-ices or chips and we were grand.

Those were my holls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Tramore
    West Cork
    Dublin

I lived the dream.

Jaysus! Are you all telling me that the furthest any of you went was England?!
    Half of you must be afraid to say that you went abroad, because there can't be that few who did.
    Well I went abroad once every summer since I was born - different places each time - Greece, Lanzarote, Spain, Italy, Finland, the U.S., France, the U.K., probably a few more - can't think right now.
    Then we would also go on Irish holidays random places too once or twice a year.
    Someone said earlier in the thread that they felt spoiled and they had gone to London - What the hell does that make me then?
    I honestly thought most people went on family holidays.
    It's nice to get away and all, but I think I would have preferred to stay at home and play with my friends all summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Jaysus! Are you all telling me that the furthest any of you went was England?!
    Half of you must be afraid to say that you went abroad, because there can't be that few who did.
    Well I went abroad once every summer since I was born - different places each time - Greece, Lanzarote, Spain, Italy, Finland, the U.S., France, the U.K., probably a few more - can't think right now.
    Then we would also go on Irish holidays random places too once or twice a year.
    Someone said earlier in the thread that they felt spoiled and they had gone to London - What the hell does that make me then?
    I honestly thought most people went on family holidays.
    It's nice to get away and all, but I think I would have preferred to stay at home and play with my friends all summer.
    I think most people just couldn't afford it back then! Especially if there was a few kids in the family!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Went to Waterford to stay with the rellies, that was it.

Gee_G wrote: »
    I think most people just couldn't afford it back then! Especially if there was a few kids in the family!

Yeah, you see I was an only child for the first 9 years, and then there were 2 babies - neither of which cost much, if anything to bring anywhere for the first while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Munstermissy

We had a caravan in Ardmore, co Waterford late 70s/early 80s, 6 kids in total. The minute we finished school all packed into the car (cortina) and off we went for the summer, 4 in the back, one on the handbrake and the youngest on my mothers lap, different time then, lol.. 3 days before we were due back to school, we packed up for home. No tvs, DVDs, DS lites, etc, we gallivanted for the summer.

First time abroad, I went au pairing for the summer in Madrid to improve my Spanish for the Leaving, I was 16. I doubt many parents would leave their teenagers off to Spain for the summer now. Good times then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    As my parents.told us, we don't go on holidays because the holidays come to us.via our grandparents visiting. On the plus side, they paid off the morgage early.
    That's what mine did as well. Old lad would earn £100, £85 would go to mortgage. What was left we lived on, which meant biscuits were a huge luxury, bus was the car and Oxfam was the Penneys. Literally. My kids would stab me in my sleep if I even tried living like we lived, they've foreign hols every year, often 2 or 3,and regard it as totally normal. I blame the parents, personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Was lucky enough to go away every year as I was growing up. When I was fairly young we went a few times to a place in Wales called Pewelli (I'm 100% sure that's spelled totally wrong!) Looking back now it was pretty much a shít hole but I have great memories of that place.
    Then my parents saved their asses off all year to bring us to Florida every year for about 12 or 13 years and Spain a few years too. We didn't have a lot of money but my parents always saved hard to give us a holiday every year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement