Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boycott x-mas!?

Options
  • 22-11-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

A boycott is an act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest. BUT do you have the Balls people!?

limit the amount of spending per child on gifts.
    limit the amount of spending on food...remember shops will re-open after the 25th.
    limit christmas decorations to only a tree and lights not for others to see,but for your own family enjoyment.

The real question is, would a boycott work for laois people!? WE all need to do something about major food corporations in laois..do you agree or dis-agree!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Or you could just call it Christmas instead of X-mas? And that would be a short step on the road to what you're seeking. Language and labels are power and allow others to construct our reality; as I'm sure you well know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I didn't know Ebenezer Scrooge was on boards.

Seriously though, I'm not quite sure what you're against here, could you clarify? Who are these 'major food corporations' and do you think a few hundred people would crush them?

I imagine most families are having a tight-belted Christmas anyway, ours included (Dad lost job in September and I've had to hold off college for this year because it was just too expensive). Don't be a grinch!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

food corporation supply trains...
    I don't need to name names right now
    We should all protest to get rid of the drink tax and smoking ban, people should be able to get out more....And thats not a bitter gibe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

jonbravo wrote: »
    A boycott is an act of voluntarily abstaining from using, buying, or dealing with a person, organization, or country as an expression of protest. BUT do you have the Balls people!?

limit the amount of spending per child on gifts.
    limit the amount of spending on food...remember shops will re-open after the 25th.
    limit christmas decorations to only a tree and lights not for others to see,but for your own family enjoyment.

The real question is, would a boycott work for laois people!? WE all need to do something about major food corporations in laois..do you agree or dis-agree!?

What the hell has the above to do with Laois ? Most pointless thread in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

What the hell has the above to do with Laois ? Most pointless thread in a long time.
    food.. could mean petrol pump you see..lets look at everything with an open mind dude CHill johnnys got ya covered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

jonbravo wrote: »
    food corporation supply trains...
    I don't need to name names right now
    We should all protest to get rid of the drink tax and smoking ban, people should be able to get out more....And thats not a bitter gibe.
    I have no idea what you're talking about...I'm getting a 'far out mannnn' vibe here...

And no, we shouldn't protest to get rid of drink tax or indoor smoking ban. Minimum pricing helps curb both binge drinking and alcohol abuse and I like to be able to go into a place without having smoke everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Somebody smoking the wavin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

What the hell is going on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Things are depressing enough in this country without boycotting Christmas!!!

Everyone is certainly going to be minding their pennies (again) this year but you have your sh*te in bucketfuls if you think I'm not going to spend what little money I do have on my kids and celebrating the best few weeks of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Way to patronisingly explain what a boycott is and then enquire as to my testicular status. Ive only seen one thing more patronising and pointless this year and that was those "pro-life" billboards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]

Aaaaaaand ...time to draw this one to a close, methinks.

[/MOD]

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement