Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this true....

Options
  • 22-11-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

That their is a huge underground bunker under the government building at cranmore incase of war/nuclear attack etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Yes it's true. There is also a guest list of Sligo's VIPs (Sligo's best and brightest ie politicians, councillors) who the bunker is reserved for when z day comes. The rest of us plebs will have to make our own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Truley wrote: »
    Yes it's true. There is also a guest list of Sligo's VIPs (Sligo's best and brightest ie politicians, councillors) who the bunker is reserved for when z day comes. The rest of us plebs will have to make our own.
    QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

No, there is no bunker there. I was in it recently.
    It is just a basement for the building.
    Not hermetically sealed, not reinforced, nothing too special about it.
    It is called the Bunker, but it isn't really one at all.
    Civil Defence use it for training and meetings.
    There are some cool gas masks in it from the olden days.
    When the sh1t goes down, let all the 'important' people gather there.
    Then the rest of us can make sure that they stay there... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pete M. wrote: »
    When the sh1t goes down, let all the 'important' people gather there.Then the rest of us can make sure that they stay there... :cool:

Indeed and I must pass on the GPS coordinates to enemy forces, so they can obliterate the muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

in reality it's each to their own who would stop a well armed civilian taking up his place in the bunker!! Excuse me i think my bag of hand grenades says i'm on the guest list, look again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

They used to use the basement of the town hall before Canmore was build. But back in the 60's and 70,0's we were paranoid about the bomb.

They would co ordinate all the radiation readings for the area to predict where fallout would land.

In Dundalk they had one as well it was an old building I can't remember if it was the court house or he town hall.

Some great times had in the civil defence in the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Heh heh I have this really silly image in my head of being crammed into a bunker with half of Sligo. No offence, I think I'll take my chances on the outside guys :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

As Pete M. says, it's really just a basement. I believe the doors are lead-lined though but it doesn't have an independent air system.

Advertisement