Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Fashion a load of bollocks?

• 22-11-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭

Sitting watching tele with herself last night and she's watching "Off The Rails". They were talking about someone who's a "face designer" - taking that to be someone who puts make up on women's faces and not a plastic surgeon. They were going on about how she worked for some of the world's biggest fashion houses:confused: Is it not all a big pile of sh*te?

Standing in a fancy shop in dublin with herself one day (she's buying a voucher for her brother). Sales man comes up to me and starts yapping about this years trends and what is in fashion. He then asks me about my "winter wardrobe". I told him it's the same as my summer wardrobe only i wear a coat as well (still not sure why a man needs separate wardrobes for each season).

Missus and me are out for dinner with friends of hers one night and they are going on about clothes/fashion etc. One of them mentions a "winter white" coat she had bought. I asked her what exactly is winter white. She tells me "it's cream but it's more winter white than cream"......cue vigorous nodding from all the women.

Seriously is fashion not just a load of balls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Being fat is the new black.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Spiritual

Yes but people won't admit it. There is some serious rubbish out there that people try to pass off as fashion.

Skinny jeans on men, need I go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yes it is. Also, people who consider themselves 'into fashion' are ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

It's a load of fancy pants if ya ask me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sitting watching tele with herself last night and she's watching "Off The Rails". They were talking about someone who's a "face designer" - taking that to be someone who puts make up on women's faces and not a plastic surgeon. They were going on about how she worked for some of the world's biggest fashion houses:confused: Is it not all a big pile of sh*te?

Standing in a fancy shop in dublin with herself one day (she's buying a voucher for her brother). Sales man comes up to me and starts yapping about this years trends and what is in fashion. He then asks me about my "winter wardrobe". I told him it's the same as my summer wardrobe only i wear a coat as well (still not sure why a man needs separate wardrobes for each season).

Missus and me are out for dinner with friends of hers one night and they are going on about clothes/fashion etc. One of them mentions a "winter white" coat she had bought. I asked her what exactly is winter white. She tells me "it's cream but it's more winter white than cream"......cue vigorous nodding from all the women.

You should have pulled out your lad, shot a blast of bollock-champagne on her dress and asked her what colour that was. Stupid bimbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Nothing at allNothing at allNothing at allNothing at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Men's fashion is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've taken my fashion tips from lady gagagaga and now wear 16 packets of Galtee Bacon (oak smoked)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.

Oscar Wilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,926 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yes, I don't understand why anyone care about fashion trends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Course it is.
    I don't see why anyone follows it at all - bloody empty headed lollipops.
    The thing is though, it's not just the dumb air heads - I have a friend who reads all those cleb mags and is forever following the latest fashion, but she is super intelligent, has a masters from trinners and has a great job as a researcher.
    I don't know - leave them at it I guess.
    In the mean time I'll just stick with wearing what I like instead of what I'm told to like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Pssh - Giving out about fashion is soooo last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

When i'm stewing in my ****e job i draw great comfort from the fact that anyone in the fashion industry is in a more meaningless occupation than me. And my job is meaningless i can assure you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Fashion is a load of balls, but some current fashion trends are amazing.

This summer was hotpants what wer little bigger than knickers, "jeggings" and yoga pants plastered to the amazing arses of Galway's finest chungwans from march until late september.

So fashion has some uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

CJC999 wrote: »
    I've taken my fashion tips from lady gagagaga and now wear 16 packets of Galtee Bacon (oak smoked)

I wasn't paying proper attention to the radio there in the car, but I think they said that lady gaga was wearing a bra made out of teeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Paul Galvin left his teaching job to become one of these fashion obsessed males like Brendan Courtney writing articles and wearing the most ridiculous ill fitting clothes.

I respect him for his football skills but this attention seeking hipster bollicks off the pitch has to go.

Fashion wreaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

What is the point of these high falutin' fashion shows with clothes NOBODY is ever going to wear?

Bits of tinfoil/tinsel/used milk cartons and sh!te on a model that looks like shes taken a two week break in Somalia?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

Paul Galvin left his teaching job to become one of these fashion obsessed males like Brendan Courtney writing articles and wearing the most ridiculous ill fitting clothes.

I respect him for his football skills but this attention seeking hipster bollicks off the pitch has to go.

Fashion wreaks.
    Didn't he take a career break and not quit?. he's a teacher ffs. Enda was on one for 20 odd years give or take.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rebelkell wrote: »
    Didn't he take a career break and not quit?. he's a teacher ffs. Enda was on one for 20 odd years give or take.

Enda was officially a Teacher and still employed by the dept. of Education until a year or two ago and now draws a dept. pension.

The ****.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Fashion for me generally goes as far as deciding which band's t shirt I'm going to wear.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,543 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I consider myself fashion conscience in terms of what to wear for each season. GAA jersey during the summer. Soccer jersey during the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Rebelkell wrote: »

Yes, he left his job.

