Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Fashion a load of bollocks?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Tomk1 wrote: »
    If she keeps him warm at night (n'Vice versa), & they're happy togather, who cares what they wear, thankfully most people are not pretentious gits.
    It's not what you wear on the skin but what you wear under it, I hope respect and kindness comes into fashion, wait scatch that fashion is just a passing phase.

I don't think it's pretentious to want to look nice...

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, that's why a lot of women dress to impress other women.

You know, there's a whole world out there that doesn't consider the nightclub to be the height of sociality...

This thread is really scraping the bottom at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    You know, there's a whole world out there that doesn't consider the nightclub to be the height of sociality...

This thread is really scraping the bottom at this point.

Wow, you've totally blown my mind.

I better tell any young single lads I meet to try get women at the library or at a gala soirée.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    It kind of does. You don't see too many gents floating around town in top-hats with a monocle these days.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Either a top hat and a monocle looks good or it doesn't. The fact that it's in fashion or not shouldn't make a difference

I fully intend to bring this look back in. Like a sir. :cool:

I fully intend to bring this look back in. Like a sir. :cool:

You're one of many, good Sir!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

My wife says I look like Walter White. All I need is the hat, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I'm always amazed and disappointed by the slavish dependence on labels, particularly the very, very obvious labelling on Abercrombie, Hollister etc. It seems to suit people who have no idea about what looks good or what looks bad. They reckon that if they just have the right label showing (ideally as ostentatiously as possible), they'll be considered 'cool'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think that anyone can have taste or not, but to make someone really ugly, you need fashion.

Now, I'm female and I like a nice dress, I like some cool high boots, I really like certain fabrics, I appreciate that the way you dress can improve your looks massively.
    However, I also think that following fashion is a sure way to worsen your looks... designer clothes seem to be designed not to fit anyone, to accentuate your worst bits either by awful shape, horrible fabric or tasteless colour.

People should buy clothes that they like and that look good on them, not look "interesting" on the hanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

The presenters of "Off The Rails" are just two spoofers who got lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Ush1 wrote: »
    Women dress to impress other women.

Or, because wearing clothes you like is enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Personally I couldn't give a sh1t about what is fashionable, I wear what I think looks good

I wear what I have :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

"Women dress for other women" - that old bullsh1t chestnut just blurted out without thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

As the great dandy said, "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months" and he was dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

RainyDay wrote: »
    I'm always amazed and disappointed by the slavish dependence on labels, particularly the very, very obvious labelling on Abercrombie, Hollister etc. It seems to suit people who have no idea about what looks good or what looks bad. They reckon that if they just have the right label showing (ideally as ostentatiously as possible), they'll be considered 'cool'.

I'm not sure many people consider Abercrombie 'cool' anymore tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I'd say it's the same sort of wankeritude responsible for gob****es driving around in honda civics with chrome wheels and cheap looking bits of plastic hanging around the sides of the car for effect.

Different people have different things they're silly about. I'm sure I've got them and so do you. The hard part is that it's tricky to realise you've become an eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Namlub wrote: »
    I'm not sure many people consider Abercrombie 'cool' anymore tbh...

I guess those who queued outside the new shop might disagree. Obviously, I'm not a fashionista if I'm not keeping up with the trends. I still seem to see a lot of the hugely ostentatious A&F branding about. And then the fools move on to a different brand from the same company, just to squeeze a few more quid out of people who should know better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

mfceiling wrote: »
    Sitting watching tele with herself last night and she's watching "Off The Rails". They were talking about someone who's a "face designer" - taking that to be someone who puts make up on women's faces and not a plastic surgeon. They were going on about how she worked for some of the world's biggest fashion houses:confused: Is it not all a big pile of sh*te?

Standing in a fancy shop in dublin with herself one day (she's buying a voucher for her brother). Sales man comes up to me and starts yapping about this years trends and what is in fashion. He then asks me about my "winter wardrobe". I told him it's the same as my summer wardrobe only i wear a coat as well (still not sure why a man needs separate wardrobes for each season).

Missus and me are out for dinner with friends of hers one night and they are going on about clothes/fashion etc. One of them mentions a "winter white" coat she had bought. I asked her what exactly is winter white. She tells me "it's cream but it's more winter white than cream"......cue vigorous nodding from all the women.

Seriously is fashion not just a load of balls?
    You watch off the rails :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

OP, if you really think fashion is a load of bollocks would you be happy for your missus to completely disregard fashion alltogether? Pay absolutely no attention to trends at all, be it clothes, make up r hair? I don't think you would be very happy in fairness...

To be honest, I think that there are plenty of people who wouldn't care if their partner didn't follow trends in clothes, hair and makeup. It is possible to look nice, and for your partner to think you look nice, without following trends!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭bnt

David Bowie did a song ripping the p**s out of the Fashion industry:

... which some irony-impaired designers actually used on the soundtrack to their catwalk shows. Bowie would go on to marry a supermodel (Iman) and become something of a fashion icon himself:

The message? Beware of Fashion ... it can seduce and co-opt even the most cynical and drag them, kicking and preening, in to its world. :pac:

Ye Hypocrites, are these your pranks
    To murder men and gie God thanks?
    Desist for shame, proceed no further
    God won't accept your thanks for murder.

―Robert Burns

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

mfceiling wrote: »
    Seriously is fashion not just a load of balls?

Definitely. I think a lot of fashion trends are brainwash and look ridiculous.

I like buying nice clothes but I would never buy something just because it's considered fashionable.
    There is a difference between being well-dressed and going along with every fashion.

Advertisement