Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Messed up .exe files

Options
  • 22-11-2012 7:52pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my brother is after completly messing up his whole laptop.
    For some reason he picked some .exe file and tried to open it bitorrent(i don't think it was on purpose).
    Now every shortcut on his desktop and changed to the bitorrent icon and none can be opened.
    I haven't looked any further at it,just told him to get the hell away from it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

All he has probably done is mess up the file associations. Under folder options file types each registered file type and the application which opens it is listed.

The 'opens with' application on some of them have been changed from what they should open with to open with bit torrent. You just need to set them back to what they should be/what you want them to be.

A system restore to the latest restore point should rectify it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

This guide should help default the .exe extension to open applications, there are a few troubleshooting steps to try!

Nick

Advertisement