On a career break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I am a woman and I dont get fashion eithe I live in a pair of jeans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Fashion is a load of bollox. And whatever style is "in" at the minute is ridiculous. There's girls walking around everywhere looking like they covered themselves in glue and fell into a skip full of shít clothes. And to top it all off, they all have this messy hair like they've just been attacked. The mind boggles.

And don't get me started on people who use the word "fashionista". Fukn imbeciles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Fashion is just a hobby people have and there's nothing wrong with that. Some people are fashion nerds and seem to think that what they think applies to everyone else which is just narcissistic. Still, a lot of people just see it as something fun to do with their time, reading about it, making it and wearing it. I don't see the problem with that.

It's the people who think it applies to everyone else that are the idiots. There's a big difference between fashion and looking good (hence the old thing about fashion versus style.) You can look incredibly good, wearing well made clothes that are extremely classy without ever going near fashion. Look at the recent trend in "suiting up" (courtesy of Barney Stinson.) I'd imagine the vast majority of men quite like wearing a suit (on the right occasion, anyway.) It's true for looking good in most clothes, some people just take it to a different level with fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I call it "Derelicte".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

It's not really my cup of tea but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a load of bollocks. Arguments can be made for anything being either really good or really bad. i.e. "football is just a load of lads chasing a ball around a field!", or "dance music is just a load of repetitive nonsense that only someone on drugs can enjoy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

Fashion is living in the opinions of others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Look at the recent trend in "suiting up" (courtesy of Barney Stinson.)

Wearing a suit is a recent trend??

I've always loved wearing a suit. It's just a pity there's not more occasions when I get to wear one!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CillianL

So anyhow I've bought these acid washed, distressed skinny jeans in Urban Outfitters last week and I'm trying to match some retro boots with them, anyone got any ideas? Also any good places for tees and knitwear?

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

mariaalice wrote: »
    I am a woman and I dont get fashion eithe I live in a pair of jeans.
    a nice pantsuit never goes out of fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I even heard on the radio today about a group of lads in london who were into fashion........not just fashion but trying to be ahead of trend and cooler than their peers....all ok except........one of them started to walk with a limp to make him "stand out" a bit more than the others. A put on limp. Not real. A fake limp if you will. As in made up. Put on. Fúck i hope he gets knocked down and gets a fúcked up hip which leaves him with a real limp for the rest of his days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

People into fashion in general have no sense of style whatsoever.

Wolf Club wrote: »
    It's not really my cup of tea but that doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a load of bollocks. Arguments can be made for anything being either really good or really bad. i.e. "football is just a load of lads chasing a ball around a field!", or "dance music is just a load of repetitive nonsense that only someone on drugs can enjoy!"

You're right about football. What is it really? A load of men kicking a bit of leather ’round a field. You men, the things you think are ‘great fun’. Like going to the films, a load of men sitting around looking at films! And rollercoasters, a load of men in a rollercoaster going up and down on a big metal track! And sailing, a load of men in a big boat floating around in the sea! And shouting, a load of men going around shouting! And so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Fashion is hugely important to me.

If it's not Saint Bernard, it's not worth wearing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think I saw the worst thing ever recently.

A young lady walking about Galway with green tights, grey calf-length leggings AND shiny purple bicycle shorts on.

I mean ffs that is just taking the piss.

Fashion is nice when it makes you look better, not when it makes you look like Wurzel Gummage.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Am I the only one to stand up to say I enjoy fashion? (No, I don't follow the trends, one look at me and you'd know that instantly!) But I do like seeing what new stuff is coming in, seeing what the youngsters are wearing nowadays, and occasionally wearing a fashionable item, instead of just dressing casually all the time. And I love it when what I'm into comes into fashion as there's lots more choice, only I continue to wear them when they 'go out of fashion'!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Rubbish. Fashion is very important and says a lot about you as a person. This winter I will be wearing trousers from the Snickers Fall collection, the lastest Hoodies by Penneys and Timberlands darling cream coloured steeltoe boots. I live for fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

CJC999 wrote: »

You getting your clothes out of bins? You've passed the best before date on that fashion, it's all about the Maple this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Laugh my ass off. brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Remember that fella that was so good at fashion they had to shoot him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Fashion wreaks.

http://www.thisispaulgalvin.com

Bollocks tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

No there a some cuunts in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I just think it's nuts that a load of lads/ ladies sit around a table and dictate what people's wardrobes should be filled with for the upcoming year. What idiot allows some stranger to decide that next summer is gonna be all about lemon and pink check patterns?!

I wear what I like. I am influenced by colours I like (and always have liked, not just what's "in") and cuts that suit my shape.

On a side note, this one shoulder phenomena bothers the sh!t outta me. I firmly believe that in a few years we will look back on photos and CRINGE! And leggings that look like jeans? Fcuk off!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I hear wheelchairs are the next big thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Bring back Fruit of the loom!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭thier

You're dead right, and this is coming from a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

In reference to the "winter white" and the "cream" :L so different

0:55

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sheikhnguyen

given how many of the people who work in the industry wear sunglasses inside I think it is safe to say the whole lot of it is absolute ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement